Need Help Regarding NAT Type Complications on the PS4

That_PC_Kid
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
26 minutes ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Hello, my sister recently contacted me about having trouble connecting to the internet on her PS4 due to NAT Type failure. She is trying to connect wirelessly and she cannot get it to work. What can she do to troubleshoot the problem? She is trying to avoid getting an Ethernet cable but if she has to she will. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

22 minutes ago, Judd said:

If you could go ahead and go the Ethernet route she will have better connection and less latency. 

11 minutes ago, Zonther said:

Depends how far the AP is and the PS4 is. If she is haveing issues and the AP is not very far, try to reposition the AP and the PS4 so it has a better line of sight. I did this with my PC by turning it so the antenna faced my AP.

NAT type has nothing to do with WiFi. NAT or Network Address Translation is how the router uses 1 internet IP address and shares it with many machines. What @That_PC_Kid needs to do is figure out what ports need to be opened in the routers firewall. Not sure what ports the Play Station needs. Once the ports are open then the PS will have no issues communicating with the outside world. Your sister will need to make the PS4 a static IP, which is pretty easy. Then Open the ports for that IP address in the routers firewall settings. 

But the others are right, if your sister wants the best experience she will need to hook up to Ethernet. 

Hello, my sister recently contacted me about having trouble connecting to the internet on her PS4 due to NAT Type failure. She is trying to connect wirelessly and she cannot get it to work. What can she do to troubleshoot the problem? She is trying to avoid getting an Ethernet cable but if she has to she will. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If you could go ahead and go the Ethernet route she will have better connection and less latency. 

Depends how far the AP is and the PS4 is. If she is haveing issues and the AP is not very far, try to reposition the AP and the PS4 so it has a better line of sight. I did this with my PC by turning it so the antenna faced my AP.

26 minutes ago, That_PC_Kid said:

22 minutes ago, Judd said:

11 minutes ago, Zonther said:

NAT type has nothing to do with WiFi. NAT or Network Address Translation is how the router uses 1 internet IP address and shares it with many machines. What @That_PC_Kid needs to do is figure out what ports need to be opened in the routers firewall. Not sure what ports the Play Station needs. Once the ports are open then the PS will have no issues communicating with the outside world. Your sister will need to make the PS4 a static IP, which is pretty easy. Then Open the ports for that IP address in the routers firewall settings. 

But the others are right, if your sister wants the best experience she will need to hook up to Ethernet. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.