What do people use here on linustechforums?

What do you use for your keyboard and/or mice?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use for your keyboard and/or mice?

• USB
    • PS/2
    • USB is too mainsteam

Just a quick poll out of curiosity brought up in a video I watched.

I use an old RS-232 IBM keyboard for my browsing.

...Kidding kidding, all USB over here.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Here in the FAA we have mainframe systems from IBM that use a serial connection for ASCII terminals lol. No joke.

My Mech kb has a usb-> PS2 adapter and frankly I couldn't be bothered. USB all the way. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

8 minutes ago, sebfro said:

The results were pretty predictable

I don't know what you're talking about... totally threw me off!

USB. I was using a Unicomp Model M remake, but it just fell apart inside. So sad.

I use a 1998 PS2 keyboard with a made for Windows 98 sticker right on the top of it.

Not really who actually uses a PS2 keyboard at home?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

what about custom built arduino keyboard that interfaces with PC via bluetooth :P ?

There are actually keyboards that dont use either, as in they can pair with the device via bluetooth or infrared so theres literally no port that is used for the adapter either.

1 hour ago, NinJake said:

I don't know what you're talking about... totally threw me off!

We lucky Linus didn't make this topic or the title would be..

USB VS PS2 - The Results will TOTALLY Throw you Off! 

39 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

what about custom built arduino keyboard that interfaces with PC via bluetooth :P ?

There are actually keyboards that dont use either, as in they can pair with the device via bluetooth or infrared so theres literally no port that is used for the adapter either.

Wait infrared still a thing with keyboards, I remember them been god awful, but yeah a option for USB+Wireless and Bluetooth would be good, Give us a bit more diversity. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

We lucky Linus didn't make this topic or the title would be..

USB VS PS2 - The Results will TOTALLY Throw you Off! 

Wait infrared still a thing with keyboards, I remember them been god awful, but yeah a option for USB+Wireless and Bluetooth would be good, Give us a bit more diversity. 

actually the USB+wireless uses bluetooth too. The difference is one requires manual pairing and requires no other adapter or to plug in anything while the other is pre paired so you just plug in the adapter..

Just now, System Error Message said:

actually the USB+wireless uses bluetooth too. The difference is one requires manual pairing and requires no other adapter or to plug in anything while the other is pre paired so you just plug in the adapter..

Yes I do know this, just makes it easier as it is wireless but its technically going through a USB dongle, and Bluetooth there is no dongle so its direct. 

@Kirito24 maybe add a few more options and we can see some variance in the results. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

I used to use PS/2 for my keyboard but Windows 10 kept putting scroll lock on, and although that doesn't do anything, my OCD required me to turn it off each startup. So I just use it on USB