Need help deciding between BenQ XL2420TE & Dell U2412M, I am at the end of my wits

Spud387

I just bought a new PC (specs listed below) and I am torn between two monitors: BenQ XL2420TE & Dell U2412M. I know, very different displays, but I am having trouble deciding. I need your help!!!! Originally i was going to go with the Dell because I already own two Dell 2209WA's and I love them and the U2412M has great reviews. Then, the BenQ is praised by Linus, seems to be the best gaming monitor around with all of these wonderful features, but is still a TN panel...

Dell U2412M

$250

Positive

- IPS panel = better colours

- Ultrasharp = very reliable

- 16:10

- colours should match with my current 22" IPS displays

- Good all around monitor

Negative

- 60Hz

- 8ms (although i know this isn't a huge deal as it is low enough)

BenQ XL2420TE

$320

Positive

- 144hz

- Great for FPS games

- Great colours for a TN panel

- Great gaming monitor

Negative

- TN panel

- 16:9

This PC is mostly for gaming, but I do school work and some programming on it. I love FPS games like battlefield the most, but I also play Diablo, Starcraft, etc. When I run a game, I always try to use the highest graphical setting possible, even if I lose a tiny competitive advantage by having it look prettier. I love having my games look pretty, but I am also quite competitive and look for edges over my opponents.

PC:

i7-4770K CPU

Corsair 16GB 2400Hz DDR3 RAM

Asus Hero VI

Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Asus 680 GTX 2GB

Also, my understanding is that 120Hz & above gaming only is an advantage if your PC can manage over 60 FPS right? If so, as time passes and games get more demanding, my monitor will be less and less of an advantage because I can't keep my FPS as high right? If I cannot run at 120FPS @ 120Hz ot 144FPS @ 144Hz will I see tearing?

Please help me decide as I am torn between the better colours, viewing angles, reliability of the Dell and the 60Hz gaming experience and then the 144Hz, speed, and gaming advantage of the BenQ.

BenQ Linus's review on it

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

This Asus VG248QE (144Hz) is only $267. It might be worth looking into.

Otherwise, that dell looks really good. But for around those price, you might as well grab a Korean 1440p monitor off ebay.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

I actually heard that the BenQ actually has 3D built in.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

This Asus VG248QE (144Hz) is only $267. It might be worth looking into.

Otherwise, that dell looks really good. But for around those price, you might as well grab a Korean 1440p monitor off ebay.

The asus has a glossy stand and bezel so that makes it bad

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

The asus has a glossy stand and bezel so that makes it bad

It has VESA mounting and you can use matte glass film... Plus, you don't have to be that picky.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Personally i would go for the ips.

You enjoy having your games look good and to even get the benefits of the 144hz you would have to dial down your settings a bit sacrificing your picture quality.

Thanks, for the help,

I ended up buying the BenQ from a place with a return policy hoping it would be to my liking . Brought it home and yes, while the colours can look very good, for whatever reason, the font is just too pixelated and harsh compared to the e-IPS's next to it (spent 3hrs playing with the settings). Because I need to do word processing on this as well as games, it has to go back.

I have to say, running it at 120Hz or 144Hz is sooo nice. I can see the difference. So, if you don;t need to do much word processing on this, it looks great.

Ordered the Dell U1412M this morning. Thanks everyone!