Am I being unreasonable?

KuJoe

So earlier this month I ordered a refurbished capture card off eBay (Elgato HD60 Pro for ~$140). It came with a 30 day warranty from the seller plus a 1 year manufacturer's warranty because it was a refurb from Elgato. I tried the card on 2 different motherboards and 4 different PCIe slots and the OS on either PC would not recognize the card. I opened a request through eBay asking for a replacement from the seller since I saw they had a lot of cards in stock ("more than 10 left" according to the listing) and the seller agreed to the RMA and told eBay they would ship the replacement card as soon as they got the tracking number. I sent them the tracking number that day and the card arrived to them 2 days later on a Saturday. I sent them a message on the following Monday asking when I would expect to receive the replacement card and they apologized and said they already sent it out and provided me a tracking number.

A week later I get an e-mail saying the package associated with that tracking number had been delivered and signed for, I got worried and ran to my door and checked my cameras but no delivery had been made to my house. I checked the tracking number and it was delivered to a different state, I quickly typed up an e-mail asking what happened and they apologized again telling me that wasn't really my tracking number and I would be receiving a refund instead. It's already been over 2 weeks since I paid them and over 1 week since I returned the card. Two business days later I asked them when I could expect my refund and they told me that eBay would sort it out in a few days. Two more business days later I asked for an ETA and they tell me eBay will refund the payment on the 27th if nobody responds to the RMA request, I ask them to process the refund themselves and they went quiet.

I wonder why they chose to offer me a replacement instead of clicking the refund button in the RMA request but now they've gone quiet so it looks like I'm going to wait for eBay to get involved but they won't get involved for at least another few days. The seller looks like they make their living off eBay and with a feedback score of over 200,000 and has been active since 2001. I hate writing negative reviews, especially for a small business, but so far I've been lied to twice (told I was getting a replacement and then given a tracking number fully knowing they didn't ship me anything) and now they won't even give me a refund after I returned the item but instead are making me wait for eBay to get involved to process the refund. Am I being unreasonable? Should I just give them neutral feedback if I do get my refund? I know it's only $140 dollars but I feel that the way they are treating me and stringing me along is just unprofessional and horrible customer service, then again I might be totally off base here.

I am especially pissed off at the character limit for eBay's feedback and tempted to write up something similar to what I typed up here and just put a link in the feedback to the whole story.

-KuJoe

Just now, yathis said:

Character limit is there for a very good reason.

I know, it still pissed me off. :)

-KuJoe

4 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I know, it still pissed me off. :)

Such is life, gotta learn to deal with it. As this is such a minor issue.

Just now, yathis said:

Such is life, gotta learn to deal with it. As this is such a minor issue.

I agree, that's why I left it as a small sentence at the end of a post about a completely different issue. :)

-KuJoe

You dont have to destroy them in your review just don't be positive if that makes sense to you. Point out some positives as well if they were there. Like quick delivery of the order for example. Give them a mixed review basically. 

So I spoke with an eBay rep and they told me I have to wait until tomorrow before they are able to get involved, once they get involved it could be another 8 days before I see the refund though.

-KuJoe

Once you get the money, negative review. I don't even know why you ask, I feel like they more than deserve it, what an awful way to play with your money.

Yay! They processed my refund, but their latest message made me even more mad. The basically told me they purposefully wait until the last possible day to process refunds and the only reason to do this is to inconvenience the buyer. I'm still on the fence about buying a domain and running an SEO campaign against them so anybody searching their name on Google will see my experience...

-KuJoe

Tbh that sounds like a lot of work, just leave negative feedback 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

9 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

Tbh that sounds like a lot of work, just leave negative feedback 

Not really, maybe an extra 15 minutes on top of the review I've already written.

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, KuJoe said:

The basically told me they purposefully wait until the last possible day to process refunds and the only reason to do this is to inconvenience the buyer.

Did they seriously say that? That it was just to inconvenience you, the buyer, because you've returned a defective product?

If so, I sure hope you wrote a negative review.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, KuJoe said:

I'm still on the fence about buying a domain and running an SEO campaign against them so anybody searching their name on Google will see my experience...

You probably won't but do it anyway. 

no balls. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

22 hours ago, That_PC_Kid said:

I'd give them a bad review. So what if they are a small business? They tried fucking you over. I hope they go out of business.

Perhaps, give a short bad review and enough character limit left for a link to a full bad review. Haha. That would be pretty funny.

1 hour ago, KuJoe said:

Not really, maybe an extra 15 minutes on top of the review I've already written.

That's 15 minutes I could spend sleeping

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

Did they seriously say that? That it was just to inconvenience you, the buyer, because you've returned a defective product?

If so, I sure hope you wrote a negative review.

They didn't say that exactly, but every time I asked for a refund for the past week they said I would get it on the 24th. When I asked them today for the refund they told me:

eBay provides a date that we are required to process refund by and we abide by their policies. 

There is no legitimate reason to wait 10+ days to process a refund other than to delay me from getting my money. It doesn't benefit them for waiting that long, especially when every time they replied to my e-mails they had to login to their account and go to the dispute page where there's the option to click a button to refund my payment. Instead of clicking that button, they would reply to my messages telling me I need to wait for my refund.

-KuJoe

18 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

That's 15 minutes I could spend sleeping

I don't sleep. :(

-KuJoe

If someone cuts me off in traffic, I want to burn down their house.

Lots of great plans like that but I never follow through.

Too much work to get away clean.

I don't know much about how ebay works, but if you just got frustrated and have up... Could they just keep your money and not refund you???... Maybe they were dragging it or in hopes you give up???

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

5 hours ago, Spudbilly said:

I don't know much about how ebay works, but if you just got frustrated and have up... Could they just keep your money and not refund you???... Maybe they were dragging it or in hopes you give up???

No, after a certain time eBay would handle the refund. The only reason they were dragging it out was to inconvenience me.

-KuJoe