How common is it to receive a component that's DOA?

Later this year I plan on building my very first gaming PC ($2600 build) and want to purchase the components separately over time until I occumulate the complete build. (Saving the graphics card and CPU for last to be safe in case of DOA) but how common is it to receive a piece that's DOA because the DOA warranty's 30 days and I plan on on buying them over a 3 month span or so. Also, I only plan on ordering from NewEgg and Amazon unless there's a good deal on another reputable site. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

It's not very common to receive parts that are DOA but if they are you can easily contact the manufacturer or failing that you can just contact the distributor. 

I would imagine quite rare, I wouldn't worry that much about it. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

It's rare, but for that reason, I'd recommend buying your parts all at once... unless you manage to get a good deal.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I would say 1 in 20? As i have order hundreds times and only received some damage items but mostly wasn't major faults that limits the product but sometimes it heavily usually due to the shipping such twice EK predator came with a leak. 

Magical Pineapples

depends on the kind of hardware you buy.

pugetsystems has some articles on DOA's, and why they buy the brands that they do.

I've only ever recieved a few parts that are DOA... however I have received some parts that are damaged and for that reason they are returned to the seller.

Just recently my z170 board that I'd had for 8 months stopped working, I tried absoloutely everything to confirm that it was dead, sent it back to the retailer (Amazon) after contacting them, and they sent a replacement... on recieving the replacement I didn't even get as far as putting the CPU in as I noticed that the mobo  box was split on one side and had been sellotaped, and on opening the box to check the board, noticed that one of the wifi card contacts had snapped, possibly in shipping... but it's the taped box that's more disturbing for me, the board I was meant to receive was a new board, but with the taped box and damaged wifi module connector I'm not sure if it was or not, so sent that back too and requested a refund of the original price paid... I took photo evidence when unboxing luckily in case they disputed. Amazon have been good to me, but I protect myself against disputes...they have replaced stuff that many retailers possibly wouldn't, so I give them the benefit of the doubt and say this was a mix-up or possibly stock that had been damaged in the warehouse.

In the end I bought a different board from them too, have it up and running within 20 mins of recieving it, lol... now ticking away nicely as my new server build.

TL:DR - Buy from a seller that you trust and/or has a good customer service in case of things like this. With lower cost items doesn't matter so much, but big ticket items for sure.

[edit] Forgot to mention that the above is for over 20 years of builds, both for myself, family, friends and customers.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm concerned about a similar situation. I've been saving to build a PC for the past few years and am hoping to start buying parts at the end of the year.  Being in South Africa, electronics are slightly more expensive than overseas but big companies like newegg don't ship here. I looked on their site and the pricing is quite abit cheaper compared to here,especially with their graphics cards. I've been planning to get my uncle to get the graphics card or possibly more when he is over on a business trip. Would you consider this too risky as if the parts are damaged or come DOA, I would be in another country unable to send it back? Do you think I should take the risk or suck it up and pay the higher prices here and have the safety of having warranties? Thanks! 

5 minutes ago, GreenMarlin said:

Hi, I'm concerned about a similar situation. I've been saving to build a PC for the past few years and am hoping to start buying parts at the end of the year.  Being in South Africa, electronics are slightly more expensive than overseas but big companies like newegg don't ship here. I looked on their site and the pricing is quite abit cheaper compared to here,especially with their graphics cards. I've been planning to get my uncle to get the graphics card or possibly more when he is over on a business trip. Would you consider this too risky as if the parts are damaged or come DOA, I would be in another country unable to send it back? Do you think I should take the risk or suck it up and pay the higher prices here and have the safety of having warranties? Thanks! 

Assess the risk based on the price difference. Only you can answer this question, really. I buy items from abroad all the time and have them shipped overseas. It's pretty rare to get an item that's DOA based on my experience, though in-warranty RMAs are also more difficult to do in case something fails prematurely.

On 7/23/2017 at 4:56 AM, BirthControlBaby said:

Later this year I plan on building my very first gaming PC ($2600 build) and want to purchase the components separately over time until I occumulate the complete build. (Saving the graphics card and CPU for last to be safe in case of DOA) but how common is it to receive a piece that's DOA because the DOA warranty's 30 days and I plan on on buying them over a 3 month span or so. Also, I only plan on ordering from NewEgg and Amazon unless there's a good deal on another reputable site. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

As others have noted, DOA components are rare. The most common complaint I've seen is motherboard failures. Intel motherboards in particular are susceptible to cpu socket damage. If the board is flexed unduly, traces can be broken. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.