cooking oil cooled pc

I was thinking of using a glass fish aquarium and some cooking oil to create a oil cooled computer. I have looked up various websites and videos that say that you could use mineral oil or vegtable or cooking oil. I was thinking about testing this with a crap pentium 4 to make sure the idea is valid and if all goes well I would use a i5 4590  based system in oil. what do you guys think. is this a valid idea

I thought about that and that is why i am only using a i5 and not some extreme i7 though would it work to use cooking oil rather than mineral oil as some people have done

3 minutes ago, hellochicken said:

I thought about that and that is why i am only using a i5 and not some extreme i7 though would it work to use cooking oil rather than mineral oil as some people have done

I'm saying if something does break it is so hard to fix because of the oil, and you won't be able to replace anything under warranty once it goes in oil

Thank you for the response. I understand about the reliability issues and the warranty and im fine with taking this risk. I was wondering if it would be safe to submerge in cooking oil and wheather this idea is a massive STAY AWAY or POSSIBLE SUCCES .

Just now, hellochicken said:

Thank you for the response. I understand about the reliability issues and the warranty and im fine with taking this risk. I was wondering if it would be safe to submerge in cooking oil and wheather this idea is a massive STAY AWAY or POSSIBLE SUCCES .

Please use the quote button man

10 minutes ago, hellochicken said:

I was thinking of using a glass fish aquarium and some cooking oil to create a oil cooled computer. I have looked up various websites and videos that say that you could use mineral oil or vegtable or cooking oil. I was thinking about testing this with a crap pentium 4 to make sure the idea is valid and if all goes well I would use a i5 4590  based system in oil. what do you guys think. is this a valid idea

Don't use cooking oil there is a good reason it's not recommended, since the oil goes stale after a short period of time unlike mineral oil which remains stable. 

-Moved to Liquid and Exotic Cooling- 

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Please use the quote button man

Sorry....

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Don't use cooking oil there is a good reason it's not recommended, since the oil goes stale after a short period of time unlike mineral oil which remains stable. 

-Moved to Liquid and Exotic Cooling- 

Is mineral oil the only possible coolant for submersion... 

Just now, hellochicken said:

Is mineral oil the only possible coolant for submersion... 

There are others but they usually are at a high cost such as 3M novec fluid or synthetic transformer fluid depending on the type f you can even order it. 

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/novec-us/applications/immersion-cooling/ 

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

There are others but they usually are at a high cost such as 3M novec fluid or synthetic transformer fluid depending on the type f you can even order it. 

hmn seems complicated I guess I have no option other than to go to mineral oil. Thanks for the response

14 minutes ago, W-L said:

there is a power generator in the US that uses pure de-ionised water

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

there is a power generator in the US that uses pure de-ionised water

De-ionized water works but only for short periods of time if it's in contact with any metal that are readily able to give ions into the water. Most transformers use synethics theses days over the older mineral oil and now banned PCBs fluids which are not good for the environment or health.

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

De-ionized water works but only for short periods of time

If money is not an issue, then you could run a continuous water deionisation system constantly replacing the coolant

9 minutes ago, W-L said:

De-ionized water works but only for short periods of time if it's in contact with any metal that are readily able to give ions into the water. Most transformers use synethics theses days over the older mineral oil and now banned PCBs fluids which are not good for the environment or health.

youre not very good at picking up girls are you

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, DrMikeNZ said:

If money is not an issue, then you could run a continuous water deionisation system constantly replacing the coolant

Well it is possible to have loops using deionized water without problems with certain coatings and metals that won't readily give ions to the water. However with the electronics submerged that wouldn't work well not to mention what to do with all that water. Given no budget the Novec fluid would be something I'd consider since it has more effective cooling potential also since it uses an evaporative process. 

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

youre not very good at picking up girls are you

Not with a minerial oil PC we're not xD 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Well it is possible to have loops using deionized water without problems with certain coatings and metals that won't readily give ions to the water. However with the electronics submerged that wouldn't work well not to mention what to do with all that water.

We live in a world where the leader of the free world doesn't believe in climate change or protecting the environment, there aren't really any regulations left stopping you. The water goes to the ocean, and the hardware goes to landfill. When the system fails, throw it away and raise your middle fingers to the future of the planet.