Samsung 850 EVO absolutely refuses to deal with Windows 10

boat

Specs: i7-4790K, Gigabyte Z97M-D3H, 16GB RAM,

I have a new Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB, and over the past few days, I've been trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 on it. Here are the things I've tried.

• Convert to MBR, format, and install, refused to install.
  • Convert to GPT, format, and install, refused to install.
  • Cleaned, and formatted the SSD on my main PC.
  • Installed it on a Mushkin 500 GB SSD instead, it went flawlessly, but I have another use for this SSD planned instead.
  • Installed it on a Seagate 1TB HDD as well, and it also went flawlessly.
  • Cloned it over using EaseUS Backup, but it ended up with BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO
  • Used the Seagate HDD installation and clone it over to the 850 EVO with Samsung's migration tool, but everything went super slow and after restart, nothing worked once again.
  • Formatted and cloned it again with the migration tool, and skipped disk checking this time, but it BSOD'd again with BAD SYSTEM CONFIG.

Overall, I've had a bad experience with Samsung SSDs, not in terms of reliability, because that's amazing, but in terms of trying to install Windows onto it. Happened before on my laptop with an 840 EVO.

Can you elaborate more on 'Refused to install'?

I've seen some cases, but it was with Windows 10, where there was SOMEHOW an incompatibility with the USB drive I was using as the install media, and it left one machine for bizarre reasons, unable to install Windows.  It would start the installer, let me delete and format partitions, but when selecting a partition and starting installation it'd spit out an error refusing me.  The solution was to simply use different USB drive to run the installer off of.  Super weird.  This may not be your situation but the core issue here is probably in the details if the inability to install.

I'd refuse to deal with Windows 10 if I was the SSD! On a more serious note the SSD may have a firmware problem.

are you manually partitioning it!?!? you should not! you should let windows auto partition it

remove all partitions from the SSD before installing

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

are you manually partitioning it!?!? you should not! you should let windows auto partition it

remove all partitions from the SSD before installing

1 hour ago, SilverMight said:

Just let it auto partition it. 

We couldn't install Windows in the location you chose. Please check your media drive. Here's more info about what happened: 0x80300002.

On 7/23/2017 at 3:47 AM, boat said:

We couldn't install Windows in the location you chose. Please check your media drive. Here's more info about what happened: 0x80300002.

Do you have any other drives in the PC? If so, unplug them and try again (obviously not the SSD)

6 minutes ago, SilverMight said:

Do you have any other drives in the PC? If so, unplug them and try again (obviously not the SSD)

Yep, tried that.

I did manage to work around this issue by installing Windows on my Mushkin Reactor SSD that I intended for use on another PC, then migrated over to the Samsung SSD. It worked until it stopped being recognized on boot, so I admitted defeat, and will use the Mushkin SSD while I exchange the Samsung SSD for another.

Don't know how that'll turn out.

2 minutes ago, boat said:

Yep, tried that.

I did manage to work around this issue by installing Windows on my Mushkin Reactor SSD that I intended for use on another PC, then migrated over to the Samsung SSD. It worked until it stopped being recognized on boot, so I admitted defeat, and will use the Mushkin SSD while I exchange the Samsung SSD for another.

Don't know how that'll turn out.

Good luck with the exchange, hope the next one works fine for you.