want dual monitor setup. will it cap the refresh rate?

theminnesotanman

Currently have a single pg279q asus monitor at 165hz. was wondering if i added another 60hz monitor would cap the framrate of my monitor. Ive heard this complaint about the monitor but thought i should ask before buying a new monitor.

edit: my gpu is the 1080ti hybrid from evga

Just now, That_PC_Kid said:

Are you planning to use them side by side for gaming?

no i want to use the other one for productivity tasks such as programming, running background scripts and have obs and such open for when i stream.

1 minute ago, theminnesotanman said:

no i want to use the other one for productivity tasks such as programming, running background scripts and have obs and such open for when i stream.

You're good to go.

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

You're good to go.

okay sweet. any good recommendations for sub $200? Preferably from bestbuy (there is one just down the road from me.

Just now, theminnesotanman said:

okay sweet. any good recommendations for sub $200? Preferably from bestbuy (there is one just down the road from me.

For productivity?  Yeah, pick the one you think looks best that you can afford. 

For gaming, no.  They rarely if ever have anything in stock for gaming monitors.

If you look on their website you could order something, but then you could order from newegg or amazon too right?

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Note that if you run a GPU accelerated task on the other monitor, it may force any games you're running to the monitor's refresh rate. I've noticed when I watch a YouTube video on the side while playing a game, the game's capped at 60FPS.

how would i stop this from happening?

You don't do the thing on the other monitor.

so basically keep it to just the web based programs and obs?

It shouldn't. When I got duel monitors my 144hz I ran on DP and my 60hz I ran on HDMI and it capped my 144hz to 60hz. But if I ran them both on DP it works fine

If it doesn't exhibit this problem, sure. But I don't know if it will or not since I've only noticed it in that one case.

okay. also since we are on the topic of refresh rate. Ive noticed and some recent youtube videos that they(bitwit, jayztwocents) can display the current refresh rate of a monitor in the upper right hand corner. Do you know how to do this?

8 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

It shouldn't. When I got duel monitors my 144hz I ran on DP and my 60hz I ran on HDMI and it capped my 144hz to 60hz. But if I ran them both on DP it works fine

so run both on DP. Alright. Im gonna start looking at some monitors.

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If it doesn't exhibit this problem, sure. But I don't know if it will or not since I've only noticed it in that one case.

how do you check what refresh rate the monitor is running at. how will i know what my main is running at when i plug in the other monitor.

27 minutes ago, theminnesotanman said:

Yeah you're good. Matter of fact I'd suggest you keep your gaming monitor connected to your graphics card and have your new monitor connected to the iGPU/on-die GPU. Considering your profile picture shows the Ryzen logo I'd assume you have a Ryzen CPU. In that case you have no choice but to connect your second monitor to your graphics card.

11 minutes ago, theminnesotanman said:

okay. also since we are on the topic of refresh rate. Ive noticed and some recent youtube videos that they(bitwit, jayztwocents) can display the current refresh rate of a monitor in the upper right hand corner. Do you know how to do this?

That's not the refresh rate, but the frame rate. FRAPS is commonly used for this, but any game you run with the Steam Overlay can also do this now.

2 minutes ago, theminnesotanman said:

how do you check what refresh rate the monitor is running at. how will i know what my main is running at when i plug in the other monitor.

Either on the driver control panel or the monitor's on-screen settings display .

Also just to clear up, the issue I described does not change the refresh rate of the monitors. It just caps the maximum frame rate the game can run. Unless you're confusing refresh rate with frame rate, which are two separate things.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

That's not the refresh rate, but the frame rate. FRAPS is commonly used for this, but any game you run with the Steam Overlay can also do this now.

Either on the driver control panel or the monitor's on-screen settings display .

Also just to clear up, the issue I described does not change the refresh rate of the monitors. It just caps the maximum frame rate the game can run. Unless you're confusing refresh rate with frame rate, which are two separate things.

So just to be clear. As long as i dont use a gpu bounded task on the second display, it SHOULDNT cap it but if it does just check and see what the fps is at on my main gaming monitor.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Correct.

alright i will be looking for some monitors tonight and will probably be picking one up tomorrow. Thanks all for the responses it has been a huge help!