Want a decent backlit keyboard. Mechanical?

Steo

OK, so since my computer isn't exactly the worst in the world I'm thinking of getting a new keyboard. I want one that's backlit because of both looks and so I can see what I'm typing if it's dark. I want it to be easily visible unlike the really cheap ones. I bought one before that was cheap because it was listed as backlit. When I opened the box and plugged it in, to my surprise it only lit up around the edges of the buttons just making it impossible to see (acutally easier to see with the lights off) which brought me back to using a Dell one again.

Basically I want one that's decent enough and backlit but if it's gonna cost a fair bit for it, would it be worth paying that bit extra to get a mechanical one with switches do you think? I've never used a mechanical one but I always hear they're much better than standard ones.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240

2 minutes ago, Vespertine said:

That's actually a fairly reasonable price compared to what I expected. I usually order from amazon.co.uk but that exact one doesn't seem to be on the UK site. I'll have a look on a few sites and try find it.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

2 minutes ago, steocullen91 said:

That's actually a fairly reasonable price compared to what I expected. I usually order from amazon.co.uk but that exact one doesn't seem to be on the UK site. I'll have a look on a few sites and try find it.

This isn't so bad either https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/KJM323/eagletec-kg011-wired-gaming-keyboard-kg011

4 minutes ago, Vespertine said:

Cool thanks. Might aswell go for mechanical so. I did find the one you mentioned in the first reply but for £99.99 (€111.51) ($129.71 U.S) ($163.31 Canadian (OK so now I know why Luke keeps saying bad stuff about the Canadian Dollar value))

That's more than twice the price it is on amazon.com which is practically robbery xD https://www.amazon.co.uk/Redragon-K555-Mechanical-Keyboard-Backlight/dp/B01532XXFI/ref=sr_1_37?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500582025&sr=1-37&keywords=redragon

The first thing I forgot to factor in is the layout since ours use the UK layout. The US layout isn't that much different it's basically just different symbol locations but I don't want it to get confusing.

I had a look at a few other keyboards also that say they're mechanical. What difference does it make depending on switch colour? Different feedback I guess?

I got my first mechanical keyboard ever today. It was an impulse buy 'cause I didn't really need it.

One of my requirements was also for it to be backlit for the same reason as you. Also I didn't want to spend much but I saw the reviews of the one I got and they were great, plus the RGB lights (not true RGB but good enough) and effects it has are insane for the price. Also after last minute research I did, I went for red switches because they are quiter and I didn't want to run into any problems with the neighbors (far fetched but I stay up 'till very late). The blue ones have a more satistying feel though I think.
Anyway, check this one out and search for videos with it to see the effects it has.

http://www.gearbest.com/keyboards/pp_623395.html

I'm probably the least suitable person to answer this but If they look good to you, features included, you should go for it, so many reviews can't be wrong.

7 minutes ago, BurnedPriest said:

I'm probably the least suitable person to answer this but If they look good to you, features included, you should go for it, so many reviews can't be wrong.

That's what I'm thinking. They have a lot of 5 star reviews. I like the look of so many other ones but because they use the US layout it'll probably get a bit confusing for me. The @ sign and apostrophe are switched on the american keyboard and the £ sign is # instead etc. so it'd mean I'd have to switch to the US layout instead to use one of them. I'd probably just get used to it in minutes but then again I'm so used to this layout that I'd rather not take the risk. I also noticed the UK layout keyboards seem to cost more. I'd imagine it's due to them being manufactured locally and they like tax a lot over here.

i have the corsair k70 lux red led about 140aud here. very impressive keyboard for the price and doesnt sound too loud... also i find it easier to clean as they do away the plastic overlay that gives the keys a "low-profile" look which is a plus for me [dusty here, dust builds up frequently on idle areas]

cons: probably no rgb and macros but thast about it... o_o? i can't really fault this keyboard tbh. good price,

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers