monitor bought (1440p monitor, few options - what should I go with?)

zMeul
Spoiler

I'm switching from my old Philips 1080p 21.5" monitor to a 1440p, but what exactly should I go with

CPU: i5 6500

GFX: GTX1070

these are the choices ordered by price:

one thing I absofuckinlutely hate is the glossy panels - my laptop has a glossy panel and I hate its guts

the 1st AOC is TN and also the biggest one - I'm heavily inclined to go with this one

the BenQ seems to have anti-glare coating on the IPS panel - this would be my 2nd choice

I'll be using it for gaming, media consumption and occasionally (non-professional) video editing

got the AOC Q2778VQE 27" http://aoc-europe.com/en/products/specification/q2778vqe

Edited by zMeul

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I'm switching from my old Philips 1080p 21.5" monitor to a 1440p, but what exactly should I go with

one thing I absofuckinlutely hate is the glossy panels - my laptop has a glossy panel and I hate its guts

the 1st AOC is TN and also the biggest one - I'm heavily inclined to go with this one

the BenQ seems to have anti-glare coating on the IPS panel - this would be my 2nd choice

I'll be using it for gaming, media consumption and occasionally (non-professional) video editing

I have this and It is a great ips pannel

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VX24AH-Frameless-Console-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00QLL01BA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1500448402&sr=8-2&keywords=1440p+monitor

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

Well I have a 32" glossy 1440p screen and it's definitely too big, but 27" is a nice size. I would go with the one that seems to have the best overclocking potential because more HZ is so nice 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I would go with the one that seems to have the best overclocking potential because more HZ is so nice 

absolutely not interested - I've been on 60Hz ever since LCDs and also .. my eyes aren't what they used to be

60Hz is absolutely acceptable for me

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

absolutely not interested - I've been on 60Hz ever since LCDs and also .. my eyes aren't what they used to be

60Hz is absolutely acceptable for me

Used to think 60Hz was good enough, then I tried 75Hz... 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Used to think 60Hz was good enough, then I tried 75Hz... 

preaching to the choir, mate ... had 120Hz 22" CRT

Just now, zMeul said:

preaching to the choir, mate ... had 120Hz 22" CRT

CRT isn't the same experience but anyway if you don't care about more then 60Hz get either the 25" or 27" IMO. I'm pretty shit at monitors though 

Builds:

Spoiler

AOC Q2778VQE: 27", TN, 1 ms response time, 1000:1 contrast

DELL P2416D: 23.75", IPS, 8 ms typical / 6 ms fast mode response time, 1000:1 contrast

BenQ BL2420PT: 23.8", IPS, 5 ms response time, 1000:1 contrast

AOC Q2577PWQ: 25", IPS, 5 ms response time, 1000:1 contrast

I wouldn't go for the Dell because it's the smallest, and has the worst response time. Since the BenQ and AOC Q25 have the same core specs, except that the AOC is larger, I would go with the AOC over the BenQ. But overall, I would personally take the 27" and 1 ms response time of the AOC Q27 over the IPS of the AOC Q25.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

ordered the  AOC Q2778VQE - one week from now I should have it, will post back

also got a DP1.2 cable

the monitor arrived

holy shit this real estate, it's like a new world - the panel looks really good, feels a bit warm tho .. will see

ps: the monitor has in the box

• DVI-I cable
  • DP cable - bought one for nothing
  • D-Sub cable

what I do not like:

• bezels and base are glossy
  • has a dead pixel, stuck on black - makes me seriously think to return it

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

the monitor arrived

holy shit this real estate, it's like a new world - the panel looks really good, feels a bit warm tho .. will see

ps: the monitor has in the box

• DVI-I cable
  • DP cable - bought one for nothing
  • D-Sub cable

what I do not like:

• bezels and base are glossy
  • has a dead pixel, stuck on black - makes me seriously think to return it

You can try a stuck pixel video.

You can also try shining a light on the dead pixel, and that sometimes gets its circuit going.

https://sjprinter.wordpress.com/2016/08/24/fix-stuck-pixels/

You can also try lightly massaging the area that the dead pixel is in, and that sometimes gets it working. Linus explains @ 3:00 in this video:

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

After playing a few games on this monitor pls compare it to 21.5" 1080p panel. Is sharpness in games much better / better / slightly better.

Would you try 24" 1440p panel for even greater pixel density or is this panel enough for now for you? Maybe you would consider 32" now? Just tell us what you think :P 

In terms of resolution in gaming, is this monitor what you expected it to be and you are happy, or would you consider maybe getting ultrawide 2560x1080 to get better field of view?

1 hour ago, kondziowy said:

After playing a few games on this monitor pls compare it to 21.5" 1080p panel. Is sharpness in games much better / better / slightly better.

Would you try 24" 1440p panel for even greater pixel density or is this panel enough for now for you? Maybe you would consider 32" now? Just tell us what you think :P 

In terms of resolution in gaming, is this monitor what you expected it to be and you are happy, or would you consider maybe getting ultrawide 2560x1080 to get better field of view?

except for that fucking dead pixel, the monitor is absolutely excellent

gaming is noticeably more demanding on the video card, had to cut some shadow setting on The Division for example - other games already could've been delivered with high enough framerate

the size diff from the old 1080p is absolutely amazing, the text at 1440p is still easy to read - haven't used scaling

ps: I will keep the monitor with that fuckign dead pixel because I have no guarantee that the next one will be issue free

the monitor comes with a 3y warranty at the place of purchase

14 hours ago, zMeul said:

ps: I will keep the monitor with that fuckign dead pixel because I have no guarantee that the next one will be issue free

My first HP Omen 32 monitor had a dead pixel, but HP has a no questions return policy so I ordered 2 more, 1 of which also had a dead pixel, and the other of which had no dead pixels and also had the least backlight bleed. I returned the two monitors with dead pixels, and kept the one without any.

Might be worth looking into what the return policy is for your monitor.

4 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Might be worth looking into what the return policy is for your monitor.

4 dead for 1mil total pixel count

that means ~14 dead per 1440p

it's insanity

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

4 dead for 1mil total pixel count

that means ~14 dead per 1440p

it's insanity

Where did you buy it from? I'd just return it regardless in the UK at least you don't actually need a reason if its in the 30 day window.

How much is the Dell U2515H in your area? it's a very good panel with a great Dell warranty.  

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

51 minutes ago, alexyy said:

Where did you buy it from? I'd just return it regardless in the UK at least you don't actually need a reason if its in the 30 day window.

How much is the Dell U2515H in your area? it's a very good panel with a great Dell warranty.  

I can return in within a 14days window, but I have absolutely no warranty the next one will be problem free

that DELL is significantly more expensive and the dead pixel policy is exactly the same

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I can return in within a 14days window, but I have absolutely no warranty the next one will be problem free

that DELL is significantly more expensive and the dead pixel policy is exactly the same

Shame it's reasonably priced over here. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

4 minutes ago, alexyy said:

Shame it's reasonably priced over here. 

except for that pixel thing, the AOC is quite awesome; plus is 2" bigger than the DELL

I was thinking on getting ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278QR 27" 2560x1440 1ms 165Hz G-SYNC Eye Care Gaming Monitor

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4ENDXR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

The reasons i think this monitor is nice is that it has an hdmi 1.4 and displayport 1.2 input, NVIDIA G-SYNC and 2 usb 3.0.

color accuracy on this one ain't that great, and it's priced about 649.99

the specs of yer 4 monitors you listed are all different, ranging from lagtime, Hz, pixels, functions, and size.

if i had to choose, id buy the first one you listed.

which was this.

AOC Q2778VQE 27" http://aoc-europe.com/en/products/specification/q2778vqe

On 19/07/2017 at 8:06 AM, zMeul said:

re the AOC I found some info on it's input lag:

38ms is about what you'd expect from a large LCD TV, and although you won't notice this lag in normal desktop applications, games such as shooters that require fast reaction times will feel noticeably more sluggish.

source:
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/accessories/pc-monitors/1404147/aoc-q2778vqe-review

I recently moved from a fantastic 32 Asus screen with very similar input lag to above, back to the 27 ROG Swift with aprox 10ms input lag. The difference is certainly noticeable in fast FPS shooter results to me, but I am very sensitive to such things and play at a decent level in certain games. (Insurgency and Squad specifically). You may not care but I thought it relevant to let you know.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

On 7/26/2017 at 7:10 PM, zMeul said:

except for that fucking dead pixel, the monitor is absolutely excellent

gaming is noticeably more demanding on the video card, had to cut some shadow setting on The Division for example - other games already could've been delivered with high enough framerate

the size diff from the old 1080p is absolutely amazing, the text at 1440p is still easy to read - haven't used scaling

But what about sharpness in games. I'm also coming from 21.5" 1080p and, on paper, pixel density is not that much different between that panel and 27" 1440p. 

What do you think? Is it much more crisp? Do you still use the same levels of antialiasing in games to get similiar result as 21,5 1080p? Or can you drop antialiasing a little bit now?