ATH M50 for Gaming

Ghost Taco

I know that the ATH M50's are excellent for music, but how well do they fair with games? 

Decently. I have a pair, and they do just fine. Don't expect virtual 7.1 though.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Decently. I have a pair, and they do just fine. Don't expect virtual 7.1 though.

Do you know of any less than $150 headphones that are excellent for both?

Do you know of any less than $150 headphones that are excellent for both?

The Sennheiser PC 360D should do better, but they cost a little bit more than $150.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I have m50 and I love using them for gaming.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

I actually know someone who likes the AKG K240s for gaming, to be honest have always found them to sound quite clinical, great for production but not so great for pure listening experience, can't imagine they are as good for gaming as my friend suggests, but if you know anyone who owns a set see if you can give them a try. Problem is, as with the M50s they really are in the Studio monitoring headphones/DJ headphones category. They need to be amped to sound their best too.

I'd take a look at Sennheiser for sure, if you want a set of headphones just for gaming I doubt something like the M50s are the best option, sennheiser do some great sounding headphones across the board of price ranges, more suited to this kind of thing too if you get the right ones.

M50 is way too in head sounding for gaming compared to and ad700.

and if the M50 is too expensive then the beyerdynamic and the ad700x is too expensive I don't understand why it is beholden to a sale price forever 

Right now the M50RD's are $118 on Amazon. The Sennheiser PC360's are $167. Worth the price difference? 

Right now the M50RD's are $118 on Amazon. The Sennheiser PC360's are $167. Worth the price difference? 

Out of interest do you have an amp to power these headphones? Within the price range your looking at they should work unamped but it kind of defies  the point as the quality wont as good as it could be.

M50 is way too in head sounding for gaming compared to and ad700.

and if the M50 is too expensive then the beyerdynamic and the ad700x is too expensive I don't understand why it is beholden to a sale price forever 

Always think of the DT100s when anyone mentions Beyer, sure the clarity is great but wow those things sound bad overall, do serve a purpose though, and that's definitely not gaming.

Out of interest do you have an amp to power these headphones? Within the price range your looking at they should work unamped but it kind of defies  the point as the quality wont as good as it could be.

Always think of the DT100s when anyone mentions Beyer, sure the clarity is great but wow those things sound bad overall, do serve a purpose though, and that's definitely not gaming.

I do not own an AMP. How much does a decent one cost? 

I'm not massively clued up on amps to be honest, but in a sense you do get what you pay for, can pick an amp up for a few quid into double digits but is it any good? probably not. Since your after a headset for gaming your best bet would probably be a Xonar sound card with a built in Amp, most Xonar cards should be more than enough to power either of these headsets, just match the numbers up.

That all being said and thinking about how much your potentially spending here why not see if you can find the Xonar Xense bundle? Its discontinued now but I'm sure there is a few floating around still, a decent pair of Sennheiser headphones and a great amped soundcard to run them. In the UK at least it was only £40 more than the ATH M50s if I recall correctly, now its an old product you might be able to find it cheaper.

I'm not massively clued up on amps to be honest, but in a sense you do get what you pay for, can pick an amp up for a few quid into double digits but is it any good? probably not. Since your after a headset for gaming your best bet would probably be a Xonar sound card with a built in Amp, most Xonar cards should be more than enough to power either of these headsets, just match the numbers up.

Going for gaming+music 

why are people talking about amping an m50 it can be run off an iphone

why are people talking about amping an m50 it can be run off an iphone

They can yes, they can be run of pretty much anything and still sound relatively good, thats the beauty of them, they do however benefit from an amp if you ask me, as a result unless your buying them for the sake of DJing or similar I'm not exactly sure why you would buy them for home use and not amp them. To be honest I'm not sure why you would buy them for general home use at all, their main field of excellence is production and DJing, as far as general music headphones go I'm not sure they are great value for money.

I've heard good things about the JVC ha-s500s, both for music and gaming.

why not just use something like razer surround? virtual 7.1 ia all software after all

I don't game much, but I do own both a pair of M50S and PC360s. 

the M50's are alright, but they just don't give much of a "surround" feel, they are closed, and you really can hear that. but if you have a noisy room, you'd have to pump the volume with the Sennheiser, as they are open and let in a lot of sound. with my PC360's, it's like I'm not even wearing them, they don't block any sound at all, which is why I prefer closed headphones. 

360's are the same as HD558's, and they are great. they are open, they have a nice price (considering the 558 is at a decent price and the 360s just have an expensive mic slapped on the side and added some dough).

but I'd just get some random cheap mic, like the zalman clip-on that everyone loves so much, and get the Sennheiser HD558, they are very good indeed.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

They can yes, they can be run of pretty much anything and still sound relatively good, thats the beauty of them, they do however benefit from an amp if you ask me, as a result unless your buying them for the sake of DJing or similar I'm not exactly sure why you would buy them for home use and not amp them. To be honest I'm not sure why you would buy them for general home use at all, their main field of excellence is production and DJing, as far as general music headphones go I'm not sure they are great value for money.

you do realize that all an amp will do is make the thing louder. Considering that the M50s have a lower impedance than my HD 558s which run just fine off my onboard there is really no reason to get an amp for it.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

like mayflower said get dt 990, AD 700x/ no x or the HD 558s. All of there are open headphones and as such they will have a much better sound stage than the M50s or any closed headphones for that matter.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

"on sale"

There's a real sale scheduled for 2am Central Time (-6 GMT) on November 29th on Amazon.

do you have a link

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

do you have a link

Yeah should be the one you posted. You just need to wait.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review