Beginnings of the AM4 Overclock

Sentinel GT

I require aid yet again from the LTT forums peeps. I am wanting to get into the wonderful world of CPU overclocking. However due the limitations of my case a water cooler isn't exactly possible with a fan controller taking up a spot at the back of my case and the front intakes being taken blocked by a drive cage. What air CPU cooler would be recommended for some LIGHT to MODERATE overclocking? I have had my eyes on the Noctua NH-C14S for a while but want to hear from others that are more experienced on the subject of overclocking. Pricing doesn't really matter to me too much. Though there are height limitations on both my case and ram clearance. I only have 158mm of clearance for my case and 42mm from base to the top of my RAM sticks.

TFW you remove your old RAM and say, "Damn, those were some good memories."

Which AM4 CPU do you have? The Wraith Spire that comes with the 1600, 1700 and (I think) 1500X is capable of a decent overclock in a case with good ventilation.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

I have the 1600 in my system RN with the Spire keeping it at 67C when playinig some CPU intensive titles. But I want to push it further.

Just now, TrigrH said:

thanks for telling us what case you have /s

Corsair 100R Silent Edition.

I would have to remove the fan controller. I bought an H60 to install when it still had an intel chip inside. I didn't like the idea of its removal. I do know I could control the fan speeds using my motherboard software but I'd rather not and leave the controller be. I like to ramp up my fan speed on command and not after reboot. IN addition I think I prefer the aesthetics of a air cooler. I know I didn't state that in my initial question but that's the truth.

23 minutes ago, Sentinel GT said:

I have the 1600 in my system RN with the Spire keeping it at 67C when playinig some CPU intensive titles. But I want to push it further.

67C isn't bad at all. My 1700 spikes to 80-82C when stress testing, and it pulls down about 1.33v at 3.7GHz (f-u, Gigabyte) in an NZXT S340 Elite. You can take a Ryzen CPU up to that 80-85C range under stress load without destroying things.

If you want to step up from the Spire given the height limitation you have, I'd recommend the Scythe Fuma or Cryorig H7.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

100r_silent_005.png

AIO will fit if you use push pull config (fan on either side).

Whoever built that PC has a special corner of Cable Management Hell reserved just for them.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Whoever built that PC has a special corner of Cable Management Hell reserved just for them.

Right? This case is an extremely tight fit for cables.

1 minute ago, Sentinel GT said:

I would have to remove the fan controller. I bought an H60 to install when it still had an intel chip inside. I didn't like the idea of its removal. I do know I could control the fan speeds using my motherboard software but I'd rather not and leave the controller be. I like to ramp up my fan speed on command and not after reboot. IN addition I think I prefer the aesthetics of a air cooler. I know I didn't state that in my initial question but that's the truth.

it should fit with the controller in place, the silent edition doesn't even have a window?

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

67C isn't bad at all. My 1700 spikes to 80-82C when stress testing, and it pulls down about 1.33v at 3.7GHz (f-u, Gigabyte) in an NZXT S340 Elite. You can take a Ryzen CPU up to that 80-85C range under stress load without destroying things.

If you want to step up from the Spire given the height limitation you have, I'd recommend the Scythe Fuma or Cryorig H7.

I do have an nice tinted side panel. Might as well save the extra $20 for the lumi edition.

Just now, TrigrH said:

it should fit with the controller in place, the silent edition doesn't even have a window?

Nope. I bought one though, the Spec 01 side panel fits just fine.

Just now, TrigrH said:

most air coolers will be sub optimal in this case unless you have a powerful intake fan.

2 Corsair ML 140 intakes.

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

so you've spent more on case upgrades than the case itself? :P

I REALLY like this case. And I had no problem spending the $60 on it either. And the fans were given to me by a friend since he bought some LED ones and had no other use for them.

I second H7 option. It might just be the one to get. Fuma is bigger if it fits, can't do verifications just now. Could you post pic on how inside looks right now?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

15 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I second H7 option. It might just be the one to get. Fuma is bigger if it fits, can't do verifications just now. Could you post pic on how inside looks right now?

IMG_20170714_131355.jpg

IMG_20170714_212404.jpg

IMG_20170714_212410.jpg

11 hours ago, Sentinel GT said:

Ok, Fuma would fit there. Its probably biggest cooler that fits. Though seeing what you mean by fan controller, isn't that in place with double-sided tape or something like that? You could just move it if you want to go with AIO.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 7/15/2017 at 9:27 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Ok, Fuma would fit there. Its probably biggest cooler that fits. Though seeing what you mean by fan controller, isn't that in place with double-sided tape or something like that? You could just move it if you want to go with AIO.

It's held together by two screws and a plastic fan out to prevent the switch from wiggling in place.

On 7/13/2017 at 7:42 PM, aisle9 said:

Right? I especially like how the cables contribute to the graphics card sag.