See the first movie uploaded to DNA of living cells

4 minutes ago, AHaskin14 said:

Interesting thought. The "read" picture is certainly different from the original with a few darker pixels here and there. This is essentially an unplanned mutation no? Imagine what sorts of problems can occur down the road when this technology is used for things other than data storage. Really cool, but really scary.

The thing with CRISPR is that the it can can through a DNA segment with extreme precision and accuracy unlike the old school use of restriction enzymes so there would be way less errors. But CRISPR is also a dark horse. What scientists know about the potential benefits and hazards (a double edged sword) of this discovery is just at the tip of the iceberg. I suggest you watch the video I linked because the folks of Kurzgesagt YouTube channel did an amazing job explaining CRISPR. Personally, I'd think DNA storage has a long way to go and people of the PC master race are just fine with their existing SATA or NVMe SSD and no need use their spit just yet for storage. Right now, DNA storage is more of a proof of concept for the future rather than something beneficial right now. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

16 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

The thing with CRISPR is that the it can can through a DNA segment with extreme precision and accuracy unlike the old school use of restriction enzymes so there would be way less errors. But CRISPR is also a dark horse. What scientists know about the potential benefits and hazards (a double edged sword) of this discovery is just at the tip of the iceberg. I suggest you watch the video I linked because the folks of Kurzgesagt YouTube channel did an amazing job explaining CRISPR. Personally, I'd think DNA storage has a long way to go and people of the PC master race are just fine with their existing SATA or NVMe SSD and no need use their spit just yet for storage. Right now, DNA storage is more of a proof of concept for the future rather than something beneficial right now. 

Fully agreed, being  just a proof of concept (and an extremely cool one at that). I'll surely watch the video when I get home from work

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

I think its cool how the pictures are different due to mutations. That wouldn't be very cool for data though.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Just now, Shreyas1 said:

I think its cool how the pictures are different due to mutations. That wouldn't be very cool for data though.

It was an animated GIF that I can't save. Go to the CNET link.

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

It was an animated GIF that I can't save. Go to the CNET link.

The problem here is that even if you try to make the cells not mutate, they will. The problem is that the cells will multiply, and each generation will have mutations. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think bacteria can share their DNA, corrupting data even more. This seems very bad for long term storage IMO. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

30 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think bacteria can share their DNA, corrupting data even more. This seems very bad for long term storage IMO. 

Yes they can. Bacteria can share info with other bacteria through their plasmid, a small circular DNA beside their chromosome. If the storage media (agar plate or broth) is properly autoclaved at 121°C/15 psi for 15 minutes and proper lab aseptic techniques are done in a properly irradiated Biosafety Level II cabinet, there's less likely chance that the edited bacteria can talk to other bacteria of different species. This is why at the moment, DNA storage is more of a proof of concept rather than something beneficial.

But the other uses of CRISPR at the moment like treating incurable diseases is something humanity needs now.

30 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

The problem here is that even if you try to make the cells not mutate, they will. The problem is that the cells will multiply, and each generation will have mutations.

They do. Sometimes cells do mutate even by their own metabolic byproducts or by ionizing radiation like UV rays. But most cells can repair minor mutations. In eukaryotic cells like humans, if a mutation can't be fixed, the cell will commit suicide also known as apoptosis or programmed cell death by themselves or get killed by the immune system cells namely Cytotoxic T cells and Natural Killer Cells.

Edited by hey_yo_

13 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Just imagine the future where office documents are stored in DNA samples while immersed in Tris-acetate EDTA buffer inside a test tube connected to a computer. Or in a more dystopian future, the US government mass producing genetically enhanced super soldiers from the US army going to battle against China's genetically enhanced super soldiers. The latter is way more creepy.

Or we can come back to Earth with a simpler implication: forget backups, save to one bacteria and let her replicate into a small colony. A few drops of a bacteria-friendly soup and you have thousands/millions of copies of your data.

But then comes the risk: one silly mutation with the wrong resilience and your colony goes corrupt. Was it Tuttle or Buttle? :P 

6 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Or we can come back to Earth with a simpler implication: forget backups, save to one bacteria and let her replicate into a small colony. A few drops of a bacteria-friendly soup and you have thousands/millions of copies of your data.

But then comes the risk: one silly mutation with the wrong resilience and your colony goes corrupt. Was it Tuttle or Buttle? :P 

That's why the idea is cool but not practical at the moment. I'd still pick a Samsung 960 Evo over having some bacteria in an agar plate store my data.

But...

HOW :o:o:o:o:o!!??!!??

But this is cool:

120872308_woolly-mammoth-NEWS-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq0K4YcDL3G4cBFFqVorikELUATf7ML2DwP4Pd_o4306U.jpg (1264×790)

Groomlake Authority

Now 4K plz. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

That's why the idea is cool but not practical at the moment. I'd still pick a Samsung 960 Evo over having some bacteria in an agar plate store my data.

ADD: Agar-DNA drives? I wouldn't mind!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It was 404.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

And on the same earth as scientists are recording movies into DNA a large portion of people genuinely believe the earth is flat.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

ADD: Agar-DNA drives? I wouldn't mind!

That thing will stink. Nutrient agar or any other enrichment media (like violet red bile agar) smells awful. Imagine putting an agar plate for DNA storage inside a PC with FX-9590. 

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

That thing will stink. Nutrient agar or any other enrichment media (like violet red bile agar) smells awful. Imagine putting an agar plate for DNA storage inside a PC with FX-9590. 

I've got tons of agar plates, though... What am I supposed to do with them? Science? Pfft, that's for the biologists!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

This method is a surefire way to eliminate thoughtcrime

/s

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.