rack mounted server?

jameshumphries47

I have some experience setting up a server rack/cabinet. I did it all myself with little prior knowlege, so im sure there are better ways to do things. But here are some pointers.

Networking:

Get a good router. Cisco makes good stuff, or you can build your own with something like pfSense. It all depends on how customized you need it (multiple WAN ports for example) and your use case.

You likely wont need anything over 100Mbps unless you have a lot of users either, so dont worry about the expensive switches. Grab a Cisco 3500XL off amazon for $30 and away you go (i personally use this, great product).

Server(s):

If you want to run a web-server and a home file server, i highly recommend using two separate machines. With a rack this shouldn't be a problem though. File servers dont require very high specs, just lots of drives. So minus the cost of HDD(s), your looking around $100 for the guts and another $70 for a rack-mount case. You can likely find cheaper stuff used.

For the web server, here you will need some technical experience. You will need to know how to operate within a terminal in linux, and exciting stuff like that. The biggest hurtle is getting it running and accessible on the LAN. Then making it public is a breeze (i have a domain registered with no-ip.com, but get the server running first).

Unless you have 100+ visits a minute, a single core machine with an 80GB HDD will work great. Only when you get into complex PHP with many users will you need anything larger. Just install Ubuntu, install Apache, add required mods, and forward port 80 to your servers IP (set it to static). Thats about it.

Cooling:

For cooling, just normal case fans work. I mounted a box fan on my cabinet just to push more air through. It helps keep the air moving so my room doesn't get too hot or cold. Usually heat isnt an issue.

Other tips:

As you can see in the pics ill attach, my cabinet is in my bedroom (the parental units wont let me put it anywhere else). This is great in the winter, FREE HEAT! But in the summer... that free heat... it burns... So put it somewhere where people wont play with it, and in a room that you dont mind getting warm. The servers themselves dont get too hot. They put out a ton of hot air though. Dont forget about the power draw either, make sure to count your amps.

My equipment:

• Server 1: Octa-core, 4GB RAM, a few HDD(s). Used mostly for web hosting and F@H (its the one with the blue light)
  • Server 2: Single-core DELL Optiplex, file server. It has a 1TB drive in it. FTP server. I think i also have a few minecraft servers there also.
  • In the bottom right with a ton of bright lights is my UPS. Just in case the power fails.
  • At the very top is my switch. Cisco Catalyst 3500XL. Does its job well.
  • Somewhere in there is a small linskys router. Ill upgrade that as soon as i have money.
  • Right under Server 1 is a Netra D130 SCSI array. It is used in my FTP server and for MYSQL for my website. Its likely older than i am, but if it hasn't failed yet it likely never will.

attachicon.gif20131126_204202.jpg

attachicon.gif20131126_204232.jpg

thanks for the help mate, for the advise instead of trying to stop me doing it :D and

Not to be offensive but you were asking about what cat to use for the servers, doesnt really make it out you know that much about cabling. 

I know cabling but I am stuck for the file server to use cat 6 or cat 5e as I said money isn't an issue, im thinking cat 6 and cutting my own cables to size, any advise on the hardware side of things?

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

I know cabling but I am stuck for the file server to use cat 6 or cat 5e as I said money isn't an issue, im thinking cat 6 and cutting my own cables to size, any advise on the hardware side of things?

5e is good for short distances (<50ft)

~Judah

okay thanks mate I shouldn't be using more than 50ft I will be using fiber optic around the house

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}