rack mounted server?

jameshumphries47

hiya again guys I made a post not long ago about a crazy torage device I came up with, seemed to optimistic.

im considering building a server rack for general file storage, maybe a webserver.
is there any advise?
and also what use is a load balancer?
how much should I be paying for a basic setup?
and please can you list all the products you use in your server racks?
how do I keep these monsters cool.
thanks for your time
~james

EDIT: and also I forgot to ask what type of cables do I need to use to hook up the networking? to the servers?

and please post photos :D please

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

If you don't know the answers so these questions. Dont attempt it IMHO

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

we all have to start somewere... this is the "SOMEWERE"

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

Exactly what kind of load balancing are you talking about? There is may types. and Honestly What I would recommend because no offense reading this you dont have that much knowledge about networking/server maintenance and setup. I would just recommend that you build a pc and put a couple Tb of storage in it then set up a home network and a small webpage off of that.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

I have done this before and decided I would like to go the next stage up I know about the cat of wire but I kind of worded it wrong I meant what cat would you recommend

. I would just recommend that you build a pc and put a couple Tb of storage in it then set up a home network and a small webpage off of that.

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

I have done this before and decided I would like to go the next stage up I know about the cat of wire but I kind of worded it wrong I meant what cat would you recommend

Like I said if you dont know what ethernet cable to use I wouldnt recommend doing it. What you are trying to do is really something you need to be educated on first. Not just mounting the hardware but network optimization, system settings, configuring a switch and a router and a bunch of other stuff. While it is doable off of a regular linksys wireless router you will not get very good performance. IMHO just dont. Get some books and read up... alot before attempting this.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

Are you looking to build a proper server or more of a home server which happens

to be mounted in a rack?

EDIT: Also, regarding the networking infrastructure: Do you want to have

a proper enterprise network or a home-ish network?

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

okay thanks mate really appreciate the help immensely I will have a read up tonight and tomorrow and ill post back here what I am thinking to get in the rack.. if I decide I want to do it, I have a rough Idea on what machines I want on the rack :D so that's good I guess.

alpen I hope for it to be a very large server for familys collection of vids pics and possibly hosting a company's website (my mates), and its a home-ish network. thanks for the help

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

But if you want to do this get a switch, rack mount, and whatever server you want to use. Actual rack mounted servers ARENT cheap.... Also youll need a small business router if you want to be able to set up your network to redirect traffic to your server and keep it away from your private network. Which you really need to know networking to be able to do that. Youll need to know how to set up trunk ports, vlans, know how to do routing, and anything else youll want to do. Theres alot to setting up a network that people dont realize that goes on in the back end of the process.

EDIT: I forgot to mention a firewall if you want that.

I see your point, money is not an issue so what is better rack or switch? but as I said it my mates website ill be hosting so that's for him to sort out and buy the machine he wants to run, I said he can have it in my rack and have it protected by a firewall :/

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

but he will have to buy the extras

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

I see your point, money is not an issue so what is better rack or switch? but as I said it my mates website ill be hosting so that's for him to sort out and buy the machine he wants to run, I said he can have it in my rack and have it protected by a firewall :/

A rack is a hardware mount? A switch is a layer 2 network device? 2 completely different things.

ahh right sorry made myself look like a right prat should of thought before I typed

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

Well, putting together the server itself won't be that difficult, it's not that

different from building a normal PC, just with server components (there are a few

differences here and there, but taking those into account is not an insurmountable

task).

The bigger part of your work will be doing your research on networking (which can

be immensely complex) and then actually setting everything up (configuring both

the networking equipment as well as the server(s)).

Especially having both a public section of your infrastructure (the web server part)

and a very, very private section (the family data part) will require you doing your

due diligence when it comes to security (there are tons of ways to introduce security

holes both on the networking side of things and on the server config side of things,

and that's not taking into account stupid things your family members could do to

accidentally introduce new ones).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

thanks alpen I know the computer basics built a ton of them in the past but the racks are alien to me never used one. do you have one if so please can I see a pic?

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

thanks alpen I know the computer basics built a ton of them in the past but the racks are alien to me never used one. do you have one if so please can I see a pic?

Nope, I don't have one, sorry (wish I did ;)).

But as said above: The networking and configuration side of things will be where the

large part of your work needs to be done. Also, make sure you get the right internet

connection for doing this.

In all honesty I would recommend to just rent a web server. Unless your buddy has some

sort of very special requirements, doing this at home is really not cost effective at

all under most circumstances and will almost always result in an inferior solution to

a properly hosted third-party server. Getting your own server's reliability and availability

as high as a professional offerings is almost impossible unless you spend a ridiculous

amount of cash and time on this (which you're free to do, of course, but seriously, it's

mostly a waste of money and time).

EDIT: I'm not just talking about setting it all up, but also maintaining it in the long run

(updates, replacing components etc.) with minimum impact on uptime./EDIT

EDIT 2: As an example: Big hosting companies can leverage redundancies in their infrastucture

in these situations. They can just migrate a virtual machine (your server) to a different

hardware config with minimum impact, which is not something you'll be able to do unless

you spend a sh!tload of money on your own infrastructure./EDIT 2

Reducing this to the family file server side of things will make it a lot simpler and

safer. Then it's primarily a matter of bying a rack case, a rack and whatever goes

inside and then getting it to run.

I was about to say the same thing @alpenwasser that he should just rent a web server. That way he wont have to worry about all the security issues and let the company handle that if its in the policy.

ahh thanks for the help guys gonna give me a long hard think now!! thanks for the help :) mean while I have been looking at setting up  and wiring on the hardware side doesn't seem to much of an ask, the software  don't look to hard. so we will see

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

I was about to say the same thing @alpenwasser that he should just rent a web server. That way he wont have to worry about all the security issues and let the company handle that if its in the policy.

Yeah, I'm not an expert on this, but I definitely know that there's lots of stuff

going on behind the scenes for making things run smoothly 99.9999% of the time.

Getting something up and running which functions 90% of the time won't be that

difficult, but if you run a website then 90% really isn't acceptable (unless your

client just doesn't care), and those last few percent is where the big part of

the work and money goes AFAIK.

EDIT:

ahh thanks for the help guys gonna give me a long hard think now!! thanks for the help :) mean while I have been looking at setting up and wiring on the hardware side doesn't seem to much of an ask, the software don't look to hard. so we will see

Actually (and this is really just a guess since I haven't done this personally), I

would estimate the software side of things (along with the network config) to be the

trickier and more work intensive part. Also, see the two EDITs I made in my

previous post.

yes but I mean personally I know a lot about cabling and software

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

yes but I mean personally I know a lot about cabling

I don't mean the cabling when I say network config, I mean setting up your router,

switches and firewall along with the networking setups on your machines. So the

software (firmware) config of your networking equipment. The cabling is the easy

part.

and software

You mean Apache or something similar?

yes but I mean personally I know a lot about cabling and software

Not to be offensive but you were asking about what cat to use for the servers, doesnt really make it out you know that much about cabling. 

I have some experience setting up a server rack/cabinet. I did it all myself with little prior knowlege, so im sure there are better ways to do things. But here are some pointers.

Networking:

Get a good router. Cisco makes good stuff, or you can build your own with something like pfSense. It all depends on how customized you need it (multiple WAN ports for example) and your use case.

You likely wont need anything over 100Mbps unless you have a lot of users either, so dont worry about the expensive switches. Grab a Cisco 3500XL off amazon for $30 and away you go (i personally use this, great product).

Server(s):

If you want to run a web-server and a home file server, i highly recommend using two separate machines. With a rack this shouldn't be a problem though. File servers dont require very high specs, just lots of drives. So minus the cost of HDD(s), your looking around $100 for the guts and another $70 for a rack-mount case. You can likely find cheaper stuff used.

For the web server, here you will need some technical experience. You will need to know how to operate within a terminal in linux, and exciting stuff like that. The biggest hurtle is getting it running and accessible on the LAN. Then making it public is a breeze (i have a domain registered with no-ip.com, but get the server running first).

Unless you have 100+ visits a minute, a single core machine with an 80GB HDD will work great. Only when you get into complex PHP with many users will you need anything larger. Just install Ubuntu, install Apache, add required mods, and forward port 80 to your servers IP (set it to static). Thats about it.

Cooling:

For cooling, just normal case fans work. I mounted a box fan on my cabinet just to push more air through. It helps keep the air moving so my room doesn't get too hot or cold. Usually heat isnt an issue.

Other tips:

As you can see in the pics ill attach, my cabinet is in my bedroom (the parental units wont let me put it anywhere else). This is great in the winter, FREE HEAT! But in the summer... that free heat... it burns... So put it somewhere where people wont play with it, and in a room that you dont mind getting warm. The servers themselves dont get too hot. They put out a ton of hot air though. Dont forget about the power draw either, make sure to count your amps.

My equipment:

• Server 1: Octa-core, 4GB RAM, a few HDD(s). Used mostly for web hosting and F@H (its the one with the blue light)
  • Server 2: Single-core DELL Optiplex, file server. It has a 1TB drive in it. FTP server. I think i also have a few minecraft servers there also.
  • In the bottom right with a ton of bright lights is my UPS. Just in case the power fails.
  • At the very top is my switch. Cisco Catalyst 3500XL. Does its job well.
  • Somewhere in there is a small linskys router. Ill upgrade that as soon as i have money.
  • Right under Server 1 is a Netra D130 SCSI array. It is used in my FTP server and for MYSQL for my website. Its likely older than i am, but if it hasn't failed yet it likely never will.

post-316-0-52308000-1385528415_thumb.jpg

post-316-0-64089700-1385528469_thumb.jpg

~Judah

@Judahnator

I like the box has "Enterprise" at the top and then you have the house fan on the front, the true sign of Enterprise Equipment  :lol: 

post-316-0-52308000-1385528415.jpg

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.