Ryzen prices

I am going to buy a ryzen 7, but before I do i thought i'd ask what thoughts you guys have about the price regarding the near launch of threadripper. Do you belive it will dip with TR launch or stay the same? 

Stay the same, they are completly different products, maybe the R7 1800x and 1800 will drop a bit, but anyway the best option is the R7 1700.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

Im only gonna overclock the 1700, don't pay people to do it for me  :dry:

It is just if it is suspected to shake up something.

1 minute ago, tuge said:

Im only gonna overclock the 1700, don't pay people to do it for me  :dry:

It is just if it is suspected to shake up something.

That's a good choice, but do be aware that there is a reason the 1700x and 1800x exist: those chips are binned as being able to reach those higher frequencies with much greater ease/stability, which is generally an indicator that (on average), one of them will OC better than the 1700. So if you really do want a high OC, consider one of those as well if you can fit it in. Most people agree that going past the 1700 isn't the best "value", but they aren't pointless chips by any stretch.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Yes, i've considered it for the reasons you mention, but in reality there aren't even all 1800x hitting 4.1 and nearly guaranteed 3.9 and lightly to 4.0 with 1700. Pretty much an 1800x there already. :) But probably will need to apply more amp and need a bit extra luck ;) But the value vs price/performance makes it worth it still :)

Just price upsets that will change anything for me, so if it will happen in a couple of weeks would be interesting to know :)

Get it soon, amazon has it at 270 bucks right now.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

The max difference in overclock between the ryzen 7s is about 200Mhz, its really not a big deal for many. The 1800x will definitely overclock further than the 1700. Pricing isnt too different between the ryzens as well. If you're going for max speeds and have the budget than definitely go for the 1800x, you will get a better overclock. The 1700 is great for most because of it's lower TDP but also it isnt far in clocks from the 1800x so you get a bit less performance but you get a lot lower power use which also means less heat and thats great for many.

Amazon isn't an option for me unfortunatly

2 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

The max difference in overclock between the ryzen 7s is about 200Mhz, its really not a big deal for many. The 1800x will definitely overclock further than the 1700. Pricing isnt too different between the ryzens as well. If you're going for max speeds and have the budget than definitely go for the 1800x, you will get a better overclock. The 1700 is great for most because of it's lower TDP but also it isnt far in clocks from the 1800x so you get a bit less performance but you get a lot lower power use which also means less heat and thats great for many.

If you overclock the 1700 it will have the same or higher TDP as the 1800x. 

11 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

That's a good choice, but do be aware that there is a reason the 1700x and 1800x exist: those chips are binned as being able to reach those higher frequencies with much greater ease/stability, which is generally an indicator that (on average), one of them will OC better than the 1700. So if you really do want a high OC, consider one of those as well if you can fit it in. Most people agree that going past the 1700 isn't the best "value", but they aren't pointless chips by any stretch.

The reason this doesn't matter as much is because there seems to be a hard limit at around 4ghz because of the architecture. This means that most r7 cpus can reach around 4ghz pretty consistently regardless of the model.

15 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

If you overclock the 1700 it will have the same or higher TDP as the 1800x. 

i know that, im talking about what most users do which is not overclock. The performance difference isnt that big so the lower TDP can be helpful there.

Just now, System Error Message said:

i know that, im talking about what most users do which is not overclock. The performance difference isnt that big so the lower TDP can be helpful there.

Yeah but you could underclock the 1800x and again it will have similar TDP if not lower. It's just misleading to say the 1700 is a lower TDP without also referencing why it has a lower TDP. Also what you said about the 1800x getting a better overclock isn't necessarily true. Again because there is a hard limit at 4ghz it really doesn't matter what model you get they all overclock to around 4ghz and getting 4.0 or 4.1 instead of 3.9 is pure luck and not that big of a difference either. Bottom line is as much as I would like to say the 1800x is worth it, the reality is it's a poor value when the 1700 exists. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah but you could underclock the 1800x and again it will have similar TDP if not lower. It's just misleading to say the 1700 is a lower TDP without also referencing why it has a lower TDP. Also what you said about the 1800x getting a better overclock isn't necessarily true. Again because there is a hard limit at 4ghz it really doesn't matter what model you get they all overclock to around 4ghz and getting 4.0 or 4.1 instead of 3.9 is pure luck and not that big of a difference either. Bottom line is as much as I would like to say the 1800x is worth it, the reality is it's a poor value when the 1700 exists. 

never said the 1800x was a better value, i was always saying that the 1700 is better for most and that if the 1800x was within your budget, no reason not to consider it especially for a chance at higher overclocks.

This discussion is off-topic. Anyone care to weigh in on TR and prices? :)

1 minute ago, System Error Message said:

never said the 1800x was a better value, i was always saying that the 1700 is better for most and that if the 1800x was within your budget, no reason not to consider it especially for a chance at higher overclocks.

I mean you might get a 100mhz higher overclock but even that is kinda up to luck and is still not worth the price difference. I mean if you saw and cpu that was 3.9ghz for 300 and one with 4.0 Ghz for 450 I can not see why you wouldn't get the 3.9ghz cpu.

I mean you might get a 100mhz higher overclock but even that is kinda up to luck and is still not worth the price difference. I mean if you saw and cpu that was 3.9ghz for 300 and one with 4.0 Ghz for 450 I can not see why you wouldn't get the 3.9ghz cpu.

overclocking also relies on luck and board. As i was saying if there is a chance for higher overclocks and if you have the budget to get the 1800x. Both of us would get the 1700 instead but everyone has their preferences and budget.

Infact jayztwocents has managed to get past 4Ghz. So you might be outdated on your info regarding bios updates. I for one picked the 1700 because i intended to use the included cooler and i dont really need the high clocks.

Yes yes, you are all smart. No one knew what you guys were discussing, it is all new to everyone else. 

Don't mind me, i just made this thread to ask something completely different.

1 minute ago, tuge said:

Yes yes, you are all smart. No one knew what you guys were discussing, it is all new to everyone else. 

Price will stay the same. The 1800x price has dropped since launch but threadripper will be in a price range of its own. I expect the lower cost ryzen CPUs to increase.

Just now, System Error Message said:

overclocking also relies on luck and board. As i was saying if there is a chance for higher overclocks and if you have the budget to get the 1800x. Both of us would get the 1700 instead but everyone has their preferences and budget.

Infact jayztwocents has managed to get past 4Ghz. So you might be outdated on your info regarding bios updates. I for one picked the 1700 because i intended to use the included cooler and i dont really need the high clocks.

Yeah you can get 4.1 in some very rare cases and actually of the very few that were able to get to that at launch alot of them were r7 1700s and they were seeing in many cases that the 1700 would overclock higher than their 1800x. So again it is pure luck and the 1800x really isn't going to be worth it.

3 minutes ago, tuge said:

They won't drop as they were just dropped recently. 

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah you can get 4.1 in some very rare cases and actually of the very few that were able to get to that at launch alot of them were r7 1700s and they were seeing in many cases that the 1700 would overclock higher than their 1800x. So again it is pure luck and the 1800x really isn't going to be worth it.

But it doesnt stop someone who can afford it and want the chance to buy it. What you're saying is that the 1800x shouldnt exist. As i was saying the 1700 was intended to provide value while the 1800x was for those who wanted to pay for a chance for better performance. Why dont you tell AMD to scrap their 1800x and 1700x and only release the 1700?They have their marketing plans, people have their preferences and choices.

It's such a worn discussion, i dont understand why it is interesting to discuss anymore.

Anyway, back to pricing... i'd assume so myself, it is just the wide range that seemingly will come will TR and the rumored price of 849 that seems that they have a very little span with ryzen prices being where they are. That's what makes me hopefull that there will be a drop, but i find it unlightly myself too.

1 minute ago, System Error Message said:

But it doesnt stop someone who can afford it and want the chance to buy it. What you're saying is that the 1800x shouldnt exist. As i was saying the 1700 was intended to provide value while the 1800x was for those who wanted to pay for a chance for better performance. Why dont you tell AMD to scrap their 1800x and 1700x and only realse the 1700?They have their marketing plans, people have their preferences and choices.

The only reason anyone should ever get the 1800x and 1700x is if they aren't planning on overclocking or they just want to have the best regardless of how bad the deal is. It is basically the same as buying a titan when the gtx 1080ti exist. 

1 minute ago, tuge said:

It's such a worn discussion, i dont understand why it is interesting to discuss anymore.

Anyway, back to pricing... i'd assume so myself, it is just the wide range that seemingly will come will TR and the rumored price of 849 that seems that they have a very little span with ryzen prices being where they are. That's what makes me hopefull that there will be a drop, but i find it unlightly myself too.

The 1700 and 1700x can't drop much more but the 1800x could drop to 400 maybe.

The only reason anyone should ever get the 1800x and 1700x is if they aren't planning on overclocking or they just want to have the best regardless of how bad the deal is. It is basically the same as buying a titan when the gtx 1080ti exist. 

i have titans, and ofcourse i have a use for titan rather than regular gtx. Its not for the performance, the regular gtx has a couple of things stripped which isnt great for running code. I find that having more processor cache is very noticeable which is the reason why i picked ryzen too. Im a programmer so i picked hardware that does well for running all sorts of code as to me performance isnt an importance.

Titans have their place and so do the 1800x, its not cut and dry. The extra profits AMD gets for the 1800x keeps the 1700 price lower. When nvidia made the gtx 1080TI they removed some ROPs,TMUs and the L2 cache.