Add IR receiver to monitor?

Trail Mixorz

Hi guys I want to use my 27" 4k monitor as a TV (for use with Netflix) and I find it inconvenient to have to stand up to change volume/power so I'd like to add an IR receiver somewhere on the monitor in order to change the volume of the monitor or speakers. Any help?

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

You'd need to have some way to tell the monitor to change volume.  Like, it the monitor can use a USB connection to control it's volume via software which few, if any, support.  So you'd have to hack up an actual IR receiver and then hack it into the electrical connections on the buttons on the screen.

HOWEVER the DEVICE you are using as an input may have volume controls.  For example, if you're using a PC for Netflix, you could set the the monitor to a nominal volume level and then change the volume that comes out of the PC.  You could use a wireless keyboard with media keys that includes volume or MCE remotes have volume control and other media keys as well and Windows will readily use the volume command on them:

785b61bcad74ed5c4aeb8e3a594e058c74d7daac

It even has a Windows button. :D