Should I sell my GTX 1070 for a 1080ti?

LegoLink
Go to solution Solved by scottyseng,
43 minutes ago, LegoLink said:

That's worrying, how can they go about screwing the seller exactly?

I don't think it's a good time to sell. I think the market will crash or start to crash soon.

I did sell both of my 1070s for $950 though. I'm just hoping the buyer isn't a jerk and tries to scam me. I did video record myself packing the box though. You should always video record yourself packing the box for big ticket items. Also use filament reinforced tape, so the buyer can't attempt to heat and lift the tape off and modify the contents. Yeah, I actually bought the 1070s used...$340 for the first and $370 for the second...assuming everything goes well, I made $140ish.

Though personally if the sale goes through for me, I think this will be the end of my days on ebay (as a seller). Too stressful. I'd rather take less money and sell on the forums here (classified section), or sell locally only. I'd rather stick to buying things on ebay instead.

As for performance per dollar, it's usually better to buy the previous flagship when the new gen comes out. For example, before the mining craze, 980 Tis were $300 or less usually while the 1070 still went around for $350+ new (Usually $400ish). The 980 Ti is the faster card when overclocked (1.5 GHz is the golden area for 980 Tis). Though, you could also find the current gen xx70 series cards used for reasonable prices as well.

With the mining hype going on right now I'm wondering if I should sell my 1070 before the hype dies and put it towards a 1080ti or 1080? I have the money for either or but I don't particularly need an upgrade now but I'm debating if it's better to upgrade now or wait?

(I live in the US, would like to start 4k gaming, will do a lot more video editing in the future, and have money for either 1080ti or 1080)

Also prediction/general question about upgrading paths with graphics cards, is it more cost efficient to upgrade as new generations of cards are introduced and sell your last generation or to use the card for a couple years and then upgrade when as needed?

Are miners still buying cards now?

I think they stopped since 72 hours ago when ETH and ZEC took a big hit.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

Are miners still buying cards now?

I think they stopped since 72 hours ago when ETH and ZEC took a big hit.

I'm not sure, I might be wrong I thought I still saw cards selling well over retail but maybe its starting to die?

I would... I sold my rx 470 for $385, and bought a gtx 1050ti for $100.  Pocketed the rest for my Vega fund. 

Don't let anyone make you feel bad for doing that either.  At this point, the only people paying those exuberant prices are miners, so you aren't directly screwing gamers over.

Edit- Given that prices remain high after all this recent noise on cryptocurrency.  

4 minutes ago, LegoLink said:

I'm not sure, I might be wrong I thought I still saw cards selling well over retail but maybe its starting to die?

Well if you can sell it for high price ... then go for it, wait few months and buy gtx 1080 ti.

I just hope tha buyer won't screw you and try to get his money back once he realise that ETH and ZEC are done with GPU mining.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 hour ago, GordosTacoShop said:

I would... I sold my rx 470 for $385, and bought a gtx 1050ti for $100.  Pocketed the rest for my Vega fund. 

Don't let anyone make you feel bad for doing that either.  At this point, the only people paying those exuberant prices are miners, so you aren't directly screwing gamers over.

Edit- Given that prices remain high after all this recent noise on cryptocurrency.  

if a person goes to buy a mining rig rn, they are very uneducated

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

Just now, Simon771 said:

Well if you can sell it for high price ... then go for it, wait few months and buy gtx 1080 ti.

I just hope tha buyer won't screw you and try to get his money back once he realise that ETH and ZEC are done with GPU mining.

Ok, so there IS some serious validity behind this. Here in the US anyway, eBay almost always sides with the buyer, and some miners WILL abuse this.  I sold on craigslist, so ymmv.

1 minute ago, GordosTacoShop said:

Ok, so there IS some serious validity behind this. Here in the US anyway, eBay almost always sides with the buyer, and some miners WILL abuse this.  I sold on craigslist, so ymmv.

Lots of ways really.  I know someone that sold his 7970 during the bitcoin thing a few years ago.  The buyer already had the item for 3 or 4 days when the market crashed, and submitted to ebay that he was scammed.  Even took a video of him "unboxing" the card to reveal a 6450 with a 7970 painted on it.  eBay sided with the buyer.

9 minutes ago, LegoLink said:

They often say something along this line. "I bought this XXX card and when it arrived it was defective but I haven't got the chance to submit a dispute for XXXX reason. This is my first time buying or I've been buying on ebay since XXXX and I can't believe I got scammed. I hope you can do something about this." 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

43 minutes ago, LegoLink said:

I don't think it's a good time to sell. I think the market will crash or start to crash soon.

I did sell both of my 1070s for $950 though. I'm just hoping the buyer isn't a jerk and tries to scam me. I did video record myself packing the box though. You should always video record yourself packing the box for big ticket items. Also use filament reinforced tape, so the buyer can't attempt to heat and lift the tape off and modify the contents. Yeah, I actually bought the 1070s used...$340 for the first and $370 for the second...assuming everything goes well, I made $140ish.

Though personally if the sale goes through for me, I think this will be the end of my days on ebay (as a seller). Too stressful. I'd rather take less money and sell on the forums here (classified section), or sell locally only. I'd rather stick to buying things on ebay instead.

As for performance per dollar, it's usually better to buy the previous flagship when the new gen comes out. For example, before the mining craze, 980 Tis were $300 or less usually while the 1070 still went around for $350+ new (Usually $400ish). The 980 Ti is the faster card when overclocked (1.5 GHz is the golden area for 980 Tis). Though, you could also find the current gen xx70 series cards used for reasonable prices as well.