Motherboard dead. Upgrade time? Or replacement time?

Okay, so my current motherboard died.  I'm presently running an Intel Core i7 5820k processor.  Now, this whole AMD and Intel core race going on has me really intrigued, however, I need a replacement or an upgrade NOW, and can't afford to wait.

Given the fact that I stream on Twitch and YouTube on the regular, and do video editing, as well as play games all on the same machine... I'm looking to see if I should move to a new processor altogether, or if just replacing the motherboard with the exact same model and keep the 5820k.

Should I jump to Ryzen?  Should I just get a new motherboard and hold off before upgrading?  Not sure what to do.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Kaidesa said:

Okay, so my current motherboard died.  I'm presently running an Intel Core i7 5820k processor.  Now, this whole AMD and Intel core race going on has me really intrigued, however, I need a replacement or an upgrade NOW, and can't afford to wait.

Given the fact that I stream on Twitch and YouTube on the regular, and do video editing, as well as play games all on the same machine... I'm looking to see if I should move to a new processor altogether, or if just replacing the motherboard with the exact same model and keep the 5820k.

Should I jump to Ryzen?  Should I just get a new motherboard and hold off before upgrading?  Not sure what to do.

you should be good with that CPU, cheapest option would be to get a new motherboard only. The only thing that's less interesting on that option is the socket longevity, AM4 for instance is supposed to last till 2020. performance wise i don't think you can gain too much compared to a ryzen 7.

You could go x299 (new Intel socket for 6 cores+), being much better than ryzen.

So true it hurts

9 minutes ago, SirFlamenco said:

You could go x299 (new Intel socket for 6 cores+), being much better than ryzen.

I wouldn't recommend this. The x299 platform is having a lot of optimisation problems right now (not to good if you need a stable system) and is also very expensive, it is a little better than ryzen, but not enough to warrant it being ridiculously higher priced than ryzen, making it much worse value. I would recommend going with a ryzen 5 1600 or 7 1700 but it also depends whether you require the extra PCI-E lanes on x99 and quad channel memory. A mid to high end x99 motherboard will cost around about the same as ryzen cpu + mobo, but it depends on the specific chipset features that you require. One thing for sure, i do not recommend x299.

Just now, TSL said:

I wouldn't recommend this. The x299 platform is having a lot of optimisation problems right now and is also very expensive. I would recommend going with a ryzen 5 1600 or 7 1700 but it also depends whether you require the extra PCI-E lanes on x99 and quad channel memory. A mid to high end x99 motherboard will cost around about the same as ryzen cpu + mobo, but it depends on the specific chipset features that you require. One thing for sure, i do not recommend x299.

Lots of problem at release, make me think of some kind of processor that had optimiziation and timing issue... Also, right now Ryzen isn't competing with x299, so it's up to OP to decide if he wanna wait one more month, but it seems like he needs something fast

So true it hurts

Fastest, easiest, (best?) and cheapest solution is to get a new x99 mobo such as the Asus X99-A II. It's 240$$ on Amazon and should be all that you need, though you can choose which one you specifically want because i don't know what features and connectivity you require. X299 too far away to being properly optimised (and you don't need to fork out 600 bucks for a new intel cpu when yours still works).

43 minutes ago, Kaidesa said:

Personally I'm still waiting for ryzen to fail horribly..... as it seems to good to true. Upgrading is fun but look at it like this, how far are you from maxing that cpu in what you do? Are you sitting at 80 to 100% or is it sitting at like 50... and  do you have lag or low fps? If upgrading I'd go like x99...6850k or even a step down as it is a beast, 2 streams and gaming with it just being like... that all you got? So look at how ur cpu works  and decide if you need upgrade or if ur current one is fine.