earcup size ATH-M50

k0enf0rNL

hello,

i've larger ears than avarage and my ears hurt with my current headset. so i was wondering what is the diameter of the earcups? from outer edge to outer edge. and the diameter of the inside so inner edge to inner edge. would be nice if you could messure left to right and top to bottom.

after i know what size they are i can decide if i want to buy the ATH-M50.

my ears are:

top to bottom: 3 cm 

left to right: 2 cm

thanks in advance,

k0enf0rNL

current rig (march 2023)

case: Corsair obsidian 750D   mobo: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming   cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x   cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240   memory: G.skill 32GB DDR4-3000   gpu: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3  PSU: seasonic X-series 850W

i like the design of the ATH-M50 and they are closed. and they are the best value for money in its price range.

current rig (march 2023)

case: Corsair obsidian 750D   mobo: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming   cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x   cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240   memory: G.skill 32GB DDR4-3000   gpu: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3  PSU: seasonic X-series 850W

Get a Sennheiser HD 558 instead if worried about comfort.

i like the design of the ATH-M50 and they are closed. and they are the best value for money in its price range.

current rig (march 2023)

They are overpriced actually, especially since you're using the metric system.

They are overpriced actually, especially since you're using the metric system.

the HD 558 is not portable and the AD700X is not available in my country. so the ATH-M50 are the ones i go for unless you have a really good pair of headphones that are closed with enough room for my ears and are portable(as in cable length of 1.5 meter) 

current rig (march 2023)

ill let you know as soon as i get home. tonight(mountain time zone) . i dont commute with my M50.

thanks man :) what do you think of the M50's ?

current rig (march 2023)

the HD 558 is not portable and the AD700X is not available in my country. so the ATH-M50 are the ones i go for unless you have a really good pair of headphones that are closed with enough room for my ears and are portable(as in cable length of 1.5 meter)

Well, the M50 isn't portable either. Willing to consider IEMs instead of headphones?

If not, what's prices look like for the V-Moda Crossfade LP, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros, and Sony XB 500, 600, or 700?

Well, the M50 isn't portable either. Willing to consider IEMs instead of headphones?

If not, what's prices look like for the V-Moda Crossfade LP, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros, and Sony XB 500, 600, or 700?

Guessing hes's from the Netherlands, Crossfade LP not available afaik, the COP about 160 euros, XB500 & 700 n/a, XB600 only 50 euro's.

EDIT: To throw my own "recommendations" in there, I like my DT770 Pros alot, but they're quite bulky so not really suited for travelling, the COPs seem to be a better choice.

And I've been looking at the Philips Uptown, heard great things about them, and they're only 50-60 euros.

Some people even say they're better than the M50s.

THE signature

Guessing hes's from the Netherlands, Crossfade LP not available afaik, the COP about 160 euros, XB500 & 700 n/a, XB600 only 50 euro's.

Netherlands is literally the hardest place to buy headphones....

Netherlands is literally the hardest place to buy headphones....

I think that's just bad luck, because almost everything else is available.

EDIT: Had the genius idea to search for them at amazon.de, the LPs are available and cost 100 euros (white, 140 for the black ones) with (free?) shipping to the Netherlands.

THE signature

they M50 is portable because it has a coiled cable which is 1.2 meter. and no because my earbuds died and my headset is broken so i need headphones to replace them both with one headphone.

i dont like the look of the crossfade LP, they look cheap. ($107.50), they seem really good quality because beyerdynamic made them and they look good ($229 but i can get them for €160,- which is about 13 dollars cheaper and no ship cost), sony MDR-XB500 look good but i think they are a bit to wide. like the size of your head doubles($109,99) XB600 is on ear and the XB700 are to expansive($299,95) but the headphones from sony are not/not yet available in my country. i think i will choose between beyerdynamic and the M50 then.

current rig (march 2023)

thanks man :) what do you think of the M50's ?

they are one of the most comfortable headsets you can find and for that price the quality of the sound and the build quality is over the top.

just a tip, get the version(new) that has the removable cable because it will save you lot of trouble with the long cable from the older versions.

my M50s had a coiled Cable but it was heavy and bulky(didnt like it very much) I moded my M50 so my one now has a removable cable.

been looking at this video. i think i will go for the custom one pro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxAWhNldzRw

current rig (march 2023)

the coiled cable version of the m50 is a great portable with the media player in your jeans pocket the cable hangs mid thigh up to your head exactly the same as the chain wallet I used to wear as a kid (don't judge me it was cool at the time) and rugged construction I don't expect this to break on me 

now as per the the overpricing thing. 

I understand that its been listed at around 100 in the past and at that price its a steal of a deal but to say its overpriced and then in the same sentence recommend the dt770 is absurd. I love my dt770 and I love my m50 but they're both the same price and the dt770 while having a pleasing bass has abysmal mids and detail. in no way do I see $50 worth of extra value in the dt770 compared to the m50 

can you buy some accessories with orange accents for the custom one pro? my room is orange/black and i love the color combination. 

+ if i buy the custom one pro i can return the headphones in the first 60 days and get my money back. so if i dont like them or they give me headache i will return them

current rig (march 2023)

You can replace the artworkon the outside of the cup with whatever you want.

i know but is there any with orange artwork? i haven't seen them yet.

current rig (march 2023)

i know but is there any with orange artwork? i haven't seen them yet.

Don't they all sell with the same "art" in the cup?

Don't they all sell with the same "art" in the cup?

ye but at the accessoories part at the beyerdynamic website i've seen red and grey and loads more. but no orange :(

current rig (march 2023)

the answer. 

remove the shroud

spray plastidip 

install

and if you screw up or don't like it you can peel it off. 

http://www.amazon.com/Performix-PLASTI-Mulit-Purpose-Rubber-Coating/dp/B008E0143K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1385499898&sr=8-3&keywords=plasti+dip+orange

haha thanks ;) i will try it some day when i get comfortable with it or when i find someone who ca do it for me.

current rig (march 2023)

when i find someone who ca do it for me.

like I said it is peelable meaning completely reversible. you screw up you peel it off and start again or just go vanilla again.

as for difficulty its as difficult as swapping out a hard drive. pop off 6 or so screws, lay down some newspaper, spray, let dry and install.  as for spraying just do 3 or more passes. going from a light barely there application and build up till it looks decent.