Monitor issue (Solved)

First of all, my hardware that is or could be related to the issue: Primary monitor is a 2560x1440p monitor connected to my pc with a DP cable, secondary monitor is a 1920x1080 monitor connected with DVI-D (dual link) cable and my 3rd monitor is 1600x900 connected with VGA. My GPU is a GTX 960 (latest drivers, I checked) with 4GB of Vram. I'm running Windows 10 (updated from 8.1)

Now to the issue itself: I recently went to a LAN party and only brought my primary monitor. The LAN lasted for 4 days and then I returned to my own desk with the 2 other monitors. I boot up the PC and at first it only shows the picture in my 3rd monitor, not even detecting the other monitors. I reboot the PC, same issue. I reboot the PC with the 3rd monitor disconnected, it shows the picture only in my main monitor, not in the secondary one I also had plugged in. I connect all the monitors, restart the PC, and this is where the real issue begins: The PC shows the motherboard splash art, and after that, boots into a black screen with the cursor showing and the Windows 10 loading icon spinning on my secondary monitor. I reboot the PC, same issue. The thing is, I can still operate my PC while it's in this mode. I could (basically blindfolded) type in my password and (still blind) shut down or restart the PC from the desktop. I tried disconnecting my secondary monitor, only leaving the primary one and the 3rd one plugged in, and the problem is gone. I can operate my PC normally. Then I tried plugging the secondary in again, and the issue occurs again. Please, dear LTT community, help me.

Hi there!

I had a similar problem a while back, and usually this is becuase of the different cables to your monitors.

I don't know why exactly it matters, but I can imagine it's becuase of VGA and DVI being analog and DP being digital.. Not certain however.

My recommendation would be trying only digital cables if possible. Might be hard with your older monitor.

Maybe swap out the DVI to an HDMI?

1 minute ago, MVPernula said:

Hi there!

I had a similar problem a while back, and usually this is becuase of the different cables to your monitors.

I don't know why exactly it matters, but I can imagine it's becuase of VGA and DVI being analog and DP being digital.. Not certain however.

My recommendation would be trying only digital cables if possible. Might be hard with your older monitor.

Maybe swap out the DVI to an HDMI?

Hey! Thanks for the reply! I'll have to inform that I played around with the 2 working monitors for a while and shut down my PC. After I powered it up again, the problem had solved itself. Still, thank you for the suggestion!