Will we ever reach a Terahertz?

Guest Jagobeth

Considering how fast thy gigahertz grows will we ever reach it if so when do you think that'll happen?

I'm aware how big of a number it is, wikipedia inspired me to ask this.

Not with current technology.

In general I would say no, IMO there is not really a need for something that fast and thus things like power efficiency will come long before a huge speed up.

one day we will...one day

In general I would say no, IMO there is not really a need for something that fast and thus things like power efficiency will come long before a huge speed up.

Not now anyway

the real question is, "Can we dissipate the amount of heat it produce?"

answer: "Yeah, by going to the south or north pole."

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

the real question is, "Can we dissipate the amount of heat it produce?"

answer: "Yeah, by going to the south or north pole."

20000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000mm noctua nf-f12

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

Wouldnt supercomputers push a terahertz with their combined banks of processors? I'm sure theres some pretty epic computers out there, but if you mean in terms of home computing? We will have a new form of computer by then. In the same way we had the microchip revolution we will have the next big thing well before then.

Terahertz.

It confirmed AMD will Release AMD XF9990 1 TErahertz edition

it will come year 2211

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Not in any of our lifetimes, silicon can't handle it at all. We would probably need something more superior than carbon when that comes out as the new silicon in the future.

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

You'd need some new, revolutionary technology given the way clock speeds have been steady for the last couple years. Probably something highly parallel where each processor cycles slower but works together for a cumulative effect, if that's even possible?

The problem is that at such high frequencies it starts to become difficult to directly detect and separate electrical off and on states. For example. you can't directly measure Terahertz EMR because the number of oscillations is too frequent to accurately measure the signal. You would need equipment that could send and distinguish signals cycled at these huge frequencies.

If motherboard pcbs can get thicker so that they won't melt when getting to 8 ghz with Liquid Nitrogen one day one day we will

$$金Trill金$$

And we will never need more them 1MB of hard drive space =D

i think technology will develop not to need more Ghz for more speed so no... i dont think we will ever reach Thz in computing lol

Character artist in the Games industry.

well with intel focusing on nothing but power for next five gens, its going to be a whie. :unsure:

And we will never need more them 1MB of hard drive space =D

Very good quote but I still don't think that speed unless your considering total clock speed of all cores will be desirable in my life time. At least as far as processor are concerned.

With quantum computing or graphene, I believe so.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990