10TB SAS drives not detected in Windows

I have four Seagate 10TB SAS drives (ST10000NM0096). I have plugged them into an LSI 9211-4i HBA flashed to IT mode. They do not show up in Disk Management in Windows 7. I have also tried Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS and they do not show up in Gparted. The PC I'm using is a Dell Precision 690, but I have also tried moving the HBA into an Optiplex 9010 and did the same thing. I also tried plugging the drives into the motherboard (the Precision 690 has an LSI 1068e SAS controller built in), but that didn't work either, though I know the controller onboard is very old and doesn't support >2TB drives. I have used SATA drives with this HBA and they were detected fine. I thought that because this HBA supports 6Gb/s SAS that these drives would work. I don't know if I need a new HBA or if by some chance all four drives are DOA. Please Help. 

I've attached pictures of the HBA and drives.IMG_20170707_141223113.thumb.jpg.34e54a978c86664826337de8f26d09a4.jpgIMG_20170707_141420232.thumb.jpg.54668a5e88d2e5f085ff8a2841f3e3c8.jpg

Does the drive show up in the boot message of the sas hba?

Probably just the hba doesn't like the drives, try a newer hba that support 12gig sas

During boot it says "no compatible devices detected". Every where I look, people say that SAS is backwards compatible, and 12Gb drives will work but just run slower. Unfortunately I have to actually buy a new HBA to try a 12Gb one. Any suggestions on which one to get? Currently looking at the  Lsi 9300-8i. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I bought an LSI 9300-8i and it worked perfectly. Let it be known that the 9211-4i doesn't work with Seagate's 10TB drives for some reason.

• 5 months later...

Adaptec 8405 does not work with the Seagate 10TB ST10000NM0096.

I followed your lead and got an LSI 9300-8i and it doesn't detect my ST10000NM0096.  My drive is detected on an OLD Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard with onboard SAS controller.  But it will only allow 6 Gb/s because of it's age.  I even updated the firmware on the Seagate drive to E02 from E01.  Downloaded the latest BIOS for the LSI 9300-8i from broadcom site SAS3_UEFI_BSD_P14 and flashed the BIOS.  Any suggestions?

On 1/14/2018 at 3:33 PM, BKS said:

I followed your lead and got an LSI 9300-8i and it doesn't detect my ST10000NM0096.  My drive is detected on an OLD Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard with onboard SAS controller.  But it will only allow 6 Gb/s because of it's age.  I even updated the firmware on the Seagate drive to E02 from E01.  Downloaded the latest BIOS for the LSI 9300-8i from broadcom site SAS3_UEFI_BSD_P14 and flashed the BIOS.  Any suggestions?

The max speed I get out these drives with CrystalDiskMark is 245 MB/s read, 214 MB/s write, so I doubt the drive is going to suffer in speed from the 6Gb/s connection, as that doesn't even saturate 3 Gb/s. 

I don't know why your drives aren't detected because mine worked perfectly with the controller right out of the box. All I can say is check everything. Make sure it has drivers installed in Device Manager (it will be under Storage Controllers). Go into the actual controller's configuration menu on startup and see if the drives show up. Make sure the connectors are pushed all the way in and the card is seated fully in the pci-e slot. Try the controller card in a different motherboard if possible. If you've checked everything, I have no idea why mine work and your's don't, other than possibly something wrong with the controller or it's cable.

• 3 months later...

Try a Molex to S-ATA Adaptor - something without 3,3V on the Connector.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"