GTX 1050ti Dual Monitors?

Hello!

I'm pretty new to building gaming computers, and I have a question about the GTX 1050ti and being able to support dual monitors.

The 1050ti has a Dual Link DVI-D port on the back. Is it possible to run two monitors with different displays on each just by using a splitter, or would I need a monitor with DisplayPort/HDMI?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

(yes, my account is very new, had to sign up to post this.) 

You cannot run different images off a single DVI port. You can do it off DisplayPort via MST. If you have two DVI monitors, plug one into the DVI port and then get a HDMI to DVI adaptor and plug the other one into the HDMI port via the adaptor. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

-snip-

+1

Also welcome to the LTT forums!

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

Before you make that decision make sure the 1050ti can run your monitors... you don't want your 1050ti running too hot or too slow or any other problems. The more intense what ever you are doing the more power for you'll need so if you're going to run both monitors for high-end gaming, you might want to buy a new Graphics Card, this topic has many factors I just want you to know do your research so you won't run into troubles. 

WELCOME TO LTT... SUBSCRIBE TO THE LINUS TECH TIPS CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE (If you haven't already) BECAUSE THEY TALK ABOUT THESE THINGS A LOT, EVERYTHING I KNOW IS FROM THEM (Thanks LTT.) ALSO CHECK OUY THEIR TECH QUICKIE WHERE THEY TEACH YOU SOMETHING NEW TWICE A WEEK!

Links:

LTT CHANNEL: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXuqSBlHAE6Xw-yeJA0Tunw

TECH QUICKIE: https://www.youtube.com/user/Techquickie

(your welcome Linus :D, thanks again if you ever see this)

Just now, ChoosingANameIsHard! said:

Before you make that decision make sure the 1050ti can run your monitors... you don't want your 1050ti running too hot or too slow or any other problems. The more intense what ever you are doing the more power for you'll need so if you're going to run both monitors for high-end gaming, you might want to buy a new Graphics Card, this topic has many factors I just want you to know do your research so you won't run into troubles. 

Dual monitors for gaming would result in a black bar in the middle of the game screen, so I doubt it would be used for that. For other uses, the impact of running an additional monitor is negligible. Even when running multiple 1080p monitors and a 4K monitor, the difference in gaming performance is non-existent. If other programs are running on the monitors, it can have a performance impact, but that happens if they're being run in the background on only a single monitor anyway.

Im currently running three 1080p monitors on my GTX1050ti (I have mulitple browers running and Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Running at the same time!!! ( I love to multitask)

My Rig:

Core i7 930 on water Overclocked to 2,99Ghz

24Gb Ram (generic)

GTX1050Ti 4Gb Oc Editon (also Generic)

2x Iiyama Prolite E2483HS Monitors

1x Iiyama Prolite E2271HDS monitor

As you can see it's not an up to date rig - but it does what I need!!!

Regards 

Tom

21 minutes ago, limerii said:

Hello!

I'm pretty new to building gaming computers, and I have a question about the GTX 1050ti and being able to support dual monitors.

The 1050ti has a Dual Link DVI-D port on the back. Is it possible to run two monitors with different displays on each just by using a splitter, or would I need a monitor with DisplayPort/HDMI?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

(yes, my account is very new, had to sign up to post this.) 

I have a GTX950 Ti I picked up Holiday 2016 for about $125 CAD and it runs both a 1440p and 1080p display just fine, even whilst gaming. Sure, I don't get blazing framerates, but for the titles I play, I can obtain 60FPS pretty easily at 1440p on High-Ultra settings. You will need a monitor with inputs for each of the inputs on the GPU multiplied by the number of displays you want to run though. So one HDMI, one DVI, one DisplayPort, etc.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just now, kirashi said:

You will need a monitor with inputs for each of the inputs on the GPU multiplied by the number of displays you want to run though. So one HDMI, one DVI, one DisplayPort, etc.

You can just adapt from one to another, no need to limit monitor choice when a $10 adaptor can solve the issue. 

16 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You can just adapt from one to another, no need to limit monitor choice when a $10 adaptor can solve the issue. 

Sorry, I should have mentioned this is an option too, rather than buying new monitors.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)