New pc high temp cpu

Go to solution Solved by Glennieboyyy007,

everybody says reseat the cooler, but let her take a look at the voltage. it might be like 1.3V, make sure it is around 1.2V or a bit higher when you get crashes with a blue screen and whea error code (turn voltage up in increments of 0.05V to be safe and test stability with aida64)

note: i'm not sure if you can even change the voltage on non 'z' motherboards

Hello,

A friend of me made his first pc yesterday she does not have windows or anything installed and cpu temps are already at 60 degrees celcius.

She is using a stock cooler with thermal paste that was applied to the cpu cooler (atleast this is what she told me) i am new in building pc's but i have never heard of thermal paste that is already on the cooler.

she did remove the plastic underneath the cooler.

does anyone know why the cpu temps are so high? the fan is working and her room temp is around 30c.

This may be a stupid question, does she have the heatsink on? If so, is the fan on top of the heatsink? Is the fan plugged in? If yes to all of that, what kind of CPIU is she running? Is all the proper connections connected from the case to the motherboard? What type of power supply is she using? 

There are a good bit of factors to be considered when it comes to overheating CPU. After checking all of that go to the BIOS and check the fan speak and volts being applied to the fan. 

What is CPU? Is it under load? Little warm if its not, but stock coolers arent typically that great (With the exception of Ryzen, that one isnt that bad) and Kabylake does have thermal issues (Assuming its that) so I dont think its a problem. BTW Stock coolers typically have their paste pre-applied to the cooler.  

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

• Which CPU is she using?
  • I would still recommend putting your own Thermal Compound onto the CPU.
  • Are the parts of the stock cooler installed and the right way around (E.G. does she have the heatsink installed etc etc)

It sounds like you need to re-apply your themmal pate, i recommend doing it like this:

1- Get some arctic silver 5 , Its the best I have found. 

2- Once you have taken the heat sink off, put some TIM remover onto some tissue, toilet paper will be fine, and gently wipe over the CPU/GPU/North bridge. until there is no paste left. 

3- Wait 2-3 minutes

4- Wipe all the surfaces you have just cleaned with a material like your t-shirt

5- Apply a line of thermal paste in a parallel line to the longest edge on the CPU.

6- Spred it out, you want a thin layer over the whole die, making sure that you can't see the die. 

7- Place the heat sink down and wait for about a minute to let the air escape

8- Put the screws back in a star like pattern, don't tighten them too much until they are all in, you don't want the heat sink to move at all. 

9- Make sure that it is all tight and reassemble you computer. 

Is the fan spinning? The pre-applied thermal paste isn't too great, nor is a stock cooler. If temps are still high then I recommend having a look at the hyper 212 eve/led. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

well i know here from playing games together

iknow the heatsink is on the cpu, the fan is on top and working.

she is using a intel core i5 7500 cpu and the 1 cable from the case is not connected to the motherboard thats a usb cable bc she didnt understand where to put it (yes she did read the manual)

This is the name of the psu: Corsair VS650

the cpu is not under any load it is only running the bios its a 100% new pc no old parts used

I'd just reseat the cooler. its not uncommon to put it on incorrectly 

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

3 minutes ago, Bartb56 said:

she is using a intel core i5 7500 cpu and the 1 cable from the case is not connected to the motherboard thats a usb cable bc she didnt understand where to put it (yes she did read the manual)

PSU isnt very good, but that isnt the problem here. I dont think it will be an issue (Not unless it thermal throttles under load), but if she is worried she could buy new thermal paste and re-seat the cooler. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

The USB cable from the case goes into one of the USB header on the motherboard;

http://www.motherboards.org/images/reviews/motherboards/2093_p4_13.jpg

For the temperatures to be that high means the heatsink isn't installed properly, tell her to remove it, check if the plastic film on the heatsink is still there and check a youtube video for assembling the heatsink properly.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Its worth saying that I have had situations, like with a recent build of mine, where the CPU will run oddly warm under no load, before the OS is installed. However, it couses no issues, and once the OS was installed, it went back to totally normal temps.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

29 minutes ago, Bartb56 said:

Corsair VS650

Eww...Bad PSU

Try reseat cooler

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

53 minutes ago, Bartb56 said:

50 minutes ago, Bartb56 said:

the cpu is not under any load it is only running the bios its a 100% new pc no old parts used

You sure she didn't scrape off the thermal paste?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

everybody says reseat the cooler, but let her take a look at the voltage. it might be like 1.3V, make sure it is around 1.2V or a bit higher when you get crashes with a blue screen and whea error code (turn voltage up in increments of 0.05V to be safe and test stability with aida64)

note: i'm not sure if you can even change the voltage on non 'z' motherboards

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

i want to thank everyone for helping me out is there a way i can lock the post or does that happen automatic? im new to the ltt forums