EVGA 1080 Ti black edition vs non black. What's the difference?

LaboonTheWhale

Hey guys. 

So there's a 1080 ti black edition. Available in my area for 639 used was debating if I should pick that up  

I'm not familiar with the NVIDIA sides of things and not too familiar with their specific OEMs like EVGA. What's the difference 

I'm tempted to jump on it because I'm tired of waiting for vega.  I play at 1440 144hz so I need that horsepower. 

How much does a fury x go for on the second hand market? I could sell to recoup some costs. 

Comparing it to the same looking card that isn't black(same shroud, clock speed etc) its literally just that the shroud is black on the black edition.

Regular

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 GAMING Graphics Card

Black edition

11G-P4-6393-KR_1_LargeProductImage.jpg?width=700&height=700&v=1

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

Comparing it to the same looking card that isn't black(same shroud, clock speed etc) its literally just that the shroud is black on the black edition.

Ohhh. it really is that simple. lol. 

7 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Ohhh. it really is that simple. lol. 

No

8085941e175e7c014bcff10e39c4cc6a.png

From what I've gathered, the Black Edition is the reference board with an ICX cooler on it. That's all. The SC2 has a custom board that has thermal sensors on it, allows you to control each fan individually, has a safety fuse, and other things. Power delivery seems to be the same and I doubt one would overclock better than the other. -source

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

No

8085941e175e7c014bcff10e39c4cc6a.png

So other than RGB and some bells and whistles of software features, I'm not really missing out on much? 

11 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Hey guys. 

So there's a 1080 ti black edition. Available in my area for 639 used was debating if I should pick that up  

I'm not familiar with the NVIDIA sides of things and not too familiar with their specific OEMs like EVGA. What's the difference 

I'm tempted to jump on it because I'm tired of waiting for vega.  I play at 1440 144hz so I need that horsepower. 

How much does a fury x go for on the second hand market? I could sell to recoup some costs. 

Well the color is different. But based on previous posts doesnt look like gaming performance will be too different. Go for the cheaper option, whether that be the black or the normal

3 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

So other than RGB and some bells and whistles of software features, I'm not really missing out on much? 

You’re missing out on a custom board, RGB, Asynchronous fans, and iCX temp sensors. Not all of it is just missing software.

1 minute ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

A custom PCB vs Reference, You're missing out on thermal sensors, and  asynchronous fans.

For more information just read this thread...

https://forums.evga.com/What-is-the-difference-between-the-1080-Ti-Black-Edition-and-the-SC-Gaming-Edition-m2636243.aspx

Just now, Aytex said:

A custom PCB vs Reference, You're missing out on thermal sensors, and  asynchronous fans.

For more information just read this thread...

https://forums.evga.com/What-is-the-difference-between-the-1080-Ti-Black-Edition-and-the-SC-Gaming-Edition-m2636243.aspx

Could you explain the asynchronous fans? and without the thermal sensors am I missing out on more accurate temperature readings? 

And with the reference PCB, would I just not be able to OC as far if I wanted to? 

Just now, LaboonTheWhale said:

Could you explain the asynchronous fans? and without the thermal sensors am I missing out on more accurate temperature readings? 

And with the reference PCB, would I just not be able to OC as far if I wanted to? 

• However, the card does not feature the iCX Technology, which means:
  • Fans are not asynchronous (only 1 fan header, not two)
  • Only the Nvidia GPU sensor (standard on all Nvidia cards)
  • Standard PCB, without any of the exclusive iCX PCB features (with the exception of a safety fuse).

Quoted from the thread i linked.. Seriously just read it.. Most of all your questions has already been answered over there.

1 minute ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

None of the 1080 TIs OC much differently. Async fans will spin individually according to temps.

Just now, Aytex said:
  • However, the card does not feature the iCX Technology, which means:
  • Fans are not asynchronous (only 1 fan header, not two)
  • Only the Nvidia GPU sensor (standard on all Nvidia cards)
  • Standard PCB, without any of the exclusive iCX PCB features (with the exception of a safety fuse).

Quoted from the thread i linked.. Seriously just read it.. Most of all your questions has already been answered over there.

On mobile so its just a hassle to go back and forth. sorry for just asking. 

On mobile so its just a hassle to go back and forth. sorry for just asking. 

iCX temp sensors are added for power and memory temps in addition to just the gpu.

I have a 1080 Ti Black. It's a good card. Mine is running at 2GHz core, 6200/12400 memory. 640 is a fair price. However I would recommend buying a FTW3 as they come with a higher power limit. I had to flash my black edition card to the FTW3 bios to increase the power limit for max OC. 

Oh and Fury X, LOL. AMD hasn't made good GPUs in ~5 years. 

3 minutes ago, bomerr said:

Oh and Fury X, LOL. AMD hasn't made good GPUs in ~5 years. 

Thats not really relevant to the discussion or of what was asked. flame war doesn't need to be started here. 

Edit: also FTW3 is also ~$150 more than the black edition. is it really worth that price bump? 

6 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Thats not really relevant to the discussion or of what was asked. flame war doesn't need to be started here. 

Edit: also FTW3 is also ~$150 more than the black edition. is it really worth that price bump? 

Is that including tax? You can flash the BIOS form the SC Black to the FTW3 yourself. It's pretty easy but you are stuck with a slightly smaller heatsink and a reference card with less VRMs. 

Just now, bomerr said:

Is that including tax? You can flash the BIOS form the SC Black to the FTW3 yourself. It's pretty easy but you are stuck with a slightly smaller heatsink and a reference card with less VRMs. 

No the Newegg doesn't charge me tax. Well now that I think about it. since the 1080 Ti is at a microcenter, it'll have tax which will bring it up to $677. 677 vs 770 seems a little more obvious now... 

No the Newegg doesn't charge me tax. Well now that I think about it. since the 1080 Ti is at a microcenter, it'll have tax which will bring it up to $677. 677 vs 770 seems a little more obvious now... 

Can you buy it form B&H photo? 

Just now, bomerr said:

Can you buy it form B&H photo? 

the black edition is an open box which is why its 638 w/o tax. it has to be in store purchase. 

the black edition is an open box which is why its 638 w/o tax. it has to be in store purchase. 

I mean can you buy the FTW3 from B&H w/ no tax? I got a Microcenter local too but I usually buy from B&H because of no tax now. 

15 minutes ago, bomerr said:

I mean can you buy the FTW3 from B&H w/ no tax? I got a Microcenter local too but I usually buy from B&H because of no tax now. 

Ah that's what you meant. Newegg has a $20 MIR which is why I considered it. I Don't get charged tax by b&h