Advice needed on connecting broadband from outside to inside my place

I’m hoping that someone can give me some advice here.

I’ve just moved to a new place and I’m getting the internet connected to the house, the company are fitting ADSL (basically a DSL connection). So the phone connection comes to the house and is connected to a box outside of the house, that feeds inside to another junction box which then distributes the connections like a network to a few points around the house but as far as I can see they are all RJ45 points around the inside of the house and I cannot see any RJ11 connections around the inside of the house.

If I get the broadband engineer to connect the house up and bring the connection to one specific point within the house can I simply replace the RJ45 panel to a RJ11 one? Or even better can I simply buy an RJ45 to RJ11 converter? Would that work?

I know it’s very hard to give me accurate reply’s without knowing for sure, but as I have just moved in I am short on info plus it’s not helping  me that the Landlord (lovely guy in fairness) is not sure as it’s a new build and he had the builders do most of the work. In saying that, can anyone give me some advice on how this should work? I can get more info when I get home tonight btw so ask away if more info will help

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Well if the connection is going to be for internet RJ45 would be correct. That is your standard Ethernet connection. Are you worried about not having any phone lines?

So normally the internet has come in through the phone line to the house, They connect the phone connection to the house and that then reaches the RJ11 panel (normal phone line) inside the house. I would then plug the modem into the RJ11 connection and then the modem would distribute the internet connection throughout the house, wired and wirelessley but now as there is no phone point inside the house (RJ11) I can't do that. Thats my dilemma. 

If i have the engineer connect to the junction box inside the house can I just use a RJ45 to RJ11 converter at one of the panels inside the house and connect my modem to that?

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

7 hours ago, Ethnod said:

I’ve just moved to a new place and I’m getting the internet connected to the house, the company are fitting ADSL (basically a DSL connection). So the phone connection comes to the house and is connected to a box outside of the house, that feeds inside to another junction box which then distributes the connections like a network to a few points around the house but as far as I can see they are all RJ45 points around the inside of the house and I cannot see any RJ11 connections around the inside of the house.

If I get the broadband engineer to connect the house up and bring the connection to one specific point within the house can I simply replace the RJ45 panel to a RJ11 one? Or even better can I simply buy an RJ45 to RJ11 converter? Would that work?

I know it’s very hard to give me accurate reply’s without knowing for sure, but as I have just moved in I am short on info plus it’s not helping  me that the Landlord (lovely guy in fairness) is not sure as it’s a new build and he had the builders do most of the work. In saying that, can anyone give me some advice on how this should work? I can get more info when I get home tonight btw so ask away if more info will help

So what your saying is you dont see any phone ports in the house? If not, then the phone company may install one. But to answer your question, Many people use Cat 5 and such for phone lines. It just the phone connects dont need as many wires. So technically converting between Phone and Ethernet is easy as long as you have cat 5 or above. But at the end of the day, that phone line has to connect to a modem, or most likely you will get a modem/router combo from your ISP. 

Id say your ISP will find a way. Like Comcast found a way when installing our internet service. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 hours ago, Ethnod said:

Just an FYI, you can plug RJ11 cables into an RJ45 port. They'll fit into the middle, and simply won't use the outside pins in either side.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Just an FYI, you can plug RJ11 cables into an RJ45 port. They'll fit into the middle, and simply won't use the outside pins in either side.

Thanks I found this out last night from talking to a friend. I've worked it out and it should be all good tbh, looks like the house is wire for both network and phone but the systems overlap some how, I'll figure that out and should be all good, thanks for the advice :)

3 hours ago, Ethnod said:

Thanks I found this out last night from talking to a friend. I've worked it out and it should be all good tbh, looks like the house is wire for both network and phone but the systems overlap some how, I'll figure that out and should be all good, thanks for the advice :)

They may have simply used Cat 5/5e/6 cable for everything - a lot of contractors do that because it's often cheaper to buy one big roll of Cat 5e then it is to buy a smaller roll of cat 5e and another smaller roll of cat 3 (in-wall traditional phone cable).

However, the phone connections themselves should be 100% isolated from any internal wiring that's specifically for a LAN.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

18 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

This is the most interesting thing I've learned in several months. :o

33 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

This is the most interesting thing I've learned in several months. :o

lmao really? Yep it does work. But you gotta be somewhat careful plugging it in, as sometimes the manufacturing tolerances are wide enough that you can plug in the wrong pins (shifting it left or right by a single pin), which will make a voice connection not work, of course.

I mean... this is a super obscure piece of knowledge to know, so there's that.