So,

ever since I went to format a USB flash drive and accidentally formatted half a terabyte of useless pictures, games, and music I've been wanting to build a storage server or four for my whole family to use. I want it so each person has their own 10TB hard drive encrypted with their own password so only they can access them and automatic backups for all the devices. I don't know if i should have one sever with four virtual copies of something like FreeNAS or have four separate servers, i would more like to have four separate servers so when the time comes I can move one to another location. On the network I'm looking to backup five iOS devices, three PCs with one running two user accounts, one mac, two android devices, and in the future some Linux Machines. Some cheap hardware suggestions would be highly appreciated since i don't even have a rack yet. Also two of the three PCs and the Mac are wired into the router, everything else is wireless.

Thanks!

I would look into some old Dell tower chassis on Ebay or NZXT Source cases (if you want custom). 

I would recommend rackmount Dell R-series with an inexpensive 24-28U rack.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Do you really need 10TB per person? Seems like a lot to me

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

9 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

Do you really need 10TB per person? Seems like a lot to me

I want it to be future proof but really not for long. My mom always has to get a larger capacity iPhone for all her photos and everyone else is a hard core gamer.

9 minutes ago, noah_the_tinkererer said:

I want it to be future proof but really not for long. My mom always has to get a larger capacity iPhone for all her photos and everyone else is a hard core gamer.

Getting 10TB for everyone isn't exactly futureproofing... since, by definition, one cannot futureproof anything. However, I get what you're saying. I'd instead do an analysis to see how much of what data everyone is storing currently. If you have a few gamers, you could actually move everyone's steam libraries to the server and have them load up games over the network. This would save on disk space for everyone, and one wouldn't need to download game updates individually. It would require having a beefy enough network, and probably a couple caching SSD's inside the server in addition to HDD's.

Rather than having 4 individual servers, each with 10TB per server and their own OS to manage, I would do the following:

• Analyze who is storing how much of what data, and how often they need to access it
  • Build a singular server with 2-3 times as much space as you need now, distributed among multiple hard drives for redundancy
    • Use UnRAID, FreeNAS, or something similar to do this through disk pools. I DO NOT RECOMMEND HARDWARE RAID SOLUTIONS. EVER.
    • Assign user accounts and disk quotas to the accounts via the control panel, and setup a couple of cache SSD's to cache frequently accessed files
    • Install any services you might need, like BitTorrent clients, PLEX, Backup Server Shares (AFP, SMB, SAMBA, etc.)
  • Upgrade your network to at least 1GBit locally, if not 10GBit for Steam Library accessing
    • You can often find cheaper used 10Gbit server grade networking gear on eBay
  • Build a second server now, or when you can afford it, or just get a managed solution like a Synology or QNAP box
    • Run this as a BACKUP/MIRROR of your functioning UnRAID/FreeNAS server ONLY - think of this as cold archival emergency backup ONLY
    • Store it in another location on site if you have to, but ideally you'd move this to a friends house in another timezone for safety

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

10tb per person.... I don't think you have pockets that deep. 

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Buy a Synology NAS and be done with it! Shit, buy a QNAP, I don't care. You are over-complicating things in your original post, you would use one server with a share for each user that the others dont have access to. This is true using a full server or a NAS. and ya,

10TB per person is INSANE! especially considering you need redundancy. Another thing to remember is that if these people move something from their PC to their share, its not a backup anymore, it's now the original, so how are you backing up this server? You'd be forced into using cloud backup or buying a 4 (or maybe 8) drive RAID enclosure to backup the server to, which costs about as much as a NAS to begin with. 

I WANT TO LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT!

If I'm wrong, please make me look like an idiot so everyone can learn from my wrongness.