HD650 vs DT990 Premium

UnknownUser

Which is more comfortable? Which has better sound quality? How would you compare the bass? Are these good for gaming? Which is more fun to use?

One thing to note is that you will basically need an amp to drive the HD650s so factor that into your budget. 

The HD650 are also far more expensive on their own. 

They will work fine for gaming, although if that's all you're really going to be doing with them you might want to look into closed back headphones instead since hearing pretty much everything around you can be a little distracting. 

I do not have direct experience with them, however looking at reviews, the HD650 are a lot more prevalent in the mids and lows. Both should be close in quality with probably some preference towards the HD650s. I can't comment on comfort, on this one you might want to look around and see if there are any music shops that have both so you can try them on. 

As to fun to use, That's very much up to you. 

11 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

One thing to note is that you will basically need an amp to drive the HD650s so factor that into your budget. 

The HD650 are also far more expensive on their own. 

They will work fine for gaming, although if that's all you're really going to be doing with them you might want to look into closed back headphones instead since hearing pretty much everything around you can be a little distracting. 

I do not have direct experience with them, however looking at reviews, the HD650 are a lot more prevalent in the mids and lows. Both should be close in quality with probably some preference towards the HD650s. I can't comment on comfort, on this one you might want to look around and see if there are any music shops that have both so you can try them on. 

As to fun to use, That's very much up to you. 

Open back headphones are better for gaming and also I listen to rap/hip-hop and some pop. But gaming is number one priority and music is second.

12 minutes ago, UnknownUser said:

Open back headphones are better for gaming and also I listen to rap/hip-hop and some pop. But gaming is number one priority and music is second.

Hd 650's for sure.The DT 990s are a little too good to be practical for games

My life

7 minutes ago, Himommies said:

how are the dt990 too good and not the hd650?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Just now, spwath said:

how are the dt990 too good and not the hd650?

I would say from personal experience that the 650's just make footsteps and all that easier to hear because it's not as flat

My life

12 minutes ago, Himommies said:

I still don't understand how the 990s are too good

Just now, UnknownUser said:

I still don't understand how the 990s are too good

It's too flat.footsteps in games are difficult to hear

My life

Do you have experience? Which ones are more immersive and exciting to use?

50 minutes ago, Himommies said:

I would say from personal experience that the 650's just make footsteps and all that easier to hear because it's not as flat

??? hd650 is much more flat, and better, than dt990

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

On 7/3/2017 at 12:21 AM, Himommies said:

"Flat" generally refers to the sound signature. I'm not sure what to call DT990 (600 ohms); the bass and treble are boosted, but the bass isn't so boosted that it's V-shaped, and the treble is too much boosted to be U-shaped. Footsteps being difficult to hear is the complete opposite of my experience with using DT990. Despite having boosted bass, details and sound cues are very prominent near explosions, tanks, collapsing buildings, gun fights, etc. 

1 hour ago, Himommies said:

You're very confused. Please go directly to Jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

7 minutes ago, UnknownUser said:

Does anyone actually know which ones are better?

Activating dick mode.

Please get it through your head that in life, and certainly audio, there is usually no objective "better". Anyone that claims otherwise is talking out of their ass.

My experience with the DT 880 and HD 650 is that the 650 has the edge in comfort. Even though the pads are harder, their shape worked better for me and they don't break down nearly as quickly.

In terms of sound, there is no doubt that the HD 650 is smoother and more resolving. Some people might prefer the DT 990, but you can usually find someone to say good things about any POS product.

Bottom line, just fucking buy one and find out for yourself. Amazon has a 30-day return policy for a reason.

The question should be which one is better of HD650 and Fidelio X2 in regards to what you wrote in your other thread. DT990 (600 ohms) has much better detail retrieval than Fidelio X2 and doesn't have the abundance of sub-bass that can be way too overpowering on Fidelio X2 in online FPS games. But Fidelio X2 is still adequate for this type of gaming. The sub-bass is great for immersive gaming and hip-hop and rap. I think it has a warm sound. I find the brightness on DT990 to be too harsh and sparkly and sibilant for immersive gaming and music. I use both with Schiit Magni 2U (not an amp I recommend for these headphones) and Modi 2U, so that adds a little brightness to these, but even when using DT990 with Creative X7, it was still very bright.

44 minutes ago, Tacanacy said:

The question should be which one is better of HD650 and Fidelio X2 in regards to what you wrote in your other thread. DT990 (600 ohms) has much better detail retrieval than Fidelio X2 and doesn't have the abundance of sub-bass that can be way too overpowering on Fidelio X2 in online FPS games. But Fidelio X2 is still adequate for this type of gaming. The sub-bass is great for immersive gaming and hip-hop and rap. I find the brightness on DT990 to be too harsh and sparkly and sibilant for immersive gaming. I think the brightness is awful for music.

X2s or 990s or 650s then?

59 minutes ago, SSL said:

Activating dick mode.

Please get it through your head that in life, and certainly audio, there is usually no objective "better". Anyone that claims otherwise is talking out of their ass.

My experience with the DT 880 and HD 650 is that the 650 has the edge in comfort. Even though the pads are harder, their shape worked better for me and they don't break down nearly as quickly.

In terms of sound, there is no doubt that the HD 650 is smoother and more resolving. Some people might prefer the DT 990, but you can usually find someone to say good things about any POS product.

Bottom line, just fucking buy one and find out for yourself. Amazon has a 30-day return policy for a reason.

Your right... BUT I don't have an amp so some of the headphones I might try might sound bad even though their good with a good amp. Also have you used the x2s? How are they? And how would you compare the bass of the 650s to the 990s to the x2s? Also which one is the most fun to use for gaming?

It depends on if you want more awareness (DT990) or more immersion (Fidelio). Both have sturdy builds and they are the most comfortable headphones I've used. Fidelio is good for hip-hop and rap. I haven't used HD650. Spend the extra $200 or so on a DAC and an amp, perhaps. Or get both headphones.

4 minutes ago, Tacanacy said:

It depends on if you want more awareness (DT990) or more immersion (Fidelio). Both have sturdy builds and they are the most comfortable headphones I've used. Fidelio is good for hip-hop and rap. I haven't used HD650. Spend the extra $200 or so on a DAC and an amp, perhaps. Or get both headphones.

Thanks! I think I'll buy both and keep the one I like more (return the other one) and later maybe get the 650s.