Best headphones under $500 for gaming

UnknownUser

I need headphones under $500 for mainly gaming and some music. I definitely want lots of bass. I want to have an immersive experience but also a little bit of a tactical advantage. The headphones also must be comfortable and have good sound quality. I listen to hip-hop/rap and some pop. 

Note: The only headphones I have actually tried are beats

Edit: The motherboard I have is the z270e strix with SupremeFX onboard sound 

6 minutes ago, UnknownUser said:

I need headphones under $500 for mainly gaming and some music. I definitely want lots of bass. I want to have an immersive experience but also a little bit of a tactical advantage. The headphones also must be comfortable and have good sound quality. I listen to hip-hop/rap and some pop. 

When you say lots of bass, you want basically a subwoofer on your ears? or Something a bit above that?

I'd recommend the Beyerdynamic Dt 770 Pro.

5 minutes ago, UnknownUser said:

I just got Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm, lots of bass, clear sound, well worth it and not even close to your max budget. $500 for Headphones is a little much..

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

14 minutes ago, Atreyix said:

When you say lots of bass, you want basically a subwoofer on your ears? or Something a bit above that?

I'd recommend the Beyerdynamic Dt 770 Pro.

I still want to be able to hear footsteps so not insane but a good amount

4 minutes ago, UnknownUser said:

Dt990 vs dt770? And pro of premium?

It honestly is up to you, the 990s are open, and the 770 are closed. different sound signature.

6 minutes ago, Atreyix said:

It honestly is up to you, the 990s are open, and the 770 are closed. different sound signature.

Which sounds better to you? I'm leaning towards the dt990s but pro or premium? Are these the only headphones you would recommend?

Beyerdynamic is probably the way to go if you want bass. Open-backed is the way to go if you're looking for positional audio. DT990's are most likely your best bet; just be careful if you're sensitive to harsh treble.

If you've got the money and are willing to get an amp some planars might be a good option too. Not too familiar with that lineup, but I'm guessing you'd be looking at something like HE400's or MP1060's and a Magni. Much better performing but worse QC/comfort, and may need some modding.

2 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

Beyerdynamic is probably the way to go if you want bass. Open-backed is the way to go if you're looking for positional audio. DT990's are most likely your best bet; just be careful if you're sensitive to harsh treble.

If you've got the money and are willing to get an amp some planars might be a good option too. Not too familiar with that lineup, but I'm guessing you'd be looking at something like HE400's or MP1060's and a Magni. Much better performing but worse QC/comfort, and may need some modding.

Ok I think I'll go somewhere where I can try the 990s. Like I said I've only used beats before. I also will look into spending a bit more.

9 minutes ago, UnknownUser said:

Which sounds better to you? I'm leaning towards the dt990s but pro or premium? Are these the only headphones you would recommend?

Personally, I use my DT 770s because of the close back... not that much sound leakage.

Another pair of cans I would recommend would be Sennheiser HD650 or 600... pretty solid pair also.

Didn't mean to double post oops.. 

Open back basically has a speaker on the outside... anything you hear, others will hear. fyi.

30 minutes ago, Wingfan said:

I just got Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm, lots of bass, clear sound, well worth it and not even close to your max budget. $500 for Headphones is a little much..

That's audiophile price lol.

Ive got my 990's paired with a FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier, very good combo. And still under your budget ;)

20170603_170240.jpg

20170610_223235.jpg

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

9 minutes ago, Wingfan said:

Ive got my 990's paired with a FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier, very good combo. And still under your budget ;)

20170603_170240.jpg

20170610_223235.jpg

Do I need an amp/dac with my motherboard?

4 minutes ago, UnknownUser said:

Do I need an amp/dac with my motherboard?

"Need' no, but it does make a big difference

2 minutes ago, Wingfan said:

"Need' no, but it does make a big difference

Okay. Do you know anything about this supremefx onboard sound on my motherboard? Supposedly it's really good. 

35 minutes ago, UnknownUser said:

Okay. Do you know anything about this supremefx onboard sound on my motherboard? Supposedly it's really good. 

It's basically a realtek chip that's been modified with some creative software. Little bit more interference protection. Bout it.

If you want to get a amp/dac.. I just say  get a sound blaster z sound card, that has a amp which powers the 990s perfectly fine.

If you don't want a soundcard or amp, make sure you get the 32ohm version of the headphone, your mobo will power that no problem. The 80-250ohm headphones won't get the full potential.

1 hour ago, Atreyix said:

It's basically a realtek chip that's been modified with some creative software. Little bit more interference protection. Bout it.

If you want to get a amp/dac.. I just say  get a sound blaster z sound card, that has a amp which powers the 990s perfectly fine.

If you don't want a soundcard or amp, make sure you get the 32ohm version of the headphone, your mobo will power that no problem. The 80-250ohm headphones won't get the full potential.

sound blaster cards suck and that full potential is just bs. Most onboard on decent motherboards will have no problem delivering the power a pair of 250ohm DT770's would need. Also you can always improve upon your DAC and amp which will make the sound better in some way, there really isn't such a thing as full potential.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Should I still get the 990s or are there better headphones 

2 hours ago, UnknownUser said:

Should I still get the 990s or are there better headphones 

DT 990's treble can be a bit harsh and too much for some people, I would highly recommend you try them before buying them, they do offer a decent soundstage and pretty decent positional audio and ofc a good amount of bass for open headphones

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

DT 990's treble can be a bit harsh and too much for some people, I would highly recommend you try them before buying them, they do offer a decent soundstage and pretty decent positional audio and ofc a good amount of bass for closed headphones

The dt990 are open