Will a 780 satisfy my needs?

JellySicklez

Hi all, 

I got my new rig and new monitor last month without the GPU.

My Rig is 

CPU: i7 4770k @4.2Ghz

Motherboard: Asus Gryphon Z87

RAM: 16gb corsair vengeance black lp

Case: Silverstone TJ08b-e

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S

Boot Drive: samsung 840 250gb

PSU: seasonic M12II 620w Bronze. 

Monitor Asus PB278Q

Now I've got enough money to buy a new GPU, but i'm not sure if I should get a 780 or wait 1.5/2 months to have enough money for a 780ti?

Plus I prefer Nvidia at this moment mainly because Im planning to get AC4 and Batman AO anyway and getting those for free is a great value for me plus i want a gpu that stays relatively cool and quite with a blower style cooler. 

Will a 780 be enough for me to run @1440p at all maxed out settings (willing to sacrifice AA) and stay above 30fps average?

Yes it should be enough. But why do you want a blower style cooler? You could get the Asus DCUII which is one of the best, if not the best coolers for any graphics card(not talking waterblocks). And it's very very silent.

Do you really need 1.5/2 months of waiting time for the difference in price?

Yes it should be enough. But why do you want a blower style cooler? You could get the Asus DCUII which is one of the best, if not the best coolers for any graphics card(not talking waterblocks). And it's very very silent.

because he is using a small enclosure its best to get blowerstyle when u dont have much air flow in your case.

as for the op if your going to wait 1.5/2 months u masewell wait for maxwell which is what i would do.

Whether or not you should wait for Maxwell at this point is a tough decision to make. Seeing as you need a gpu NOW I would go for a 780, and you should be perfectly fine with that. You may want to buy an EVGA card if you're going with the reference cooler as they offer a step up program, so if Maxwell is released within the next 3 months you can trade in your 780 for a Maxwell card.

The case that I have is very small, with positive air pressure (180mm intake, 120mm exhaust) so there isn't much breathing room to have a gpu pumping heat inside the case.

to answer the second question, yes, mainly because i 'm going on holiday with my girlfriend next month so that where my wallet is gonna be drained. (plus if she finds out i spent £550 on a graphics card she'd probably kill me). 

I don't think the 780 will be the end all be all in 1440p. You probably won't be able to consistently get 60fps at 1440p in the newer games like BF4 AC4.

There two main advantages to Nvidia over AMD which are G-Sync and Shadowplay. The first one you won't be able to use and the second you may or may not care about. The R9 290x will perform better than the 780 and with the upcoming Mantle api you might see even more improvements in Mantle supporting games.

So unless you want shadowplay it just makes sense to go with the R9 290x, but will want to wait for some aftermarket coolers.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I don't think the 780 will be the end all be all in 1440p. You probably won't be able to consistently get 60fps at 1440p in the newer games like BF4 AC4.

There two main advantages to Nvidia over AMD which are G-Sync and Shadowplay. The first one you won't be able to use and the second you may or may not care about. The R9 290x will perform better than the 780 and with the upcoming Mantle api you might see even more improvements in Mantle supporting games.

So unless you want shadowplay it just makes sense to go with the R9 290x, but will want to wait for some aftermarket coolers.

um.. sorry to ask this but did you read my post?

um.. sorry to ask this but did you read my post?

Yes you want batman and AC. But I am saying the long term performance will be worth the lack of two games. And someone will make a blower cooler that doesn't suck.

Your reasons for wanting the GTX780 are solid, I see no reason to recommend the 290x, right so will it stay above 30fps @1440p? Short answer yes but maybe not Crysis3 on balls to the walls settings, but from the benches I've seen you should stay over 30fps fairly comfortably.

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Yes you want batman and AC. But I am saying the long term performance will be worth the lack of two games. And someone will make a blower cooler that doesn't suck.

with how hot the 290x already is, i doubt anyone will make an after market blower style cooler. Actually i don't remember seeing any blower style after market coolers on recent  AMD gpu's (i might be wrong) 

blower type coolers are only on refrence design cards as far as i know

Appelzaadje - the Insane

Intel i7-4770K - Maximus VI Formula - Corsair Dominator GT 1866mhz - R9 290X - Xonar DGX - Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb - 3X WD1001FALS - Raven RV01 - Iiyama B2409HDS 3x - Custom water loop - Windows 10 Pro - XFX tripple monitor stand - Steelseries 4HD - Logitech G9, G19, G35 and Z5500

with how hot the 290x already is, i doubt anyone will make an after market blower style cooler. Actually i don't remember seeing any blower style after market coolers on recent  AMD gpu's (i might be wrong) 

No you're right, as far as blower coolers go on aftermarket card, its nonexistent.  

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Fair enough for the AMD, but I would recommend you wait for the 780ti then if you are going Nvidia. Plus like @Hans Christian | Teri said you can trade up to Maxwell with EVGA if the cards are that much better.

because he is using a small enclosure its best to get blowerstyle when u dont have much air flow in your case.

as for the op if your going to wait 1.5/2 months u masewell wait for maxwell which is what i would do.

Open air is still better in 99% of situations including a small case.

The 290x is designed to run hot. Even if you have a great cooler, it will push itself to run as fast as possible.

There will probably be aftermarket coolers soon just like the 780 Ti so wait for them except get the 290.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Open air is still better in 99% of situations including a small case.

That's not what Linus says.

That's not what Linus says.

When did he say that?

He says that in 'some' situations. Situations where blower is better are few.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

When did he say that?

He says that in 'some' situations. Situations where blower is better are few.

here 8:57 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSOxvwbke9w he doesnt directly say its better but he implys it for this build also i have heard him actually say it multiple times in any sff build and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWAeZYB9DGg he actually says it at 16:13 

here 8:57 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSOxvwbke9w he doesnt directly say its better but he implys it for this build also i have heard him actually say it multiple times in any sff build and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWAeZYB9DGg he actually says it at 16:13 

It's not the same case. The one the OP is using has much better airflow.

AC4 runs terribly on both GPUs because of poor optimization.

Also, if you want resolutions higher than 1080p, AMD would be more recommended.

But yes, it would easily satisfy your needs.

It's not the same case. The one the OP is using has much better airflow.

I know but its still a pretty cramped space but whatever idrc 

Alrighty guys, managed to snag an MSI reference 780 for 354 quid on sale (i got the last one in stock so I got lucky). comes Saturday, can't wait to experience some 1440p goodness (it's gonna be my first time).

time to say good bye to my 5870, it has served me well(till it died on me 6 weeks ago). 

Well,

I had and have both of them.

I used to own a GTX780SC and a GTX780SC with ACX from EVGA. Now these cards are really high end and you can OC them to a very nice spot. I was really happy with their performance.

But it decided to give the GTX780 Ti SC from EVGA a chance (I´ll watercool it as soon as my EK cooler arrives anyway ;) ) and I have to say if you are looking for top of the line performance... it is the better card. Mine runs with the reference cooler stabil at a core clock of 1267 MHZ. I haven´t overvolted yet and just raised the RAM clock by 75MHz so far, the card is pure madness!

As a comparison I´ve had with my GTX780 SC ACX in 3d Mark on performance mode 13957 points (the card was OCed on air to 1190MHz core clock, slighty overvolted and higher RAM clock). My GTX780 Ti SC hits a score of 15476 points in 3d Mark in performance mode. That´s a lot more and I will go for more once I´ve got my watercooler :) .

By the way I have in my 2nd rig a R9 290X from Asus. Nice card, and I´ll wait what MANTLE will or can do. On water it is a freaking fast card as well. But the GTX780 Ti is the fastest right now.

GreetZ Naj

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

no they won't 

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

You have gone a month without it, wait another month and then get an 880. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

You have gone a month without it, wait another month and then get an 880. 

do you seriously think nvidia is gonna release the 880 next month? 

they just released their flagship kepler, why on planet earth would they release a card that tops it off the next month? especially when amd is struggling to keep up with them.