"New" GPU not detected by Mobo or Monitor.

DarkBlade2117

Specs: In Signature

I had bought a used GTX 580 as I sold my R9 290 for about $160 more than what's it is worth, at least to the average consumer. I had picked up a GTX 580 Gigabyte Windforce card from a guy to hold me over until funds came in for a 1080Ti or Vega launches. The card arrives, I put it in, plug it in ect and nothing. Keep in mind I have 1 cable going to my secondary monitor that is hooked up via iGPU and 1 coming from GPU.

I have tried:
1. Resetting CMOS
2. Changing PCIe slots
3. Booting up with just a single monitor hooked to the 580

None of these had worked, the guy had said the GPU didn't work on older platforms like AM2 but worked fine on his AM3+ rig and X58 boards he's put it in. The card does not show up Device Manager, board does not see it ect. The fans spin up and everything. I've reseat again also. My R9 290 worked fine in the board so I don't think it is a board issue but I want to try any possibility before reaching out to the guy to see what he wants to do.  

also some notes, drivers have all been uninstalled via DDU from my R9 290 and the iGPU. BIOs is up to date. It boots into Windows when just hooked up to the GPU also, again just no signal

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

drivers? try different drivers

take out gpu, boot to desktop, turn off, then install gpu and boot

install in a different slot

try gpu in a different pc

are all cables installed where they should be

try different cables

continuity check your cables

buy new cables

install a known good gpu and see if that works

take it to Bestbuy NerdSquadGeek

sell pc

Just now, yathis said:

drivers?

I can't install them if the card isn't being detected.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

check pcie connector on card for dirt etc, visually inspect the card in detail, check for missing screws or places where screws have been tightened too hard or other defects around the coolers fastening points, smell the board (yes really) for "burnt electrical" smells.

did you see the card working when you bought it? 

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

Have you tried multiple output ports of the GPU?  Different display cable?

Does your bios have a setting something like "primary graphics> igpu or something else"

I feel like I've had this issue before but can't quite remember what it was

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

3 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

Have you tried multiple output ports of the GPU?  Different display cable?

Does your bios have a setting something like "primary graphics> igpu or something else"

I feel like I've had this issue before but can't quite remember what it was

Tried two of the DVI ports on it. Set my primary output adapter to PCIe.

17 minutes ago, Changis said:

check pcie connector on card for dirt etc, visually inspect the card in detail, check for missing screws or places where screws have been tightened too hard or other defects around the coolers fastening points, smell the board (yes really) for "burnt electrical" smells.

did you see the card working when you bought it? 

Didn't personally see card work but the guy got back to me fairly quickly and already is willing to refund me. The GPUs cooler is on fine and I guess ill smell it lol

if you can, just return it.. try to find another card instead of trying to mess about with a maybe dead card.. unless you are doing scrapyard wars and are pressed for time :P

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

1 minute ago, Changis said:

if you can, just return it.. try to find another card instead of trying to mess about with a maybe dead card.. unless you are doing scrapyard wars and are pressed for time :P

I'm not spending more than $40 for a card Ill have for leas than 4 months. Was the best offer I got. I'll keep messing with it until tomorrow

6 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I'm not spending more than $40 for a card Ill have for leas than 4 months. Was the best offer I got. I'll keep messing with it until tomorrow

well, as long as you have the option to return it i guess it can't hurt.. could try baking it as a last resort

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler