Canada: Top court orders Google to block website search results

26 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The thing that strikes me in this thread is that the people I expected to be all in one corner about it aren't. And that is good, because just like your comment, most of the intelligent comments have admitted that to a degree they are not 100% sure on how good or bad this is. There is definitely room/need in our world for regulation to keep the criminals at bay, but how do we ensure such regulation is not misused?

I sadly don't think there is any wiggle-room regarding this. Laws differ from country to country, so saying that a ruling in Canada should affect the whole world is a very bad move.

Even though I agree with the Canadian ruling (strictly for the Canadian version of Google), I think it is idiotic to say that it should apply globally for the same reasons I think saying Russian law should be enforced on Swedish websites.

Remember, previous rulings influence the way future court cases. If this passes you will give country X the power to censor websites in country Y.

Canada gets the power to censor Google in the US, and at the same time you give Russia the power to censor LinusTechTips in Canada.

I really don't think there is a middle ground on this. Countries should only be allowed to enforce their own laws and rulings in their own country, not globally.

8 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I sadly don't think there is any wiggle-room regarding this. Laws differ from country to country, so saying that a ruling in Canada should affect the whole world is a very bad move.

Even though I agree with the Canadian ruling (strictly for the Canadian version of Google), I think it is idiotic to say that it should apply globally for the same reasons I think saying Russian law should be enforced on Swedish websites.

Remember, previous rulings influence the way future court cases. If this passes you will give country X the power to censor websites in country Y.

Canada gets the power to censor Google in the US, and at the same time you give Russia the power to censor LinusTechTips in Canada.

I really don't think there is a middle ground on this. Countries should only be allowed to enforce their own laws and rulings in their own country, not globally.

Do you know how the court had jurisdiction over Google in this instance? 

- snip-

12 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I wasn't saying it should be global or that it is good, just that it is good to see people ask questions and discuss it without being so black and white.  Hence why I said/asked: 

There is definitely room/need in our world for regulation to keep the criminals at bay, but how do we ensure such regulation is not misused?

I tend to see people too quick to consider some regulations or laws like they are a gateway drug that will be used to justify introducing further regulations that can be abused by *enter controlling institution here*, therefore we should oppose them all outright in any shape or form.  That kind of black and white thinking is just as bad as all controlling dictatorships.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

I wasn't saying it should be global or that it is good, just that it is good to see people ask questions and discuss it without being so black and white.  Hence why I said/asked: 

Well, some things are black and white though. It's good to ask question and talk about things, but some things are just flat out bad and should not be acceptable.

Canada enforcing their laws on websites in other countries is one of the things where there really isn't anything to question or talk about. It should not happen.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

I tend to see people too quick to consider some regulations or laws like they are a gateway drug that will be used to justify introducing further regulations that can be abused by *enter controlling institution here*, therefore we should oppose them all outright in any shape or form.  That kind of black and white thinking is just as bad as all controlling dictatorships.

I think you're talking about a very extreme minority who are anarchists, and I don't think we have any of those on this forum. At the very least I don't see any of them in this thread.

15 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I think you're talking about a very extreme minority who are anarchists, and I don't think we have any of those on this forum. At the very least I don't see any of them in this thread.

Oh, I see them around, just not in this thread, hence my comments.  I don't think they are anarchists though, some are in countries where their governments would take advantage of laws and so black and white fears are well founded (I.E the UK internet debacle).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.