What is this doing?

Go to solution Solved by kelvinhall05,

Looks scammy to me. I would run a virus scan.

So this "recommended" update keeps randomly popping up and will not go away until I end it in task manager.  I've gone to through Windows updater and it is saying there's no updates for my pc, so where is this coming from?  Did it come from a virus or what?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Thehellisthis.png

Looks scammy to me. I would run a virus scan.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Since it mentions Yahoo terms of use  and Yahoo search, it could be pushed by Yahoo Messenger or some Yahoo application

Most likely it was some adware installed with another app.  Use Malwarebytes to remove it or just right click in Task Manager to figure out which executable creates the window.

Process Explorer from SysInternals Suite will also tell you (most of the time) which application started this application that shows the popup, and will tell you more detailed info about the application that creates the window.

// just to make it clear, it's like a banner ad, it has nothing to do with Windows Update or anything, it just copies it to scare you into thinking it's needed upgrade.

agreed. scammy looking.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

run CCleaner and uninstall everything related to Yahoo, when you install software make sure you check every page of the installer and not just "next next finish" it, that's how people get 90% of their mal/bloatware

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

• 1 month later...

Well I ran an AVG scan, and I haven't had another occurrence of it.  There was a single threat and I removed it so I think I'm in the clear.

Thanks for all the help!