Powerful, Thin $~1000?

Hi there guys,

I've been looking for a laptop for a while, I just cant come to a decision. I've been looking at the MSI GE62 pro, MSI GS63 Stealth Pro, Dell XPS 13/15, Razer Blade, etc. I just can't come to a decision on price VS performance and I was hoping you guys could share your opinions. 

Going to be using it primarily for average school work, however I am a frequent PC gamer on desktop and would like some capability. 

Concerns weighted towards build quality, portability (doesn't have to be insanely small), graphics

Thanks so much!

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

dell Inspiron 7000 

Are they all 2 in 1? I've never been that interested in the idea, whats your opinion on them?

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

dell Inspiron 7000 

they aren't in stock on Dells website....

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, VengefulCelery said:

Are they all 2 in

nope, i was talking about the 7700HQ and 1050ti model 

2 minutes ago, VengefulCelery said:

I've never been that interested in the idea, whats your opinion on them?

i personally think it's a gimmick, so many mechanical failing points, most of them are not built well, overall i am not a big fan. 

6 minutes ago, VengefulCelery said:

graphics

what kinds of graphics performance are you trying to get out of your laptop?

You say you want "some" capability but that's it. Quantify "some."

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

what kinds of graphics performance are you trying to get out of your laptop?

You say you want "some" capability but that's it. Quantify "some."

Ah yes, should've been more specific. 

I'd like to play fairly low complexity games but still have a decent framerate to play competitively. Overwatch, Counterstrike, etc.

I'd say minimum 960M, IMO

13 minutes ago, VengefulCelery said:

Are they all 2 in 1? I've never been that interested in the idea, whats your opinion on them?

the only people i can see using 2-1's are artists or people who do graphics design. But those people probably have a professional art tablet anyway.

12 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

nope, i was talking about the 7700HQ and 1050ti model 

i personally think it's a gimmick, so many mechanical failing points, most of them are not built well, overall i am not a big fan. 

Ah yeah, I've seen those around. Pretty interesting especially at the price point. Gonna do some research on the display. If the screen is dog shite it might be a dealbreaker.

Just now, VengefulCelery said:

Ah yeah, I've seen those around. Pretty interesting especially at the price point. Gonna do some research on the display. If the screen is dog shite it might be a dealbreaker.

get the 4K display, if that's important to you. 

7 minutes ago, VengefulCelery said:

Ah yes, should've been more specific. 

I'd like to play fairly low complexity games but still have a decent framerate to play competitively. Overwatch, Counterstrike, etc.

I'd say minimum 960M, IMO

i mean, is ultra portability, weight, and battery life a big concern? having a dgpu will lessen all three of those. i would reccomend getting one of the ultralight laptops with a 1050 in them or maybe even just intel hd graphics when most of the stuff your doing on there is schoolwork.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

but battery life...

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

I'm not sure if Im just a dumbass but I can't find an insperion 15 7000 with a 4k display

3 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

i mean, is ultra portability, weight, and battery life a big concern? having a dgpu will lessen all three of those. i would reccomend getting one of the ultralight laptops with a 1050 in them or maybe even just intel hd graphics when most of the stuff your doing on there is schoolwork.

Yeah. Any recommendations for an ultrabook with a 1050?

6 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

but battery life...

Also, a little over budget but thoughts on the Asus ROG GL series?

nice pic bro

I think you're my clone

I make bad life decisions.

1 minute ago, lkarej said:

I think you're my clone

I think you're my clone

8 minutes ago, VengefulCelery said:

Thanks friend. As I asked the guy above, thoughts on the Asus ROG Strix GL series?

i would go for the Xps 15 as @Legolessed suggested if you can afford it, the dell Inspiron 7000 is also a good bet, my problem with Asus Rog series is how poorly they are cooled, not great on the long run. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

i would go for the Xps 15 as @Legolessed suggested if you can afford it, the dell Inspiron 7000 is also a good bet, my problem with Asus Rog series is how poorly they are cooled, not great on the long run. 

Ok, that sounds like a good idea. Really appreciate it. 

Thanks for your help tonight! If anything else comes to mind, feel free to drop it in the thread!