Ubuntu 16.04 hangs after grub

Go to solution Solved by megametrix,

PROBLEM SOLVED
I tried to change the GPU driver  (I was scared of it changing my CUDA installation...). The terminal replied that it was impossible and that I had to run this first:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Rebooted after this command... and here I am, writing from my computer again ! :D

Hello,

I've been using a laptop with linux (ubuntu 16.04 64bit) from the university for 5 months now.

Today after turning it on, it got stuck before showing the list of sessions.

I have a purple background and that's it. It's not the horrible purple that I have when I boot with recovery mode. Just the classic 'ubuntu theme'-purple.

In recovery mode, when doing "resume", it hangs after the line :

[OK] Reached target Bluetooth

_

My researches online brought me to people having that kind of problems after installing ubuntu, updating drivers,... After changing something. But that's not my case, I haven't changed anything in the last days.

Some of them speak about changing the parameters in grub. The university installed CUDA for me and I'm a bit scared of changing setparams 'ubuntu' as the forums says since I do not exactly have the same issues (it's not happening after a new install as I said earlier).

My last activities consit of runing python codes for neural network color modification in pictures.

Computer : HP zbook, i7 6700HQ, quadro m1000m

If you need any information, I'll be refrehing the topic every minutes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

And lastly... This is really URGENT,I have every thing on this computer (python codes, datasets, results, ...), I'm abroad for an erasmus and I have to finish my report on the subject for my next exam... tomorow...

Victor.

Has a kernel update been run? (i.e. when you load into GRUB, (by pressing e) and hit enter of "advanced options for Ubuntu" is there more than one "Linux 4.4.0-xx"? If so, try booting into an older one.

If that doesn't work, try pressing 'e' over "Ubuntu" in the GRUB menu, and going down to the "linux" line and typing nomodeset at the end. Then press F10 to try and boot.

So basically:

Were updates done before the computer reboot?

Was CUDA the only thing installed (i.e. were NVIDIA drivers installed?)

I suspect this to be either: Graphics driver issue, kernel issue (4.4 is an old kernel to use with a 6700HQ) or something I can't even begin to explain :( I can help you if it's the first two, though.

EDIT: If the kernel is being annoying, you can update to 4.10 in Ubuntu 16.04 but it might break things again. I also have a laptop with an 6700HQ and it had horrible power management problems on 4.4 (It was stuck at slowest clock until I opened/closed the lid etc)

I haven't done any update. I borrowed the computer from the univeristy.

But I do have multiple kernels (if that's the right word) :

4.8.0-56, 4.8.0-54, 4.8.0-52, 4.4.0-81, 4.4.0-79

with the second one, I reached the option panel for resume, failsafeX,...

after doing resume, that's where I had the [OK] Reached Bluetooth and nothing more

I tried to add nomodeset :

linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.8.0.56-generic root=/dev/sad2 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff nomodeset

f10

boot

nothing changed, still stuck on the purple screen

When turning it on again, the nomodeset at the end was gone (maybe that's normal, or it wasn't saved...)

5 minutes ago, megametrix said:

I haven't done any update. I borrowed the computer from the univeristy.

But I do have multiple kernels (if that's the right word) :

4.8.0-56, 4.8.0-54, 4.8.0-52, 4.4.0-81, 4.4.0-79

with the second one, I reached the option panel for resume, failsafeX,...

after doing resume, that's where I had the [OK] Reached Bluetooth and nothing more

I tried to add nomodeset :

linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.8.0.56-generic root=/dev/sad2 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff nomodeset

f10

boot

nothing changed, still stuck on the purple screen

When turning it on again, the nomodeset at the end was gone (maybe that's normal, or it wasn't saved...)

In the same "linux" line. Try removing "splash" and replacing it with "text" let's see if it gives us more info.

EDIT: remove "quiet" also from the line. So it should be "linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.8.0.56-generic root=/dev/sad2 ro text $vt_handoff"

2 minutes ago, pipnina said:

In the same "linux" line. Try removing "splash" and replacing it with "text" let's see if it gives us more info.

Nothing, purple screen.

I just replaced splash with text and hit f10. Nothing else should be done to save the new parameters ?

Just now, megametrix said:

Nothing, purple screen.

I just replaced splash with text and hit f10. Nothing else should be done to save the new parameters ?

try removing quiet as well, these changes aren't permanent (i.e. when you reboot the changes are not saved) but they should hold true when you press f10.

I forgot about removing quiet, as quiet will silence messages that could give us information.

25 minutes ago, pipnina said:

Was CUDA the only thing installed (i.e. were NVIDIA drivers installed?)

I did some programing C++/CUDA. I guess it would not have worked without any drivers ? Anyway, I am not aware of any thing else installed/not installed in the graphics side of things.

3 minutes ago, pipnina said:

try removing quiet as well, these changes aren't permanent (i.e. when you reboot the changes are not saved) but they should hold true when you press f10.

I forgot about removing quiet, as quiet will silence messages that could give us information.

replaced quiet splash with text

purple screen, nothing else.

WIN_20170625_14_29_28_Pro.jpg

I'm at a loss then, sorry :(

You could try and save your files by booting into a live CD and moving the files you want to save off the laptop to a USB stick?

1 minute ago, pipnina said:

I'm at a loss then, sorry :(

You could try and save your files by booting into a live CD and moving the files you want to save off the laptop to a USB stick?

Thank you very much for your time !

Being an erasmus in a very small room on a sunday afternoon, I don't have everything accessible to make a boot CD/USB ^^'

I will leave it for now, try to work something out for my presentation and wait for other answer/keep digging on the web.

PROBLEM SOLVED
I tried to change the GPU driver  (I was scared of it changing my CUDA installation...). The terminal replied that it was impossible and that I had to run this first:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Rebooted after this command... and here I am, writing from my computer again ! :D