500 dollar build.

chos5555

Hello guys, recently my aunt has asked me if I can build a new computer for her. She gave me a limit of 500 dollars. On her PC she does web-browsing, work(microsoft office stuff), rarely a browser game :D. So I came here, cause I need help. She wants it to be housed in BitFenix Prodigy M, but that is the only thing that she wants. Also it would be nice if you can fit a GPU in the budget(something like HD 5450), so she won't be running just the on-board graphics. I would love, if you can send me here some ideas how the system should be built(the parts :D). Thanks

Hello guys, recently my aunt has asked me if I can build a new computer for her. She gave me a limit of 500 dollars. On her PC she does web-browsing, work(microsoft office stuff), rarely a browser game :D. So I came here, cause I need help. She wants it to be housed in BitFenix Prodigy M, but that is the only thing that she wants. Also it would be nice if you can fit a GPU in the budget(something like HD 5450), so she won't be running just the on-board graphics. I would love, if you can send me here some ideas how the system should be built(the parts :D). Thanks

With OS?

i think I forgot to say that I live in Czech Republic, and I can't find the i5-2320 for sell in CZ(there is just 1 buying option and that is for 250 bucks), also we don't have Coolmax PSUs and some other stuff :(

Don't you think AMD would be better option here?

i think I forgot to say that I live in Czech Republic, and I can't find the i5-2320 for sell in CZ(there is just 1 buying option and that is for 250 bucks), also we don't have Coolmax PSUs and some other stuff :(Don't you think AMD would be better option here?

AMD would definitely be the better option but it's not compatible with Itx so your aunt would have to choose a different case.

AMD would definitely be the better option but it's not compatible with Itx so your aunt would have to choose a different case.

Wait... the prodigy M and Phenom M are m-atx right?? the normal prodigy and phenom are itx. I thought

Wait... the prodigy M and Phenom M are m-atx right?? the normal prodigy and phenom are itx. I thought

The prodigy m is itx while the regular one is micro atx

If she's just going to using it for normal home office use why not buy pre-built?

Cause I just want to customize it a little bit so it is cheaper, but better in some directions, and it looks better :D I did not see a pre-built system in prodigy. yeah BTW Prodigy M http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/prodigy-m the micro ATX version :D

EDIT: I do also need to practise building PCs :D:D

I tried to build it my own on partpicker xD. This is how it gone out: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27z6l What do you think?

The gpu you picked is actually worse than the integrated graphics. From what you have described there is no reason to buy a gpu. The savings would be better spent on a bigger SSD or a faster cpu.

The case is 20% of the build which is really too much. Any chance another, less expensive white case would do?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

The gpu you picked is actually worse than the integrated graphics. From what you have described there is no reason to buy a gpu. The savings would be better spent on a bigger SSD or a faster cpu.

The case is 20% of the build which is really too much. Any chance another, less expensive white case would do?

I don't think the case can be changed... My aunt just loves it and doesn't want anything else from yesterday :( but if you say that the GPU is worse than the on-board graphics, what would you suggest to upgrade than? CPU? If yes for which one?

I don't think the case can be changed... My aunt just loves and doesn't want anything else from yesterday :( but if you say that the GPU is worse than the on-board graphics, what would you suggest to upgrade than? CPU? If yes for which one?

I don't know prices in your area of the world. My priorities would be a bigger SSD, then a faster cpu, ideally an i5-4430.

One thing to consider is doing away with the HDD entirely and going with a 128GB SDD. Unless your aunt is going to store HD video content in the system, this should actually be enough storage for her. (Regardless of doing this or not, external backup is a must.)

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I don't know prices in your area of the world. My priorities would be a bigger SSD, then a faster cpu, ideally an i5-4430.

One thing to consider is doing away with the HDD entirely and going with a 128GB SDD. Unless your aunt is going to store HD video content in the system, this should actually be enough storage for her. (Regardless of doing this or not, external backup is a must.)

I think the i5-4430 would actually kind of fit into the budget, with that it would be around 515 dollars in CZ. I will talk with her how much space does she need, cause I know that 1TB is a massive overkill for her, she has a 12+ year old PC right now with already once upgraded 160 GB harddrive, I think I could persuade her that she needs something like the 120GB SSD and external HDD about 250 GB, cause she would be totally fine with that. 

The prodigy m is itx while the regular one is micro atx

That's wrong, google it. The 'M' means M-ATX.

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

Here you go : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27F9J

For additional savings you can go for a 5600K APU instead & 4GB of memory instead of 8GB, but make sure you buy 2 modules, i.e. 2x2GB or 2x4GB to get the double data rate, otherwise the memory will run at half the speed.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27FZd

Here you go : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27F9J

For additional savings you can go for a 5600K APU instead & 4GB of memory instead of 8GB, but make sure you buy 2 modules, i.e. 2x2GB or 2x4GB to get the double data rate, otherwise the memory will run at half the speed.

Hmmm yes I do really like that.

If you don't want the GPU to be short on performance, go with an APU.

Try getting this parts, 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27GHL

8gb of ram, 120gb ssd, 1tb hdd, nice asus mobo, corsair 80+ bronze PSU, and of course, a Prodigy M (micro atx)

Yeah but there are some like combo sales and stuff :D I can get that in CZ for around 600+, but what about this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27I00 I know it looks over my budget, but actually I can get it for 520 dollars here.

That's great A10 6800k is a hell of a processor, the build would last a lot. You can even play games like crazy on that thing! Also 350w is more than you will need :) ! As long you don't put a Dedicated gpu in there.
I really don't think a 32gb SSD is of any use though, SSDs get slower the more full they are. With windows and some basic apps, it will be around 80% :(

That's great A10 6800k is a hell of a processor, the build would last a lot. You can even play games like crazy on that thing! Also 350w is more than you will need :) ! As long you don't put a Dedicated gpu in there.

I really don't think a 32gb SSD is of any use though, SSDs get slower the more full they are. With windows and some basic apps, it will be around 80% :(

I know that fact but a 60 GB Kingston SSD now V300 costs 70 dollars and I woulb be out of my budget with that :(. Do you think 60 GB would be enough?

Here you go!

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27OM4

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard  ($59.91 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($64.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 32GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($63.24 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card  ($84.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($35.97 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($19.49 @ Amazon) 
Total: $498.56
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

It has an ssd for the os and a 7750!

CPU Intel Core i7-3537U @ 3.1GHz  GPU NVIDIA GEFORCE 740M  RAM 4GB DDR3  Storage 500GB 5400 RPM  DISPLAY 1366 x 768 Laptop Display MOBO Laptop MOBO  CASE Laptop Case  PSU Laptop PSU  OS Windows 8.1 x64

Here you go!

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27OM4

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard  ($59.91 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($64.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 32GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($63.24 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card  ($84.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($35.97 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($19.49 @ Amazon) 
Total: $498.56
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

It has an ssd for for os and a 7750!

Have you read the first post? :3 It says that it is for my aunt that is really not gaming, and it needs to be housed in PRodigy M cause my aunt loves it xD