Thoughts about this components for Intel Core i7-7700K

After 20 years since setting up my home computer, it's time to assemble something new. But, it is not so simple, since there are currently the most varied components. Honestly, I'm not interested in having 4k support, meaning yes, a great computer for 1080, and with a budget of 2000 Euros, there are many components to choose from. I want to be able to overclocking both the processor and graphics card level, but I honestly do not want to buy more than one graphics card, and I do not care about SLI at all. Regarding the cooler, although for the purposes of overcloaking, the use of water cooling is recommended, I have read quite a few complaints in articles on the internet the problems with this type of cooling systems. So, even if the air cooler is large, it is safer.

I know that, effectively, a great computer for me, has to have 100% support for what I need, however, must also respect the things i don't need. But talking is easy with a lot of hardware choices in the market. So I tried to choose wisely and I came to these components:

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S Midi Tower Case OR COOLERMASTER MasterCase Pro 5
Power Supply: Corsair CSM Series 80 Plus Gold Power Supply Unit - 750 W
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270E Gaming Motherboard Socket 115
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K Unlocked Processor 8M Cache, up to 4.50 GHz, Quad-Core Kaby Lake
RAM: HyperX FURY 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz Memory Kit (2 x 8 GB) - Black (Skylake Ready)
Graphic Card: Placa Gráfica ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Expedition 8GB OC

SSD: SSD 2.5" Samsung 850 Evo 250GB TLC SATA
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA III 3.5

Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 612 Ver.2 OR be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler
Monitor: Asus MX279H 27-inch Widescreen AH-IPS
Keyboard and Mouse: Cooler Master Devastator Desktop Keyboard II

I have some doubts about some components:

• The 750W power supply its too much?
  • What do you think about the motherboard?
  • For the RAM, I choose the ones that have the maximum frequency that the processor supports.
  • The graphic card, well, with so many 1070 choices on the market, the specs of this one were fine, but i dont know if it is a good product compared with other 1070. What do you think?
  • What do you think about the coolers? They are good choices?

Can somebody share any ideas?

Thanks,

Paulo Nóbrega

Edited by Paulo Nobrega

2 minutes ago, Paulo Nobrega said:

After 20 years since setting up my home computer, it's time to assemble something new. But, it is not so simple, since there are currently the most varied components. Honestly, I'm not interested in having 4k support, meaning yes, a great computer for 1080, and with a budget of 2000 Euros, there are many components to choose from. I want to be able to overclocking both the processor and graphics card level, but I honestly do not want to buy more than one graphics card, and I do not care about SLI at all. Regarding the cooler, although for the purposes of overcloaking, the use of water cooling is recommended, I have read quite a few complaints in articles on the internet the problems with this type of cooling systems. So, even if the air cooler is large, it is safer.

I know that, effectively, a great computer for me, has to have 100% support for what I need, however, must also respect the things i don't need. But talking is easy with a lot of hardware choices in the market. So I tried to choose wisely and I came to these components:

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S Midi Tower Case OR COOLERMASTER MasterCase Pro 5
Power Supply: Corsair CSM Series 80 Plus Gold Power Supply Unit - 750 W
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270E Gaming Motherboard Socket 115
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K Unlocked Processor 8M Cache, up to 4.50 GHz, Quad-Core Kaby Lake
RAM: HyperX FURY 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz Memory Kit (2 x 8 GB) - Black (Skylake Ready)
Graphic Card: Placa Gráfica ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Expedition 8GB OC
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA III 3.5

Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 612 Ver.2 OR be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler
Monitor: Asus MX279H 27-inch Widescreen AH-IPS
Keyboard and Mouse: Cooler Master Devastator Desktop Keyboard II

I have some doubts about some components:

• The 750W power supply its too much?
  • What do you think about the motherboard?
  • For the RAM, I choose the ones that have the maximum frequency that the processor supports.

• The graphic card, well, with so many 1070 choices on the market, the specs of this one were fine, but i dont know if it is a good product compared with other 1070. What do you think?
  • What do you think about the coolers? They are good choices?

Can somebody share any ideas?

Thanks,

Paulo Nóbrega

dont get a i7 for starters get a r7 1700

750 watts would be fine, i'd suggest a better quality one though, EVGA G2/G3 or Corsair RMx

You can use higher than 2400mhz ram with XMP enabled, normally up to 3000/3200mhz

Thats a bit of a pricey motherboard imo, can get cheaper which will be just as good.

GPU should be fine.

Dark rock 3 would be the better cooler.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

What is it that you intend on doing with this computer? 750W is enough for SLI GTX 1070s with alot of headroom so it's safe to say that it's way more than you need. The lack of a SSD makes this build unattractive.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

What is it that you intend on doing with this computer? 750W is enough for SLI GTX 1070s with alot of headroom so it's safe to say that it's way more than you need. The lack of a SSD makes this build unattractive.

Sorry, forget to mention the SSD, i edited the post.

It has this SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB TLC SATA

I think the PSU is fine since you can use it for 6-7 years, so in future builds as well.

Also, I would spend an extra $20 and get a ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO instead of a Strix.

What country do you live in? So that I can make a parts list.

5 minutes ago, agobran said:

They said 1080p gaming, and only gaming. A 1700 would be 10% worse.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

5 minutes ago, agobran said:

Well yes, its also a dought that i have.

I have a version of this computer with:

Motherboard ASUS PRIME X370-PRO AM4
Processador AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Octa-Core 3.4GHz

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Led

The 1700x its a valid choice or the 1700 works just fine?

1 minute ago, Paulo Nobrega said:

Well yes, its also a dought that i have.

I have a version of this computer with:

Motherboard ASUS PRIME X370-PRO AM4
Processador AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Octa-Core 3.4GHz

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Led

The 1700x its a valid choice or the 1700 works just fine?

The R7 1700 can be overclocked to match or surpass the clocks of the R7 1700X. The CPU choice between Intel and AMD ultimately depends on what you plan on using this computer for, if you can kindly tell us.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, NerfThis said:

I think the PSU is fine since you can use it for 6-7 years, so in future builds as well.

Also, I would spend an extra $20 and get a ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO instead of a Strix.

Thanks for the advice.

34 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

750 watts would be fine, i'd suggest a better quality one though, EVGA G2/G3 or Corsair RMx

You can use higher than 2400mhz ram with XMP enabled, normally up to 3000/3200mhz

Thats a bit of a pricey motherboard imo, can get cheaper which will be just as good.

GPU should be fine.

Dark rock 3 would be the better cooler.

Thanks for the advice.

What motherboard its a good alternative? What do you thing about these one: Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z270F GAMING Kabylake - 189,99 Euros?

8 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

What country do you live in? So that I can make a parts list.

They said 1080p gaming, and only gaming. A 1700 would be 10% worse.

I live in Portugal, here the parts are a little expensive. I've thought of buying everything for amazon, but I'm afraid about warranties.

1 minute ago, Paulo Nobrega said:

I live in Portugal, here the parts are a little expensive. I've thought of buying everything for amazon, but I'm afraid about warranties.

So you wanna use Amazon Portugal? Or some other site?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

The R7 1700 can be overclocked to match or surpass the clocks of the R7 1700X. The CPU choice between Intel and AMD ultimately depends on what you plan on using this computer for, if you can kindly tell us.

Well, its for a good gaming and work machine without rendering and streaming. VM also.

Just now, Paulo Nobrega said:

Well, its for a good gaming and work machine without rendering and streaming. VM also.

VMs? Ryzen would be the way to go.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

So you wanna use Amazon Portugal? Or some other site?

Well the ideal was get all from amazon DE or ES. But im researching all from local sellers.

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

VMs? Ryzen would be the way to go.

Thanks for the advice.

Just now, cj09beira said:

https://www.kuantokusta.pt helps with the search for the best price.

Boas :-)

Boas :) Yes i know, but, because i live in Madeira Island, the prices are well expensive comparing the other mainland retail sellers. For example the www.pcdiga.com website have good prices, but the price of shipping its a lot. I intended to buy everithing ant worten, but there are some components they dont sell, not to mention the prices are a little more expensive. The good is the free shipping.

33 minutes ago, Paulo Nobrega said:

Well the ideal was get all from amazon DE or ES. But im researching all from local sellers.

Can I use other German retailers? :P 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler