Really high core CPU temps

Go to solution Solved by pyrojoe34,

Everyone here seems to be missing the point. Your water temp is 40C while your CPU temp is 80+C this means heat is not efficiently transferring to the block. The most likely reason is that you do not have a flush mount. You probably have uneven pressure on the block screws or too much/too little pressure. Take the block off, clean, and replace the paste. This time when you mount be very careful to mount it as evenly as possible and screw it in slowly in a diagonal pattern (screw one in until you just barely feel resistance, then the opposite one, then the other two, then go back around and thumb tighten them a little more in the same pattern just a quarter turn at a time, repeat until they are tight but don't overdo it).

If you're transferring heat efficiently the difference between water temperature and CPU temperature under stress load should be no more than 20-25C. So if the CPU is at 65C the water temp should be around 40-45C (just make sure you keep the water temp under 50C, I set my fans to rapidly ramp up starting at 45C (45%) and make them hit 90% at 50C which keeps the temps below 47C even after hours under load with my max CPU temp being 68-70C).

Hello,

I'm having some trouble figuring out why my CPU temps are so high. I recently got a Kraken X52, and when I'm running Prime95 on my 7700K@stock the temps get to 88C (I stopped the test after 5 minutes). The water temp is just fine though, so I don't see why it's getting this hot. It also gets up to 78/80 C when I'm playing BF1 for a while. Anyone know if I can do anything about this?

Pic of RealTemp and CAM:

7700k+X52.png

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

3 minutes ago, VortexS said:

-snip-

Did you recently change to the 7700K? It is a very hot chip and limited by quite a poor TIM application between the die and IHS. Delidding will probably help but will void the crap out of your warranty.

Prime95 can up your voltage regardless of what you set in the bios. so i do not recommend using that to test temps. aida64 with fpu on would be better.

is see the pump is running fine and the fan(s)

i would check if the block is mounted correctly on the cpu and maby replace the thermal paste.

the TIM is also bad on most 7700k's (thermal paste between the cpu die and the IHS)

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

Did you use Prime95 with AVX enabled? Also check your fan curve

17 minutes ago, For Science! said:

It is a very hot chip and limited by quite a poor TIM application between the die and IHS.

The TIM is fine but the application method isn't, but anyways, when running at stock, the CPU won't overheat because of bad TIM application

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The TIM is fine but the application method isn't, but anyways, when running at stock, the CPU won't overheat because of bad TIM application

And if you were to take Intel's definition of overheat, that would be 100 degrees celcius for the 7700K, so technically VortexS is well within "okay temperatures". Whether an user feels comfortable with that is another issue though =P

Just now, For Science! said:

And if you were to take Intel's definition of overheat, that would be 100 degrees celcius for the 7700K, so technically VortexS is well within "okay temperatures". Whether an user feels comfortable with that is another issue though =P

True, but at stock it won't run at 80C because of the TIM application. But in this picture the voltage is at 1.3V

21 minutes ago, VortexS said:

7700k+X52.png

Which makes me think that the OP is probably using Prime95 with AVX, which makes temps skyrocket :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

8 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Did you use Prime95 with AVX enabled? Also check your fan curve

I used the "Small FTTs" option, the first one.

7 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

True, but at stock it won't run at 80C because of the TIM application. But in this picture the voltage is at 1.3V

Which makes me think that the OP is probably using Prime95 with AVX, which makes temps skyrocket :D

That could probably be the reason, but why would they also get up to 75/80 when playing BF1 though?

Adjusting the fan curve doesn't really help, since the water is a good temp anyways. I tried setting the pump and fans to 100% speed and that decreased it only by about 2/3 degrees.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

1 minute ago, VortexS said:

I used the "Small FTTs" option, the first one.

That could probably be the reason, but why would they also get up to 75/80 when playing BF1 though?

Adjusting the fan curve doesn't really help, since the water is a good temp anyways. I tried setting the pump and fans to 100% speed and that decreased it only by about 2/3 degrees.

Did you use the stock NZXT thermal paste?

Are you seeing any instability as a result?

a friend was running a 5930k cooled by an x62 at high temps - trying to optimize for noise.... Turns out that the CPU didn't respond well to clocks changes and was unstable, once in the 70s it was fine.

21 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Did you use the stock NZXT thermal paste?

No, I'm using some Gelid GC Extreme, which should be pretty good.

1 minute ago, VortexS said:

No, I'm using some Gelid GC Extreme, which should be pretty good.

Yeah, check the thermal paste. Maybe, you don't have enough

Everyone here seems to be missing the point. Your water temp is 40C while your CPU temp is 80+C this means heat is not efficiently transferring to the block. The most likely reason is that you do not have a flush mount. You probably have uneven pressure on the block screws or too much/too little pressure. Take the block off, clean, and replace the paste. This time when you mount be very careful to mount it as evenly as possible and screw it in slowly in a diagonal pattern (screw one in until you just barely feel resistance, then the opposite one, then the other two, then go back around and thumb tighten them a little more in the same pattern just a quarter turn at a time, repeat until they are tight but don't overdo it).

If you're transferring heat efficiently the difference between water temperature and CPU temperature under stress load should be no more than 20-25C. So if the CPU is at 65C the water temp should be around 40-45C (just make sure you keep the water temp under 50C, I set my fans to rapidly ramp up starting at 45C (45%) and make them hit 90% at 50C which keeps the temps below 47C even after hours under load with my max CPU temp being 68-70C).

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

37 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

-snip-

assuming the heat transfer between the die and ihs is good. which is not the case in the 7700k.

15 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yeah, check the thermal paste. Maybe, you don't have enough

I'll check it.

14 hours ago, pyrojoe34 said:

I might've done it a bit too sloppy, I'll do what you said and let's hope it improves a bit. I'll mark it as solved for the time being.

13 hours ago, For Science! said:

assuming the heat transfer between the die and ihs is good. which is not the case in the 7700k.

But it shouldn't be this bad right? I see much lowe temps with simple air coolers from other people.

34 minutes ago, VortexS said:

-snip-

Ultimately your choice as to who's advice you take but. The 7700K chip seems to be uniquely a hot chip and I would only take on the stories of people who actually have them in their system.

You can take a look at the thread between another user and Intel who has exactly the same symptoms. Intel assures the frustrated owner that it is normal. https://communities.intel.com/thread/111141

a quick googling of "7700K hot water" brings even more situations of people experiencing large deltas between the core temperature and water temperature.

in my own system I have also observed similar thermals prior to delidding when I was using the H100i v2. After delidding the thermals improved to let me comfortably overclock, but still the temperature delta  with the water can be 40 degrees under load (on the other hand at idle the delta is as low as 3-5 degr3es). honestly I think your mount is fine and you are just experiencing the wrath of the 7700K.

2 hours ago, For Science! said:

Ultimately your choice as to who's advice you take but. The 7700K chip seems to be uniquely a hot chip and I would only take on the stories of people who actually have them in their system.

You can take a look at the thread between another user and Intel who has exactly the same symptoms. Intel assures the frustrated owner that it is normal. https://communities.intel.com/thread/111141

a quick googling of "7700K hot water" brings even more situations of people experiencing large deltas between the core temperature and water temperature.

in my own system I have also observed similar thermals prior to delidding when I was using the H100i v2. After delidding the thermals improved to let me comfortably overclock, but still the temperature delta  with the water can be 40 degrees under load (on the other hand at idle the delta is as low as 3-5 degr3es). honestly I think your mount is fine and you are just experiencing the wrath of the 7700K.

Well that sucks. I'll reapply the thermal paste because I need to move the radiator anyway but that intel thread makes me think it won't help much. Thanks for the help!