Ryzen 5 Ram Frequency

What is the best ram for Ryzen?

What is the highest frequency compatible with Ryzen (R5 1600 is what I plan to get)?

Is paying £10 more for 3000Mhz over 2666Mhz worth it?

2666Mhz:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/J27CmG/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2a2666c16

3000Mhz: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/MYH48d/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15

find the motherboard you want and check the QVL. then cross-check whether it has samsung or hynix die (the former is a bit better) 

45 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

find the motherboard you want and check the QVL. then cross-check whether it has samsung or hynix die (the former is a bit better) 

Ok, what is QVL sorry?

The motherboard I'm looking at is as listed below...

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/fPDzK8/asus-prime-b350-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-prime-b350-plus

2 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Ok, what is QVL sorry?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/fPDzK8/asus-prime-b350-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-prime-b350-plus

it's a list of RAM the manufacturer has tested. this way you can find RAM that works for your mobo

you can usually find it in the manufacturer page. 

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B350-PLUS/

1 minute ago, lukesterboy said:

Ok, what is QVL sorry?

Qualified Vendors List. I am actually working with the very board you picked out. Sadly, ASUS's website is disorganized at the moment for this board, so finding the QVL list is tedious. It's actually located under their "Drivers and Tools" tab: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B350-PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

The specific link is here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_B350-PLUS/PRIME_B350-PLUS_Memory_QVL_20170522.pdf?_ga=2.190198763.1938710365.1497638116-845518964.1482891550

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

58 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

What is the best ram for Ryzen?

What is the highest frequency compatible with Ryzen (R5 1600 is what I plan to get)?

Is paying £10 more for 3000Mhz over 2666Mhz worth it?

2666Mhz:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/J27CmG/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2a2666c16

3000Mhz: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/MYH48d/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15

Ryzen really likes high speeds on the ram for it's infinity fabric speeds but currently the sweet spot seems to be around 3000-3200 Mhz.

I'm not sure wether the memory dies really have an impact anymore since AGESA 1.0.0.6 it seems that only the dual rank kits still struggle.

18 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

it's a list of RAM the manufacturer has tested. this way you can find RAM that works for your mobo

you can usually find it in the manufacturer page. 

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B350-PLUS/

Oh ok thanks.

17 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Qualified Vendors List. I am actually working with the very board you picked out. Sadly, ASUS's website is disorganized at the moment for this board, so finding the QVL list is tedious. It's actually located under their "Drivers and Tools" tab: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B350-PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

The specific link is here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_B350-PLUS/PRIME_B350-PLUS_Memory_QVL_20170522.pdf?_ga=2.190198763.1938710365.1497638116-845518964.1482891550

Ok, I managed to find it, thanks for the link anyway. You are working with the board? As in testing it for ASUS?

11 minutes ago, cymbalist said:

Ryzen really likes high speeds on the ram for it's infinity fabric speeds but currently the sweet spot seems to be around 3000-3200 Mhz.

I'm not sure wether the memory dies really have an impact anymore since AGESA 1.0.0.6 it seems that only the dual rank kits still struggle.

Ah ok. I was just going over the QVL list and any high kits seem to be limited to 2133 due to the limit of Ryzen. Will this change with updates, making it worth buying high frequency ram already?

@lukesterboyOk decided to have a look at the Qvl list for your board which surprised me a lot as it seems asus has a lot more issues with the higher speeds ( unless it's way out of date). There are a few kits that can run 3000-3200 with docp.

The worst that can happen with a higher speed kit is that you temporary can't use it's full potential untill asus gets stuff working.

23 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Ok, I managed to find it, thanks for the link anyway. You are working with the board? As in testing it for ASUS?

No, I am manually overclocking on this motherboard for a friend. The system isn't mine, but I was tasked with making 2133 Micron memory work at 3066mhz with a manual overclock. So far, I have it working at 3066 C16-18-18-18-36, but tertiary timings on Ryzen seem to follow an inverse ratio. This is something that is opposite of Intel, and goes against everything I know. I am currently working on tightening timings to fix the abysmal latency. 

I hope everything goes well for you, and that you can find a kit that works with the board. I've heard that the Ryzen X CPU's have better luck with higher memory speeds, so do keep that in mind if you intend to buy a higher speed memory kit. 

11 hours ago, cymbalist said:

@lukesterboyOk decided to have a look at the Qvl list for your board which surprised me a lot as it seems asus has a lot more issues with the higher speeds ( unless it's way out of date). There are a few kits that can run 3000-3200 with docp.

The worst that can happen with a higher speed kit is that you temporary can't use it's full potential untill asus gets stuff working.

What is DOCP? And yes the QVL is weird, lots of ram seems to be clocked very low.

10 hours ago, MageTank said:

No, I am manually overclocking on this motherboard for a friend. The system isn't mine, but I was tasked with making 2133 Micron memory work at 3066mhz with a manual overclock. So far, I have it working at 3066 C16-18-18-18-36, but tertiary timings on Ryzen seem to follow an inverse ratio. This is something that is opposite of Intel, and goes against everything I know. I am currently working on tightening timings to fix the abysmal latency. 

I hope everything goes well for you, and that you can find a kit that works with the board. I've heard that the Ryzen X CPU's have better luck with higher memory speeds, so do keep that in mind if you intend to buy a higher speed memory kit. 

Ah ok, I see. I know nothing about ram timings or what they mean, haha.

Yeh I did here about that actually. Ryzen X CPUs being better with higher ram. But I need to debate wether spending the extra money on the Ryzen CPU + cooler + faster ram is worth the performance boost it is going to give me.

@lukesterboy DOCP is asus' implementation to use intel's xmp profiles on amd systems. Pretty much selecting that will setup the sticks for the speeds they are rated for.

On 6/17/2017 at 10:41 AM, MageTank said:

I've heard that the Ryzen X CPU's have better luck with higher memory speeds

It seems like a logical assumption, although I haven't seen any hard evidence on that. Not sure if anyone has studied enough CPU's to compile stats on memory speed limitations excluding the motherboard BIOS limited results. AMD don't support the CPU's running RAM above 2666, so a weak IMC may not show in AMD's binning process.

I have read reports of some X CPU's being limited to 2666 or 2933 MHz (on boards with BIOS rated for the RAM above that) while I have no problems running my 1700 with RAM at 3200 cl14, it is still down to the silicon lottery.

33 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

It seems like a logical assumption, although I haven't seen any hard evidence on that. Not sure if anyone has studied enough CPU's to compile stats on memory speed limitations excluding the motherboard BIOS limited results. AMD don't support the CPU's running RAM above 2666, so a weak IMC may not show in AMD's binning process.

I have read reports of some X CPU's being limited to 2666 or 2933 MHz (on boards with BIOS rated for the RAM above that) while I have no problems running my 1700 with RAM at 3200 cl14, it is still down to the silicon lottery.

I have yet to see any hard evidence as well, but G Skill claimed it to be true during one of their panels, and they have far more access to both ram and other hardware that I do not. 

Credit to @PCGuy_5960 for bringing this video to my attention.

In my own personal tests with the Ryzen 1600 (non-X) I'd say it's not going to be limited in raw throughput by it's IMC, as much as it will be limited by the board trace topology and memory IC's themselves. However, it's IMC does not get off squeaky clean either, as it's abysmal latency is certainly a fault of the IMC itself. I have been unable to remedy it, but that's not for a lack of trying. Something is going on under the hood that we cannot control, even with the memory registers afforded to us by AGESA 1.0.0.6. I'll try to keep everyone in the loop once I figure it out, either via personal status updates, or updates to my memory overclocking guide.

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

G Skill claimed it to be true

While their claim may be correct, I don't trust G.Skill.

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

However, it's IMC does not get off squeaky clean either, as it's abysmal latency is certainly a fault of the IMC itself. I have been unable to remedy it

If you can't figure it out, the contingency is hoping for a better IMC in their next generation.

48 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

While their claim may be correct, I don't trust G.Skill.

If you can't figure it out, the contingency is hoping for a better IMC in their next generation.

Well, I am about to throw some real ram at it. Will be taking my home kit (3600 C14-14-14-28-2) to my buddies house to test that Ryzen rig again. I'll certainly be able to rule out mediocre ram. If I can't run my ram anywhere near that, then it's either the board, or IMC. 

Just now, MageTank said:

Well, I am about to throw some real ram at it. Will be taking my home kit (3600 C14-14-14-28-2) to my buddies house to test that Ryzen rig again. I'll certainly be able to rule out mediocre ram. If I can't run my ram anywhere near that, then it's either the board, or IMC. 

Do you expect the RAM to run at the same speed you're running it at now? because I don't think anyone expects Ryzen compatibility with RAM to be as good as intel's 100 platform. - hopefully it can be close though.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Do you expect the RAM to run at the same speed you're running it at now? because I don't think anyone expects Ryzen compatibility with RAM to be as good as intel's 100 platform. - hopefully it can be close though.

I don't, considering the board is a cheap B350 board, but I'll do everything in my power to get it close.

48 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I don't, considering the board is a cheap B350 board, but I'll do everything in my power to get it close.

Does the board matter at all for ram compatibility? I've heard that the B350 chipset works better than the X370 for RAM compatibility, but IDK if that's true. can the chipset change RAM compatibility.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Does the board matter at all for ram compatibility? I've heard that the B350 chipset works better than the X370 for RAM compatibility, but IDK if that's true. can the chipset change RAM compatibility.

The chipset itself can, as we've seen on Intel's H platforms when compared to Z platforms, but that does not seem to be the case for AMD. What impacts memory the most in regards to motherboards, is trace topology. The longer it takes to complete the signal, the worse it is. The more impedance, the worse it gets. Trace topology plays a pretty significant role, which is why you have boards rated for different speeds in the first place.