Help me with this upgrade decision!

Volcan300
Go to solution Solved by Volcan300,
1 minute ago, dude49 said:

This is less about the "timing" of when you get the added performance, and more about the impact and extent of your next upgrade.
Instead of making incremental upgrades to a very, very old system, I would save each and every cent towards getting a new motherboard, cpu and ram. Why put money into a system that is not going to be in use after 6-12 months? Instead of stuffing perfomance holes in a system that is nearing its limit and bottlenecking your experience, save every penny towards an upgrade that can easily handle present day gaming loads. Even those 40$ that you want to spend for "new" old ram is money that could, at the time of your upgrade in a few months make the difference between 8 and 16 gigs of ram.  Just my opinion though, I don't easily spend money that I worked hard to save up, if it only gives me a short term improvement. ;) Patience. :)

That was more than enough for me to take my decision, thanks dude, i'll definitely keep this system until i build a DDR4 system. C:

Hi guys, i'll start saying that i'm Brazilian, so my english isn't very good, but anyway. Here goes my current (gaming intended) build:

- C3 Tech 430W PSU (It's good, actually)
- ECS G31T-M7 7.0 (DDR2 - LGA 775)
- 3Gb of DDR2 667Mhz (1x2Gb & 1x1Gb)
- LGA 775 Modded Xeon X5460 3,16Ghz (OC'd to 3,8Ghz)
- Galax GTX 1060 3 Gb
- 1080p Monitor

So, you may be thinking that this build is really old, and i sure agree with you, but since here in Brazil PC hardware prices are up on the clouds, this is what i have at the moment, and it performs really well for the investment. 
The reason i've come here, is the fact that i've met a wall in this hardware performance when i tried to play Battlegrounds, not being able to pass the match loading screen due to RAM capacity and performance, i guess. This build is surely underrated, since i can play DayZ on MAX settings at 1080p with 40-70FPS, or BF3 Ultra 1080p 90-130FPS on SP, so it isn't that weak, but i've noticed that even though these games run well in frames, they stutter every second and then, and some in specific cases, like when turning my view to unrendered areas or coming to unloaded scenarios, making me pretty sure it's a RAM problem, since GPU and CPU almost never get on the 100% use mark.

So, i've been asking myself, how to solve this, since it's a old build and my Mobo have 2 DIMM's slots only, and DDR2 sticks are limited to 2Gb each on Intel systems, which leave me on 2 main choices:

-> Buying 2x2Gb 800Mhz RAM for a improved performance (40U$ equivalent), and save money for a DDR4 build in 6 months (700~800U$ equivalent)
-> Buy a DDR3 LGA 775 Mobo and use 8Gb of RAM to solve the problem now, and keep the system for 1 year or more (200U$ equivalent)

Keep in mind that this is more a time focused choice, than budget limited! Help me out!

Thanks for your attention! C:

2 minutes ago, dude49 said:

Save money for a DDR4 build! Definitely!

Why do you think this is the better choice? I could get "instant" performance buying the DDR3 System. Why is worth the wait?
Thanks for the attention C:

9 minutes ago, Volcan300 said:

Why do you think this is the better choice? I could get "instant" performance buying the DDR3 System. Why is worth the wait?
Thanks for the attention C:

This is less about the "timing" of when you get the added performance, and more about the impact and extent of your next upgrade.
Instead of making incremental upgrades to a very, very old system, I would save each and every cent towards getting a new motherboard, cpu and ram. Why put money into a system that is not going to be in use after 6-12 months? Instead of stuffing perfomance holes in a system that is nearing its limit and bottlenecking your experience, save every penny towards an upgrade that can easily handle present day gaming loads. Even those 40$ that you want to spend for "new" old ram is money that could, at the time of your upgrade in a few months make the difference between 8 and 16 gigs of ram.  Just my opinion though, I don't easily spend money that I worked hard to save up, if it only gives me a short term improvement. ;) Patience. :)

1 minute ago, dude49 said:

That was more than enough for me to take my decision, thanks dude, i'll definitely keep this system until i build a DDR4 system. C: