what do mosphets do?

Overclocked_Bacon

deliver power

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

They are transistors for changing the voltage of electric current, IIRC.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Sadly both of Wikipedia's articles on this (MOSFET, Power MOSFET) are very technical

and not at all helpful when it comes to their application in the power delivery systems

of M/B's.

I don't have time at the moment for a full rundown, but digging a bit I have

found these links which might be helpful:

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

MOSFET(metal oxide semiconductur field effect transistor) is a type of transistor- basically a semiconductor switch(not always used as a switch!)-, that works by the means of making a conductive channel due to a electric field betweeen source and drain when sufficient voltage is present on its gate. In computers, you will often see them marketed in different power regulation and delivery circuits, even though most integrated circuits are based on different permutations of the basic MOSFET design. 

I hope this is helpful to you. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

OK, I've had a bit of time for reading up, so here's a very short and simplified version

of what I've been able to find out about this (note: I am not by any means an expert,

so if somebody spots an error feel free to point that out):

Most components on a M/B require different voltages than the PSU provides. For example,

a modern desktop CPU will need something between 1~1.5 V (usually), whereas the

main power source from the PSU for CPUs are the 8 pin EPS plugs (and their smaller

4 pin versions), which deliver +12 V relative to ground.

So basically you need a DC-DC converter to convert those 12 V to the required voltages

that can then be used to power your components (CPU, RAM, IO hub, USB and SATA

controllers, sound chips etc.), a.k.a. a switched-mode power supply.

These DC-DC converters are often called VRM (voltage regulator modules). The MOSFETS

are simply one part of these VRMs, with the other main components being PWM controllers,

chokes and a few other things.

The MOSFETs' purpose within those VRMs is to let the actual current through based on

whether or not they're switched on or off. As far as I understand things, the PWM controller

is used to control the switching frequency and duty cycle (so, how frequently are the

MOSFETs open and for how long), and this, in combination with the rest of the VRM ciruitry,

gets you the desired DC voltage you can then pass on to the CPU or whatever else you wish

to power with it.

How precisely all of this goes together is, to be perfectly honest, not something I understand

in full detail though, but I think this is very roughly how it works.

I can highly recommend the hardwaresecrets article I linked above, it should also give

you a bit more insight, especially on how power phases relate to this and a few of the

components I haven't mentioned in this post.

Also, here are a few links I came across when reading up on this, maybe some of them

might be of interest to you as well:

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

-helpful text-

Might as well use a highly detailed textbook for a university course in electronics: Donald A. Neamen: Microelectronics, it is avaliable in PDF form.

Also, allaboutcircuits is really useful with a ton of useful links to things like video lectures and more resources: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_2/10.html

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Might as well use a highly detailed textbook for a university course in electronics: Donald A. Neamen: Microelectronics, it is avaliable in PDF form.

Also, allaboutcircuits is really useful with a ton of useful links to things like video lectures and more resources: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_2/10.html

Will look into that, thanks!

I'm actually studying to be an electrical engineer, but unfortunately I'm not far

enough yet to fully understand the subject of this thread, I've just gotten a glimpse

of parts of it. Ah well, some day... :)

EDIT:

Also, thanks to the mod who cleaned up this thread (@Glenwing, possibly?). :)

Well basically everyone in the thread has answered the question. I am also going to school for EET. So i'll give my little 2 cents on it. A MOSFET is a type of transistor that does not have the traditional base, common, and emitter junctions. It has drain, source, and gain junctions. When we used them in the lab, we just used them so we can see a 0v on the gate junction because that will happen if you do not have a DC PSU connected to that junction.

Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E Processor - Intel i7 930 Bloomfield OC'd @ 4.01Ghz, 1.28v | RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-12, 1600mhz | Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX660 SC 3GB @ +75mhz core, +500mhz mem | Power Supply - Seasonic X650 Gold

CPU Cooler, Fans - Corsair H-90 w/ Noctua FN14 push/pull, Gelid Wings UV Blue  | Case - Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 |

MOSFET(metal oxide semiconductur field effect transistor) is a type of transistor- basically a semiconductor switch(not always used as a switch!)-, that works by the means of making a conductive channel due to a electric field betweeen source and drain when sufficient voltage is present on its gate. In computers, you will often see them marketed in different power regulation and delivery circuits, even though most integrated circuits are based on different permutations of the basic MOSFET design.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Omg if only i had read this yesterday i could have written this in my exam !!!!!!

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.