PC Gore thread/it just werks™

Keg Ops

LMAO...You guys just made me laugh so hard I spewed tea out my nose all over my keyboard. "Cleanup on aisle 6" xD There's nothing that duct tape and a little flat black barbecue paint can't fix.

Best Excuses:

#1(simple) "Well, I never liked that stupid thing anyway!"

#2(complex) "Obviously there was a flaw in the material, probably due to the inadvertent introduction of contaminants during the manufacturing process."

Don't have pics but my cuz had this old POS, it was a case with no coverings, so it was just the frame with everything removed. He had like a GeForce FX 5600, and a dual core AMD athlon 2400 and 2 1GB DDR2 sticks which were a wopping 300Mhz each.

Case had no power button so he just nicked one off a mobil toy for kids.

Somehow managed to play games at 30FPS lol

clicked on this expecting something ... totally different...

*Awkwardly sprints to the door*

Im in the progress of making a 12-36v input "atx" psu for as little as possible, because the picopsus dont regulate the 12v line and a powerful enough buck converters cost a lot, and you still need the pico. So i decided to use 3 separate ones instead! What could possibly go wrong...

I dont have the proper connectors yet (ebay shipping) so i cut up a crappy 24-pin extension and tried to jump it with another psu supplying the cpu power :D

Cpu fan spins and lights turn on but no post. No casualties, yet.
Typing this from the pc i tested the supply on, currently running on the original hp supply.

Spoiler

IMG_4495.thumb.JPG.7fe05e6a4b750c94083a0754c4e6142c.JPG

Pc specs:
Athlon II X4 640, 8gb of samsung hp branded ram, asrock mobo.

IMG_4496.thumb.JPG.afcf70b61eb384bb4b7b901e514a1b21.JPG

Psu gets switched on by a "30 amp" relay on the input side of the buck converters. Power good is a capacitor with a resistor type of arrangement. (should get some comparators for the pcs sake though)

IMG_4497.thumb.JPG.9d20c392f03dccddc26238e475a360d1.JPG

It is safe to use  xD 

I will test it again with the proper connectors and if it is stable enough the components will be transferred to a standard atx psu housing for maximum compatibility. Which will make it less sketchier i hope.

• 3 months later...

Update on my main rig:

I bought an office pc a while back for a good deal and turned it into a gaming pc. However, one of the drawbacks of it was that it had no front ventilation. This concerned me because of the fact that I'm about to put a 1080 in it, and I wanted to avoid thermal throttling (or at least limit it.) So, I got to work. 

I started by drilling a hole into the front panel and taking a saw to cut out a spot for the fan (there were no mounts, the front was completely solid.) Once I got the hole in, I drilled 4 small holes around the opening for the zip ties to hold the fan in. I attached them and cut off the access length, and then I used Gorilla tape to make sure that there wasn't any gaps around the fan. 

I don't think anyone is gonna believe that there's a 1080 in there, so dare I call it a sleeper build? I guess the good thing is if someone breaks into my house they won't expect it to be any good. 

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

PC Wars-Budget edition, anyone? :P:P 

(yes, i am referring to Ed's series)

Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U *insert firetruck picture* :) 

1 hour ago, Keg Ops said:

Update on my main rig:

I bought an office pc a while back for a good deal and turned it into a gaming pc. However, one of the drawbacks of it was that it had no front ventilation. This concerned me because of the fact that I'm about to put a 1080 in it, and I wanted to avoid thermal throttling (or at least limit it.) So, I got to work. 

I started by drilling a hole into the front panel and taking a saw to cut out a spot for the fan (there were no mounts, the front was completely solid.) Once I got the hole in, I drilled 4 small holes around the opening for the zip ties to hold the fan in. I attached them and cut off the access length, and then I used Gorilla tape to make sure that there wasn't any gaps around the fan. 

I don't think anyone is gonna believe that there's a 1080 in there, so dare I call it a sleeper build? I guess the good thing is if someone breaks into my house they won't expect it to be any good. 

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

Don’t worry, that apple sticker makes it worth 1,000,000,000

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

15 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

Don’t worry, that apple sticker makes it worth 1,000,000,000

Right?

Funny enough I put it on right before I tore that hole open. After I put it on I thought "well I might as well add more style to it." The butterfly affect is really amusing.

Spoiler

BE72781C-80EC-4AE0-BCEF-B950EAC8DD41.thumb.jpeg.4722852bea9caa9cc644cdeeabdaad45.jpeg

The power switch kept going inside the front of the case so I had to do this

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler