Noise to performance of AIO vs air cooling

Javiek

Currently I am running my r5 1600 on the wraith spire cooler with an overclock of 3.79 on 1.31 volts under max load it climbs to upwards of 85 c in my corsair carbide 400c.  I want to upgrade the cooling solutions and am currently considering the nh-d15 and the h100i v2 from corsair. How do they hold up to each other in performance and noise?

that temperature is fine, and the top chips of ryzen only overclock to about 4.25ghz

moving on ...

the nh-d15 is quieter and probably will last longer than the h100i, because there is no pump to break down and noctua fans are great (ive heard..) at being silent and performing good.

the h100i will perform a tiny bit better in terms of cooling down your CPU however against the DH-15

whichever cooler you get, make sure it comes with a AM4 bracket.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

AOI's usually last somewhere between 2-3 years before issues start rising - noise, breakage, leak and etc.

Air never breaks, except for the fans which noctua got you covered for 6 years in warranty.

Temp wise they are about the same, 1-2c difference but the noctua is way quieter than the AOI.

33 minutes ago, Javiek said:

Currently I am running my r5 1600 on the wraith spire cooler with an overclock of 3.79 on 1.31 volts under max load it climbs to upwards of 85 c in my corsair carbide 400c.  I want to upgrade the cooling solutions and am currently considering the nh-d15 and the h100i v2 from corsair. How do they hold up to each other in performance and noise?

everyone always says "pump noise makes AIO's louder".... but any half decent AIO will come with minimal pump noise. I'm currently sitting next to my Define S which has a H100i V2 in it, and the pump is completely inaudible (not just quiet).

Between DH-15 and H100i V2, H100i V2 is the better performer (only slightly), but the SP120L stock fans are kinda garbage (can be hit and miss, but a lot of them rattle). why does it have to be between those two only though? DH-15 is a great cooler, but it ugly AF.... why not do something like a BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3? it has performance, silence, AND looks! a decent 240mm AIO is still going to be marginally better, but the potential gains aren't as huge as the manufacturers would have you believe.

I also like the Cryorig R1 Universal/Ultimate if none of these suit your fancy.

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Between DH-15 and H100i V2, H100i V2 is the better performer, but the SP120L stock fans are kinda garbage (can be hit and miss, but a lot of them rattle). why does it have to be between those two only though? DH-15 is a great cooler, but it ugly AF.... why not do something like a BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3? it has performance, silence, AND looks! a decent 240mm AIO is still going to be better, but the potential gains aren't as huge as the manufacturers would have you believe.

The dark rock pro 3 sure is a nice looking cooler but the amount of complaints of how horrible it is to install makes me hesitate on that one.

I did look up some comparisons between coolers but what sucks about that is that they teset at 100% load and idle which are fine but i dont know that my cpu will ever be at 100% load in a real world use case.  As long as I knew that in gaming scenarios it would not sounds like a jet engine.

As far as the cryorig r1 goes that is a 110 cooler which would put it at the same price as the h100i v2.

Just now, Javiek said:

I did look up some comparisons between coolers but what sucks about that is that they teset at 100% load and idle

idle numbers are dumb... they contribute no real useful information. 100% load tests are the only good and proper way to test a cooler against another though, so that's good.

1 minute ago, Javiek said:

As far as the cryorig r1 goes that is a 110 cooler which would put it at the same price as the h100i v2.

then don't buy it. twas just a suggestion. Also, not sure where you live, but its currently $90 USD on pcpartpicker which makes it competative against other similar top tier coolers

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xFw323/cryorig-cpu-cooler-crr1a

4 minutes ago, Javiek said:

The dark rock pro 3 sure is a nice looking cooler but the amount of complaints of how horrible it is to install makes me hesitate on that one

well... don't hesitate because of that. you only have to install it once :P

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

well... don't hesitate because of that. you only have to install it once :P

That is a fair point, and thanks for the hook up I did not see that the cryorig was a bit cheaper than i realized.

24 minutes ago, Javiek said:

That is a fair point, and thanks for the hook up I did not see that the cryorig was a bit cheaper than i realized.

Yeah, i'm not saying you HAVE to go BeQuiet! or Cryorig or anything like that... I'm just saying you have options :D

I for one was so curious that i just ordered a Scythe Mugen 5 (don't know if you have those in Canada) to test against my Corsair H80iGT. It mounts similar to Noctuas and is supposed to be quite good. I really think people underestimate the hassle with the hoses with AiO. The ones on the Corsair are so stiff, i don't think the good air coolers are much more difficult to install. Back on topic, the Noctua is an awesome beast, but also slightly overkill for a 1600, i think. Any good 120mm Air cooler will probably give much better thermals and noise than the Spire can. The Arctic Freezer i33 for example comes with AM4 mounting hardware https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B06WV898Y1/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all&qid=1497562378&sr=8-17 and saves you a pretty penny.

On 6/15/2017 at 1:10 PM, Zyndo said:

everyone always says "pump noise makes AIO's louder".... but any half decent AIO will come with minimal pump noise. I'm currently sitting next to my Define S which has a H100i V2 in it, and the pump is completely inaudible (not just quiet).

I hear the pump noise from the h100i v2 just fine when used in a system with quiet fans. 

If looks aren't an issue, the NH-D15 is the better choice overall. It's easier to install, quieter, performs almost as well, and is more reliable with better warranty.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

45 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

I hear the pump noise from the h100i v2 just fine when used in a system with quiet fans

if there IS noise coming from it, its making less noise than a GP-14 fan running at 60%.... which is effectively a dead quiet fan. either I've got the best pump ever to come off the line, or you've never actually used a H100i V2. because I promise you, i just turned off all my fans (except the one my system wouldn't for some reason, fractal GP-14 running at 60%), stuck my head inside the case and put my ear as close to the pump as possible, and the front intake fan was still making more noise than my pump was... sooo yeah....

I've used a Thermaltake water 2.0 (240mm radiator) as well and it has some pretty atrocious pump noise. definitely very noticeable, and quite a bit louder than any fan in the system (similar to a sub-premium GPU overclocked under high load)... but that doesn't mean every pump on the market is like that.

26 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

if there IS noise coming from it, its making less noise than a GP-14 fan running at 60%.... which is effectively a dead quiet fan. either I've got the best pump ever to come off the line, or you've never actually used a H100i V2. because I promise you, i just turned off all my fans (except the one my system wouldn't for some reason, fractal GP-14 running at 60%), stuck my head inside the case and put my ear as close to the pump as possible, and the front intake fan was still making more noise than my pump was... sooo yeah....

I don't find GP-14's at 60% that quiet. I've got a drawer full of them along with other fans and I've had experience with H100i v2's from other PC's. The first that comes to mind is one from a system that used LTT NF-F12's.

What's considered loud or quiet depends on the listener. There are plenty of fans quieter than the H100i v2's pump.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I don't find GP-14's at 60% that quiet. I've got a drawer full of them along with other fans and I've had experience with H100i v2's from other PC's. The first that comes to mind is one from a system that used LTT NF-F12's.

What's considered loud or quiet depends on the listener. There are plenty of fans quieter than the H100i v2's pump.

smh