GTX 1060 and GTX 950 at the same time

can I have both my new and old graphics card used not in SLI or crossfire just haveing the GTX1060 plugged into my main monitor and the GTX950 plugged into my secondary monitor?

tried doing this but it doesn't get past the Aorus logo when I turn it on. Help, please.

I have never done any SLI myself but from what I know you have to use two of the same cards.

Nevermind, realized the topic said not in SLI.

I didn't know you could do this. I just upgraded from a R9 270X to a GTX 1060. Can I run both cards, one for my gaming monitor and one for my secondary? How will this effect performance?

Edited by TriGaar

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

NO reason to keep the old gpu in, just sell it, won't help performance at all.

Actually, rendering a 1080p screen on the side while gaming will hit the gaming performance.  A 950 is the perfect card for this use case.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

You can use them together, just not for SLI. You would probably need the monitors to all be connected to the main GPU(1060).

Just now, Damascus said:

Actually, rendering a 1080p screen on the side while gaming will hit the gaming performance.  A 950 is the perfect card for this use case.

Not really, I might lose a frame or two having two monitors up rather than one on my 950.

Just now, Damascus said:

not much though, i do this. Its less than 5% normally.

2 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

You can use them together, just not for SLI. You would probably need the monitors to all be connected to the main GPU(1060).

What benefit would running the two cards give in that case?

Just now, TriGaar said:

DX12 games and autocad

Just now, TriGaar said:

PhysX, Mining, F@H

15 minutes ago, TriGaar said:

I have never done any SLI myself but from what I know you have to use two of the same cards.

Nevermind, realized the topic said not in SLI.

I didn't know you could do this. I just upgraded from a R9 270X to a GTX 1060. Can I run both cards, one for my gaming monitor and one for my secondary? How will this effect performance?

You can but you'd need both drivers.  It has been done but be warned it might be messy :P 

14 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Perhaps but how much?  I can't imagine it being even 1 fps... do you have benchmarks to prove how big the impact is?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Perhaps but how much?  I can't imagine it being even 1 fps... do you have benchmarks to prove how big the impact is?

From personal experience it was 10% per screen

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

From personal experience it was 10% per screen

Interesting... I need to try this myself.  I suppose it would vary by card and by game (and settings, etc.) but I wonder if my secondary 1280 x 1024 makes any measurable impact... ?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

1280 x 1024

Maybe?  I'm talking about 3 1920*1080p displays running on a 770

now upon hearing it can be done, how do I do it? when I have both in there it just gets stuck on the aorus boot screen what do I do?

5 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Maybe?  I'm talking about 3 1920*1080p displays running on a 770

alright, well if it's 10% per screen, with my more powerful Fury and only about 63% as many pixels to drive, it won't likely be more than a few % but it should still be measurable

Update: So I ran Heaven and paused on a scene, then compared the fps with both monitors on and just one, and they were both 62, so if there is an impact it's definitely less than 1 fps for my situation.  But, of course your mileage may vary with other hardware.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

6 minutes ago, Kodi4444 said:

now upon hearing it can be done, how do I do it? when I have both in there it just gets stuck on the aorus boot screen what do I do?

That is very strange, are you sure both are installed correctly, with any necessary power connectors connected?

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

That is very strange, are you sure both are installed correctly, with any necessary power connectors connected?

yes, it's installed correctly with the correct power connector. I have a GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 Gaming Motherboard LGA1151 Intel Z270 2-Way SLI ATX DDR4 Motherboard if that helps.

1 minute ago, Kodi4444 said:

yes, it's installed correctly with the correct power connector. I have a GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 Gaming Motherboard LGA1151 Intel Z270 2-Way SLI ATX DDR4 Motherboard if that helps.

And I assume it boots correctly with either card installed alone... in the primary slot that is.  But, do they work in the secondary slot you've plugged the second GPU into?  Just trying to rule out everything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

could it be that I put it in the wrong PCIe slot?

because I have a couple PCIe slots

5 minutes ago, Kodi4444 said:

could it be that I put it in the wrong PCIe slot?

because I have a couple PCIe slots

They should all work, unless something is defective.  Some will be faster than others though.

no one has any idea why it's not working? I don't know how to troubleshoot it. well, i have a semi-modular power supply could it be because I plugged in the wrong power connector in the wrong slot? I was under the impression that these power connectors were designed so that you couldn't accidentally plug the wrong thing in the wrong way. I thought if it fits it will work. am I correct?

2 hours ago, Kodi4444 said:

no one has any idea why it's not working? I don't know how to troubleshoot it. well, i have a semi-modular power supply could it be because I plugged in the wrong power connector in the wrong slot? I was under the impression that these power connectors were designed so that you couldn't accidentally plug the wrong thing in the wrong way. I thought if it fits it will work. am I correct?

In theory they should be designed like that, but just in case, you can check that the ports on the PSU you've plugged the GPU power connectors into say either PCIe or perhaps VGA.  If you plug them into the ones designed for sata, molex, or CPU (not that CPU should be possible since you'd only have one of those and would be using it for the CPU) it won't work.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

In theory they should be designed like that, but just in case, you can check that the ports on the PSU you've plugged the GPU power connectors into say either PCIe or perhaps VGA.  If you plug them into the ones designed for sata, molex, or CPU (not that CPU should be possible since you'd only have one of those and would be using it for the CPU) it won't work.

which one should I plug it into? what is VGA?

23 minutes ago, Kodi4444 said:

which one should I plug it into? what is VGA?

Sometimes you'll see PCIe power connectors labelled as VGA, it's a hold over of an old use of that term