i5 7500 vs Pentium G4560

I'm hoping to build a SFF PC, and was planning on using a Core i5 7500. I then started to hear about how the Pentium G4560 performed really well for gaming, and am wondering if I should get it instead to help with the budget. I'm going to use a GTX 1060 6GB, and will be mostly gaming (1080p 60Hz). My main question is if 2 extra cores, no hyper-threading, twice the cache, and turbo boost are worth the extra $100. Any thoughts?

Depends on the games you will be playing, and whether they value the CPU or GPU to be more important. Have you considered the upper end of ryzen 3 or lower end of ryzen 5?, they seem to offer a good amount of cores and threads for a cheeper price than intel. If you already have the board for example, go with whichever you can afford, as both will work very well.

3 minutes ago, Villager #4 said:

I'm hoping to build a SFF PC, and was planning on using a Core i5 7500. I then started to hear about how the Pentium G4560 performed really well for gaming, and am wondering if I should get it instead to help with the budget. I'm going to use a GTX 1060 6GB, and will be mostly gaming (1080p 60Hz). My main question is if 2 extra cores, no hyper-threading, twice the cache, and turbo boost are worth the extra $100. Any thoughts?

Worth the extra $100? Na not really.
GamersNexus did some testing and found that the G4560 bottlenecked any GPU AFTER the 1060. So the G4560 is basically a perfect choice for that GPU for gaming. 
If you are doing any content creation, heavy-ish multitasking etc then you need the extra 2 cores. If not, GET THE G4560!

1 minute ago, Wrb said:

Depends on the games you will be playing, and whether they value the CPU or GPU to be more important. Have you considered the upper end of ryzen 3 or lower end of ryzen 5?, they seem to offer a good amount of cores and threads for a cheeper price than intel. If you already have the board for example, go with whichever you can afford, as both will work very well.

I've considered Ryzen, but the big issue is that there are very few ITX motherboards for them, and the ones that are out are kinda pricey. 

I did a build with the g4560 recently for a father's day gift (Will link below) and honestly it doesn't bottleneck anything up to the 1060 or rx580. So unless your planning on doing a lot more creation content that would benefit for 2 more cores, there is no reason to go with the i5, as you can always upgrade to later as well. Read my post I listed some benchmarks on it, and Nexus Gaming did a great review on the cpu. I truly believe for any 1080p gamers there is 0 reason to go with anything more then the g4560 unless your doing heavier creation things with the PC. Purely 1080p gaming within anything up to Rx580 or 1060, there is no value to buying anything more then the g4560.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

Well the difference is obvious, i5 has 2 cores more so expect much better performance, but why would you buy i5 7500 instead of ryzen 1400 or ryzen 3?You can either wait a month or two for ryzen 3, or buy pentium and hope it lasts 2 years (anything less than that and it simply won't be worth it).I'd rather buy ryzen 3 and rx 570 than pentium and gtx 1060.

30 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Well the difference is obvious, i5 has 2 cores more so expect much better performance, but why would you buy i5 7500 instead of ryzen 1400 or ryzen 3?You can either wait a month or two for ryzen 3, or buy pentium and hope it lasts 2 years (anything less than that and it simply won't be worth it).I'd rather buy ryzen 3 and rx 570 than pentium and gtx 1060.

Depending on where the OP lives there may not be an option to go for a 470 as they are all sold out or selling for a higher price than 470s. I've seen 1060s go for £180 where as to get an in stock 470 it's more like £200.

10 minutes ago, Wrb said:

Depending on where the OP lives there may not be an option to go for a 470 as they are all sold out or selling for a higher price than 470s. I've seen 1060s go for £180 where as to get an in stock 470 it's more like £200.

He might find it in stock when r3 comes out.

• 10 months later...
On 6/14/2017 at 2:46 PM, MyName13 said:

G4560 has HT @ 2c/4t. The i5 7500U is 4c/4t. Technically same core count, but higher clock frequencies. That would cause some minor fluctuations, but nothing so major as to decrease overall performance to unusable (or in-gamable)

3 hours ago, Hillefied said:

G4560 has HT @ 2c/4t. The i5 7500U is 4c/4t. Technically same core count, but higher clock frequencies. That would cause some minor fluctuations, but nothing so major as to decrease overall performance to unusable (or in-gamable)

What the hell?

3 hours ago, Hillefied said:

why are you replying to a year old thread?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

• 1 month later...

DO NOT buy the g4560. Not many in people mention this but the g4560 WILL stutter your games especially the AAA titles. I own one and believe me, games like GTA V, ROTTR will make your cpu usage 100% and the GPU (1050Ti) is only 60 something percent.When this happens, your gpu can't release it's full potential especially since you're using a 1060. Take it from me, you'll regret it.

6 minutes ago, Yoolooooo122 said:

DO NOT buy the g4560. Not many in people mention this but the g4560 WILL stutter your games especially the AAA titles. I own one and believe me, games like GTA V, ROTTR will make your cpu usage 100% and the GPU (1050Ti) is only 60 something percent.When this happens, your gpu can't release it's full potential especially since you're using a 1060. Take it from me, you'll regret it.

June. 15th. 2017.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 6/23/2018 at 2:25 PM, Dabombinable said:

June. 15th. 2017.

Better late than never