Beginner water cooling loop

Hi, I'm building my first PC in a few days and wanted to cool my CPU with an AIO... Then I saw the EK A240G and thought about getting it,

since it doesn't make a difference price-wise. My only questions are: Would you recommend to do a custom loop with such little experience in PC-Building?

And would you recommend this kit to a Beginner?

12 minutes ago, Fake Deemon© said:

Hi, I'm building my first PC in a few days and wanted to cool my CPU with an AIO... Then I saw the EK A240G and thought about getting it,

since it doesn't make a difference price-wise. My only questions are: Would you recommend to do a custom loop with such little experience in PC-Building?

It depends, honestly, some people will never be able to do one, other can, if you can describe yourself as a logic person, fast learner, that follows the instruction manual and isn't afraid of googling or asking on a forum, then yes you should do it. doing a loop with soft tubing when the parts are prematched for you is as easy as building the PC itself

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

It all depends on what CPU you are looking to get. If it's a locked (non 'K') CPU then you can forget about it as all they need is the stock air cooler, if though you are getting an unlocked ('K') CPU then yes go for it. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

14 minutes ago, Fake Deemon© said:

dont. AIOS are cheaper and are good enough for you. 

I would absolutely get it, the GPU block etc makes it a great value.

In terms of experience with building PC's its pretty simple all things considered, there are plenty of video tutorials to follow

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

As many have told me for I am in the same position as you go soft tubing, plan out your loop, and watch as many tutorials as you can so you can properly understand water cooling. Remember that it isn't like air which you can just use compressed air to maintain it, you should clean out the loop ever 6-12 months. See what case spacing you have for rads, there are also the ekwb kits online that are pretty much already done for you, all you have to do is get the liquid in and get the loop to fit, with the fittings. Minimum number of bends is always important. 

5 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

It all depends on what CPU you are looking to get. If it's a locked (non 'K') CPU then you can forget about it as all they need is the stock air cooler, if though you are getting an unlocked ('K') CPU then yes go for it. 

It's gonna be a Ryzen 7 1700

6 minutes ago, Kevo05s said:

It depends, honestly, some people will never be able to do one, other can, if you can describe yourself as a logic person, fast learner, that follows the instruction manual and isn't afraid of googling or asking on a forum, then yes you should do it. doing a loop with soft tubing when the parts are prematched for you is as easy as building the PC itself

I should be able to do it then Thanks!

I would use the EKWB configurator for finding out specific heat wattages. It's really good for that:

https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/

I would recommend using the bequiet PSU calculator: http://www.bequiet.com/en/psucalculator 

On 6/12/2017 at 8:49 AM, Aloe Vera said:

Best advise I can give is to not skimp out on your drain and fill port components. Although a Ball Valve costs £15 it makes draining so much cleaner. The EKWB configurator is good but it doesn't advise on drain and fill port components, and it really should!

I would also get a spare fitting and some spare tubing (normally you'll have some left over from a 3 metre length) to connect to your fill port so you can fill your loop with a funnel well away from the system in case you spill anything - you really don't want to be filling over your PC. You can also use this to connect to the drain port and drain it accurately into a container.

On top of that it may seem obvious but having the fill port connect to your loop as HIGH as possible in your system is ideal. And having your drain port as LOW as possible in your loop is best as well.

Is there anything in particular you are unsure about?

And of course best of luck with the build!

5 minutes ago, Haeking said:

As many have told me for I am in the same position as you go soft tubing, plan out your loop, and watch as many tutorials as you can so you can properly understand water cooling. Remember that it isn't like air which you can just use compressed air to maintain it, you should clean out the loop ever 6-12 months. See what case spacing you have for rads, there are also the ekwb kits online that are pretty much already done for you, all you have to do is get the liquid in and get the loop to fit, with the fittings. Minimum number of bends is always important. 

1. soft tubing is bullet proof in terms of leak, you just need to hand tight everything, and you wont have any problem, the only thing to make sure is buy tubing that is the proper size from both inner diameter and outer diameter, which is preselected for you in the kit, so it's worry free..
  2. You don't need to clean the loop that often. EK's additive is to help preventing corosion in your loop. If you mix the additive with distilled water, you can be good for at least 2 years without requiring maintenance.
  3. The kit he's looking at is the new EK g240a kit, which is amazingly cheap for what it does. (See jayztwocents review here)
  4. bends arent an issue anymore, pumps are good enough. minimum tubing for minimum restriction is good, but the more water there is in the loop, the longer it takes to warm the water up, so it's not bad. just make sure you dont have kinks in your tubes.

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

9 minutes ago, Fake Deemon© said:

It's gonna be a Ryzen 7 1700

Okay

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

6 minutes ago, Haeking said:

I would use the EKWB configurator for finding out specific heat wattages. It's really good for that:

https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/

I would recommend using the bequiet PSU calculator: http://www.bequiet.com/en/psucalculator 

1 minute ago, Haeking said:

lastly these kits from ekwb are a great start: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=2YM-0010-00018 

Im using one myself, if not I will be changing out a few things for my two builds, just find out which rad size is subtitle for your case, and if your psu can handle the wattage of all you have in your pc

I can't find any Ball Valves that are compatible with Aluminium parts tho, at least from ek

18 minutes ago, Kevo05s said:

It took me around 6 months to build my pc. I had all the parts, just didn't know how to build it. 

CPU - i7-4790k

GPU - MSI 980 Ti 

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Memory - 32 GB DDR3

Storage - 3.4 TB

Full List : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sPgN8d

18 minutes ago, Kevo05s said:
  1. soft tubing is bullet proof in terms of leak, you just need to hand tight everything, and you wont have any problem, the only thing to make sure is buy tubing that is the proper size from both inner diameter and outer diameter, which is preselected for you in the kit, so it's worry free..
  2. You don't need to clean the loop that often. EK's additive is to help preventing corosion in your loop. If you mix the additive with distilled water, you can be good for at least 2 years without requiring maintenance.
  3. The kit he's looking at is the new EK g240a kit, which is amazingly cheap for what it does. (See jayztwocents review here)
  4. bends arent an issue anymore, pumps are good enough. minimum tubing for minimum restriction is good, but the more water there is in the loop, the longer it takes to warm the water up, so it's not bad. just make sure you dont have kinks in your tubes.

Do you think it's enough for a 1080 ti and a ryzen 1700?

Just now, Fake Deemon© said:

it should be. Jayztwocents (he's the guy to look up for custom watercooling btw) did a test where he had a 1080 which is 180W+ a 140W CPU while you will be putting a 65W CPU with 250W GPU. it's about the same amount of power dropped into the loop. If you want a bit lower temps, or the ability to overclock higher (and keep the temps down) just get another ALUMINIUM radiator (even just a 120mm) and 2 extra fittings that are identicals to the ones that came with your loop. and an extra fan, one like the one that came with your loop and you'd be golden.

20 minutes ago, Fake Deemon© said:

I can't find any Ball Valves that are compatible with Aluminium parts tho, at least from ek

22 minutes ago, Fake Deemon© said:

You can find aluminum fittings on any other website, just make sure to buy enough for the planned loop

5 minutes ago, Fake Deemon© said:

Yes go with a evga fe 1080 ti and if you can get a waterblock for it, you can oc it to 2.2ghz and the 1700 can be oc as well for some good ghz on it 

1 minute ago, Kevo05s said:

it should be. Jayztwocents (he's the guy to look up for custom watercooling btw) did a test where he had a 1080 which is 180W+ a 140W CPU while you will be putting a 65W CPU with 250W GPU. it's about the same amount of power dropped into the loop. If you want a bit lower temps, or the ability to overclock higher (and keep the temps down) just get another ALUMINIUM radiator (even just a 120mm) and 2 extra fittings that are identicals to the ones that came with your loop. and an extra fan, one like the one that came with your loop and you'd be golden.

Thanks, I actually watched his video too, that's how I got the idea... :D

3 minutes ago, Haeking said:

You can find aluminum fittings on any other website, just make sure to buy enough for the planned loop

Yes go with a evga fe 1080 ti and if you can get a waterblock for it, you can oc it to 2.2ghz and the 1700 can be oc as well for some good ghz on it 

Yeah the waterblock is included

Thanks, I actually watched his video too, that's how I got the idea... :D

Liquid cooling isn't as hard as most people think it is, though it takes more patience, and remember, measure once, cut twice measure twice, cut once.

There's a huge watercooling community out there that are willing to help you. If I happen to be on the forum, I'll be glad to help!

1 minute ago, Kevo05s said:

Liquid cooling isn't as hard as most people think it is, though it takes more patience, and remember, measure once, cut twice measure twice, cut once.

There's a huge watercooling community out there that are willing to help you. If I happen to be on the forum, I'll be glad to help!

Thanks man!

Ahh that kit is clean, perfect for you, and honestly you should have any rough time with the water cooling. Just watch some more videos, get the hang of it, and tackle it like the champ I know you are man!! Best of Luck :)