What harm is there in installing a vpn at the work computer?

slayerming2
15 minutes ago, slayerming2 said:

It's 100% work related. I edited the reason into the post above.

I still wouldn't.  You could still be accused of doing things you shouldn't because some people associate wanting privacy with wanting to do something wrong.  

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Agreed - if IT has designed the network properly, then the WIFI you're connecting to is segmented via firewall or VLAN (or both) to only allow outside internet access, and block any traffic trying to access company servers, etc.

Especially if they have a "separate" SSID/WIFI network for work laptops, etc.

Okay thank you very much for the detailed explanation and everything else!

You can do whatever you want on your own personal device.

But here is my suggestion to talk to work about.

At my previous employer, I needed access to some sites that were either region blocked or deep/dark web accessible only. I needed access to TOR. Obviously they (work) didn't want me to have it on a secured company network. So, instead they gave us a "white line". An access point through a local ISP. One machine, not linked to the company's network, so you couldn't damage anything. Got TOR and took care of business.

If access is needed for more than a 1 time thing, this could potentially be viable. Especially if this would benefit more than just you... Like maybe. Team working on a specific project or something.

5 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

You can do whatever you want on your own personal device.

But here is my suggestion to talk to work about.

At my previous employer, I needed access to some sites that were either region blocked or deep/dark web accessible only. I needed access to TOR. Obviously they (work) didn't want me to have it on a secured company network. So, instead they gave us a "white line". An access point through a local ISP. One machine, not linked to the company's network, so you couldn't damage anything. Got TOR and took care of business.

If access is needed for more than a 1 time thing, this could potentially be viable. Especially if this would benefit more than just you... Like maybe. Team working on a specific project or something.

Yeah the stuff I need it for is so much less important then that. Honestly just made this post out of curiosities sake. But thanks for the help!

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Assuming your personal phone is not connected to corporate resources (Eg: Company servers), then there's less harm, certainly.

But you're trying to solve a problem incorrectly. As I said, if your own website is blocked, then you should talk to management and IT, and get them to setup a site-to-site VPN Connection to another branch/office that has access to the company website.

This is the correct way to do it. Many businesses don't even want you to use personal property for company work.

this. 

have you explained to the IT guy WHY you wanted a VPN ? 

if you just went "hey, [insert name of IT guy] i want a VPN" you probably had some red lights light up in his head

if you went "hey, [insert name of IT guy], i need to access the website of our branch office in whereverland but access from our location here is blocked, is there a way to solve this? a vpn maybe?" he will be more likely to help you