Network Setup

Gecko
Go to solution Solved by Komadi,

The 11 mb/s sounds like some port is running at 100mbit/s instead of gigabit. Check if your port on your PC is running at gigabit

Hi guy and girls,

I need your help, Since my crash my I.T. skills are not what they used to be

Main reason I am doing what I am doing is due to slow data transfer only 11mb per sec

Hardware

I have a generic modem from my provider ROGERS

Router - Model Name: D-LINK DIR-890L

Synology - DiskStation DS1515+

All my cables are cat6 but still got slow data transfer between the Synology and a desktop

If you need to know more please let me know but

The Synology is connect to the router 4 times over and one is connect to the desktop

So I am also now buying a switch in what order should it go

Modem - Router - Switch - NAS

or

Modem - Switch - Router - NAS

Look forward to any help.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️

Modem > Router > Switch > Everything else. 

Modem > Switch > Router won't work for anything connected to the switch unless your ISP provides you multiple public IP addresses, which I doubt they do.

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Modem > Router > Switch > Everything else. 

Modem > Switch > Router won't work for anything connected to the switch unless your ISP provides you multiple public IP addresses, which is doubt they do.

Thats what I though!

The 11 mb/s sounds like some port is running at 100mbit/s instead of gigabit. Check if your port on your PC is running at gigabit

8 minutes ago, Koenyie said:

How can I check that?

Just now, Gecko said:

How can I check that?

Go to control panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and sharing center -> Change adapter settings -> double click on your ethernet adapter. Here it displays the speed of the adapter

The router and NAS both support gigabit speeds, so the only bottleneck here would be your computer. Check that for us. For a reference, 10/100 will get a maximum of 12.5 MB per second, whereas 10/100/1000 (gigabit) can (theoretically) get 125 MB per second. The 11 MB/s you're getting is about what 10/100 will get you when you take any overhead into account. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Well thanks very very much guys I am getting alot more speed after getting a gigabit card put in and boom problem solved no longer waiting longer than a day for 8 TB of data to trasfer only 8 hours.

Thanks very much to you all!