New PC won't connect to the internet. I've tried everything

Go to solution Solved by lukesterboy,
17 minutes ago, icewizard64 said:

okay, tried the release/renew and it didn't work. what should i do now to fix it?

Ok, the easy fix would just be setting a static IP, this means you filling out the IP details for you computer instead of the the computer getting the details from router (DHCP server).

But i've had a quick read and the easiest fix for this 169.254.xxx.xxx problem is as follows (if this doesn't work we will just take the static ip route, it just means that if you take your laptop to another network you will have to change the details to suit there network, assuming DHCP (auto assigning of ip address information) doesn't work on there network also, so best to try this first then you don't have to mess about with IP stuff in the future):

I've have tried to tail these instructions to you as much as possible.

Steps to follow:

cmd 1.PNG
  1. Run CMD
  2.  Now type the below command below
     netsh interface ipv4 show inter
  3. It will show like this.
  4.  You have a problem with your adapter and its name is "Wi-Fi" so look out for that. Now find out its corresponding Idx number (at the begging of the line).
  5. For example my adapter is called "Ethernet" and Its Idx=16 (we will use this idx number in next code, but yours your Idx number for "Wi-Fi"
  6. Now type in this code and replace your Idx number, as mine is 16
     netsh interface ipv4 set interface 16 dadtransmits=0 store=persistent 
so where it says 16 just but you Idx number instead.

1. If it says OK, then good.
  2. Now Click on Start and Run again and Type Services.msc then go down to DHCP Client right click on it and Click on Properties click on Startup Type select Disabled.
  3. Now Click on Stop Button Below And click on Ok
    3.jpg
  4. Disconnect from your wireless network and then Restart your System
  5. After Restart don't connect back just yet, Come again to Services.msc find DHCP client right click on it and Click on Properties click on Startup Type now change it back to Automatic
  6. Click on Start button below and then Ok.
  7. Now connect back to your network and see if it works, if not check in cmd "ipconfig" to see if you still have that weird "169.254.xxx.xxx" IP. If so last restort we can just set a static IP. 

Hey guys,

So my PC is a custom build with a Broadcom 802.11 network card. I had it at my last house and it connected to the NBN internet fine but now i've moved we have ADSL2 and it won't connect.

I've tried everything. Turned the router off and on, checked that the firewall and antivirus weren't interfering,  command prompt to the clear the dns and reset everything and nothing. There's no reason it shouldn't be working. My laptop connects just fine, it's just my towers that won't.

Any ideas?

Check your IPV4 Configuration to make sure it doesn't have any manual addresses saved.

Failing that take it to a friends house (or even a public hotspot) and test to see if it connects.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Does your DSL connection require a software login application or does it just rely on the login saved in the DSL modem or modem/router?

16 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Check your IPV4 Configuration to make sure it doesn't have any manual addresses saved.

Failing that take it to a friends house (or even a public hotspot) and test to see if it connects.

I just checked and those settings don't have anything saved. I only just moved and it was working fine at my last address. I don't think i changed any settings after i moved

4 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Does your DSL connection require a software login application or does it just rely on the login saved in the DSL modem or modem/router?

I've never had to use any software to connect. I normally just click on the network i want to join and type the password and it works. I don't know why it's stopped working.

Ah...not a DSL problem then, pure wireless-related or software.  Does it behave if you run an ethernet cable to the router?

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

Ah...not a DSL problem then, pure wireless-related or software.  Does it behave if you run an ethernet cable to the router?

I haven't tried ethernet yet because i'd have to dismantle two setups to get to the router. I might see if i can do that now though since i've already tried everything else. Would re-installing the operating system help? Last time i did that i only had to re-install the NVIDIA software and win 10 seemed to pick up all the other drivers

I doubt it's the OS.  You might try installing the specific driver for the wireless card from the card manufacturer's site.

What's the error message you actually get when you try to connect?

6 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

I doubt it's the OS.  You might try installing the specific driver for the wireless card from the card manufacturer's site.

What's the error message you actually get when you try to connect?

On chrome is says err_network_changed. when i tried to connect before it just said can't connect to this network and i seem to have disable my bluetooth adapter playing with settings somehow.

running the troubleshooter it says, problem with wireless adapter or access point and a network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken

23 minutes ago, icewizard64 said:

I haven't tried ethernet yet because i'd have to dismantle two setups to get to the router. I might see if i can do that now though since i've already tried everything else. Would re-installing the operating system help? Last time i did that i only had to re-install the NVIDIA software and win 10 seemed to pick up all the other drivers

Just plugged it in via ethernet and it works so it must be the wifi card?

12 hours ago, icewizard64 said:

Just plugged it in via ethernet and it works so it must be the wifi card?

Drivers? Are they up to date or even installed?

15 hours ago, lukesterboy said:

Drivers? Are they up to date or even installed?

drivers are all up to date and installed. The pc was working at my last house and i haven't changed anything on it since then

2 minutes ago, icewizard64 said:

drivers are all up to date and installed. The pc was working at my last house and i haven't changed anything on it since then

Can you even get connected to the network and it's just the internet not working? Or you can't even get connected to the network itself?

1 minute ago, lukesterboy said:

Can you even get connected to the network and it's just the internet not working? Or you can't even get connected to the network itself?

The network shows up on my list and i can click on it. Sometimes it connects but has no internet and sometimes it says "can't connect to this network"

4 minutes ago, icewizard64 said:

The network shows up on my list and i can click on it. Sometimes it connects but has no internet and sometimes it says "can't connect to this network"

How far are you from the router, do you have a weak signal? (How many bars)

Just now, lukesterboy said:

How far are you from the router, do you have a weak signal? (How many bars)

I'm in a two story house and the router's downstairs. The bars change between half and full but i'm using my laptop in the same room upstairs with full bars and no problem.

1 minute ago, icewizard64 said:

I'm in a two story house and the router's downstairs. The bars change between half and full but i'm using my laptop in the same room upstairs with full bars and no problem.

Hmm. So Ethernet works fine, so you must be right in saying it is the wireless card. You've updated drivers (to the latest i assume). Have you tried deleting the saved network and then try reconnecting?

Just now, lukesterboy said:

Hmm. So Ethernet works fine, so you must be right in saying it is the wireless card. You've updated drivers (to the latest i assume). Have you tried deleting the saved network and then try reconnecting?

yes, i followed an article that did command prompts to forget the network, reset it, flush dns and all that. I managed to delete my computers ability to detect my blue tooth adapter plugged in the back though so i have to find a way to get that back but otherwise i've really tried everything i can think of.

My brother offered a solution in the form of an ethernet adapter kit which i've ordered so hopefully that will work but i still want to know why it stopped working and what the problem is. Thanks for the help by the way, i appreciate it :)

3 minutes ago, icewizard64 said:

yes, i followed an article that did command prompts to forget the network, reset it, flush dns and all that. I managed to delete my computers ability to detect my blue tooth adapter plugged in the back though so i have to find a way to get that back but otherwise i've really tried everything i can think of.

My brother offered a solution in the form of an ethernet adapter kit which i've ordered so hopefully that will work but i still want to know why it stopped working and what the problem is. Thanks for the help by the way, i appreciate it :)

Oh ok. Props to you for trying all of that already. I'm really confused as well. You mention that you now have ADSL, does this mean the router has changed since your last house? It might just be the router being funny with that wifi network adapter (or vice versa)

1 minute ago, lukesterboy said:

Oh ok. Props to you for trying all of that already. I'm really confused as well. You mention that you now have ADSL, does this mean the router has changed since your last house? It might just be the router being funny with that wifi network adapter (or vice versa)

yea, my last house had NBN (Australian edition?) so the phone relied on the internet staying connected and they had to set up a new optus router to connect to that system and the pc worked fine there. The house i'm at now still has the older style ADSL2 so the phone is separate from the router and we're using a belkin one we've had for years. The only other thing i can think of is that i took it in to a computer shop to get something repaired before i tried to connect it here and they would've connected it to their ethernet but i don't think that would make a difference?

29 minutes ago, icewizard64 said:

yea, my last house had NBN (Australian edition?) so the phone relied on the internet staying connected and they had to set up a new optus router to connect to that system and the pc worked fine there. The house i'm at now still has the older style ADSL2 so the phone is separate from the router and we're using a belkin one we've had for years. The only other thing i can think of is that i took it in to a computer shop to get something repaired before i tried to connect it here and they would've connected it to their ethernet but i don't think that would make a difference?

I see. I suppose its possible the computer shop automatically installed updates for you etc, possibly breaking the wifi card.

7 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

I see. I suppose its possible the computer shop automatically installed updates for you etc, possibly breaking the wifi card.

They installed a whole bunch of stuff to try and sort out the problem i had. How would i know if the card is broken and if it is, does that change the approach to fix it or would i need a new card?

49 minutes ago, icewizard64 said:

They installed a whole bunch of stuff to try and sort out the problem i had. How would i know if the card is broken and if it is, does that change the approach to fix it or would i need a new card?

Yeh this could be the problem, you could try rolling back, restore point or something like that. The only way i can think to test if the card is broken is in another pc. Or you could just try another drive with a different copy of windows on if you have one lying around.

You could try disabling the wifi adaptor in network and sharing center, then create a new adaptor and go through the setup, see if that works. If it doesn't, no problem as you can just re-enable the one you disabled.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Can you show us a screen shot by the way of your IPV4 settings?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini